Jack

Melanie Martinez

8 hours ