SugarVenom

Ride Headdress Controversey

I actually didn't view her as being a prostitute to be honest. I saw it more as she was their "pretty little object" that we stereotypically believe all biker groups to have. The girl that they all had and all loved who they take around with them but genuinely adore. I think what solidified that most for me was the scene with the guy brushing her hair. Brushing someone's hair is typically an affectionate perhaps even paternal sign, neither of which I associate with prostitution.

I got a strong sense that while she experienced happy times with those men there was also a good deal of sadness. The sadness can be felt in the melancholy of the music and lyrics, in the monologue talking about dashed dreams and having no home, in her sad facial expressions in many scenes. And then there is the scene outside the grocery store, which suggests a prostitute-like behavior, and the scene with the pinball machine, which suggests rather callous treatment from one of her lovers. Those relationships didn't seem very happy to me.

I don't know, that headdress scene seems to fit into that bittersweet context.

Watching all our friends fall in and out of Old Paul's, this is my idea of fun

To me, the video is about someone who's been treated like trash, desperately looking for community, and finding it in (to the viewer) unexpected places. It's not just controversial; it's worldview-challenging. I think it's asking the viewer to re-evaluate how we think about human dignity.

Everyone's life experience is different, but most of us know what it's like to be treated like trash. Some methods are more large-scale and life-threatening than others. A person whose entire tribe is being "thrown away" is in a different physical circumstance from someone raised in relative physical safety who chooses to leave. But on a psychological level -- at a deep soul level -- if you're told enough times that you're trash, the desperation and despair is real. It doesn't go away just because someone, somewhere can find a way to tell you some way that you're privileged. At the point of desperation, I think any such privilege becomes theoretical.

At that point, the last thing you need is a community that tells you who's more important than whom. You need a community that tells you, you matter too.

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

I'm posting this in the moderators discussion because it shows a picture of Charlie, and I dont want everyone seeing (UNLESS EVERYONE HAS SEEN ALREADY)

This may be old, or whatsoever, already posted but I just want confirmation,

is Andrei Gillott wearing the headdress from the RIDE video?

391635_10151415904781978_558618698_n.jpg