Jack

Melanie Martinez

17 hours ago, The Siren said:

wait when did mel and oliver break up? im curious to see it in the timeline of Portals sessions

Such a good question actually, @Coloringbooks

might be able to give you a legit answer. If not, the easiest bet is to pull up the PORTALS timeline and look closely at sessions made after they supposedly broke up, but before she announced it. And then of course, everything after that too.

I just think it's pretty telling that October/November of 2020 is when she starts writing songs like Void, Garden, etc., then in late 2021 - early 2022, we get songs like EVIL. As if she was trying to be subtle in the beginning, and not draw attention to who she was really talking about, but after a couple years decided he didn't deserve that much.. personally I support that.

This just genuinely seems to be the year that so many people, Melanie included, have decided to go nuclear on their narcissistic exes. As a survivor of a violent narcissist myself, I truly hope to see the trend continue.

"Left me all by myself to let the garden grow

Planted a seed, then ran

Hey, where'd the water go?

Lay me on a bed of dead roses, though

Dug out a hole, then sowed

That's where your body goes

Garden, it won't grow

Tied the hose, off you go

Next time you jump the gun

Better be walkin' slow"

Such a good fucking song. Wish so badly that it made the final cut because it would've been a #1 for sure, and showed so many people what she's really capable of writing-wise.

does anyone have a masterpost? i lost mine

SaTdw.gifSaTdd.gif

6 hours ago, ButterflyBones said:

might be able to give you a legit answer. If not, the easiest bet is to pull up the PORTALS timeline and look closely at sessions made after they supposedly broke up, but before she announced it. And then of course, everything after that too.

I just think it's pretty telling that October/November of 2020 is when she starts writing songs like Void, Garden, etc., then in late 2021 - early 2022, we get songs like EVIL. As if she was trying to be subtle in the beginning, and not draw attention to who she was really talking about, but after a couple years decided he didn't deserve that much.. personally I support that.

This just genuinely seems to be the year that so many people, Melanie included, have decided to go nuclear on their narcissistic exes. As a survivor of a violent narcissist myself, I truly hope to see the trend continue.

she was confirmed with him until May 2020, after that we don't really know.

9 hours ago, ButterflyBones said:

as someone living with a violent narcissist, please god no do not encourage this, although evil is one of the best songs we've got from portals, that's not saying much considering how so far, portals is flopping, i'm all abt Melanie writing songs abt her exes but the following trends shit? yeah no that's the whole reason the mixing is meh at best and the writing is.. well definitely there, the whole reason Melanie got so big is because she went against the trends at the time in a innovative way, and now she's just doing whatever Atlantic wants, trying to make trends, when she easily could with her unreleased songs but she doesn't wanna release those for some reason, I get it she wants to make new music, but it just does not work when your trna make it trendy, we know she was even doing that by "interpolating" songs that were popular at the time such as fingers crosseds melody being the intro of after dark, Its not just she went full on nuclear, Its just she wanted to follow a trend hoping It'd catch on, did it work? yeah, a lot of songs on tiktok are having short bursts of trends but nothing big, unfortunately I'd dare say this era has been her worst so far, K-12 has lost her spotlight as the worst album in mel's discography 

Aku is coming for you <3

Help me I'm on MQ

3 hours ago, olee said:
Spoiler

as someone living with a violent narcissist, please god no do not encourage this, although evil is one of the best songs we've got from portals, that's not saying much considering how so far, portals is flopping, i'm all abt Melanie writing songs abt her exes but the following trends shit? yeah no that's the whole reason the mixing is meh at best and the writing is.. well definitely there, the whole reason Melanie got so big is because she went against the trends at the time in a innovative way, and now she's just doing whatever Atlantic wants, trying to make trends, when she easily could with her unreleased songs but she doesn't wanna release those for some reason, I get it she wants to make new music, but it just does not work when your trna make it trendy, we know she was even doing that by "interpolating" songs that were popular at the time such as fingers crosseds melody being the intro of after dark, Its not just she went full on nuclear, Its just she wanted to follow a trend hoping It'd catch on, did it work? yeah, a lot of songs on tiktok are having short bursts of trends but nothing big, unfortunately I'd dare say this era has been her worst so far, K-12 has lost her spotlight as the worst album in mel's discography 

I'm sorry, but what? Melanie wasn't "following a trend".. This music was clearly personal to her, and was finished by the end of 2022, before the people I was referring to even shared their own stories(one of them literally being today). And I don't think you can call the chick walking around in a pink alien fairy costume a "trend follower" anyway, lol.

Second, the mixing on certain songs is bad because CJ decided to go crazy on the de-S'er, not because Melanie decided to write a few songs about her shitty ex. She produced VOID all by herself and it still has better mixing than a lot of the songs he worked on. I also think you're misunderstanding how much freedom and choice an artist has under a label like Atlantic Records.. There's no way they'd let her release years worth of back-catalog, press records and CDs, and give her a promo budget. They really don't even let their top artists have that kind of control over their releases.

Lastly, I'd definitely call putting a recording of Oliver Tree on cocaine attacking her in her own home at the end of 'LEECHES' a nuclear move. And good for her, he deserves to be exposed for the bitch he is if that's how he really is behind closed doors. 

its-what-she-deserves-kim-kardashian.gif

Calling Melanie a "trend follower"…  :toofloppy:

Anyways, while we're on the topic of Oliver Tree— there's songs like Absorb, Maze, Paper Cut and Under the Desk which have similar lyrical themes and were being worked on very closely together (between the span of like February–March of 2020). Particularly, Absorb and Paper Cut mention going through troubling times in a relationship but hoping to overcome them.

We can't be 100% sure who Melanie was singing about, but since she was dating Oliver dating at the time, I'm inclined to believe those were written about their relationship. They unfollowed each other in July of 2020, so that might've been when they officially broke things off. 

PS: I really think Void (2020) being about him and Leeches having his vocals at the end are reaches lol

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕 

5 hours ago, Coloringbooks said:

Calling Melanie a "trend follower"…  :toofloppy:

Anyways, while we're on the topic of Oliver Tree— there's songs like Absorb, Maze, Paper Cut and Under the Desk which have similar lyrical themes and were being worked on very closely together (between the span of like February–March of 2020). Particularly, Absorb and Paper Cut mention going through troubling times in a relationship but hoping to overcome them.

We can't be 100% sure who Melanie was singing about, but since she was dating Oliver dating at the time, I'm inclined to believe those were written about their relationship. They unfollowed each other in July of 2020, so that might've been when they officially broke things off. 

PS: I really think Void (2020) being about him and Leeches having his vocals at the end are reaches lol

Wait I have papercut as a 2016 song? It's from 2020???

1 hour ago, The Siren said:

Wait I have papercut as a 2016 song? It's from 2020???

There's Papercut the 2016 song ("Don't be sad, it's really not that bad for you. It's only just a little papercut or two") 

And then Paper Cut the 2020 song ("You say it's just a papercut. I'm bleeding out, your stitches aren't enough")

13 minutes ago, Coloringbooks said:

There's Papercut the 2016 song ("Don't be sad, it's really not that bad for you. It's only just a little papercut or two") 

And then Paper Cut the 2020 song ("You say it's just a papercut. I'm bleeding out, your stitches aren't enough")

WAIT ITS NOT CALLED STITCHES????!?!?!?!? HUHHHHUHHHHH?!?!?!?!

mod queue king

stream portals

give me munniez <3

8 hours ago, ButterflyBones said:

Lastly, I'd definitely call putting a recording of Oliver Tree on cocaine attacking her in her own home at the end of 'LEECHES' a nuclear move. And good for her, he deserves to be exposed for the bitch he is if that's how he really is behind closed doors. 

I'd love to see you're proof of this.

Aku is coming for you <3

Help me I'm on MQ

47 minutes ago, Coloringbooks said:

stitches is actually called paper cut??

Aku is coming for you <3

Help me I'm on MQ

1 hour ago, Coloringbooks said:

Is stitches actually called paper cut? When did we talk about this here????

1 hour ago, The Siren said:

Is stitches actually called paper cut?

Yes :P she loves reusing titles

1 hour ago, Coloringbooks said:

Yes :P she loves reusing titles

What other titles don't we know abt... next thing your gonna turn around and tell us history is called sugar

Aku is coming for you <3

Help me I'm on MQ

1 hour ago, olee said:

What other titles don't we know abt... next thing your gonna turn around and tell us history is called sugar

inb4 @Coloringbooks says sirens v2 is called womb :oic2:

mod queue king

stream portals

give me munniez <3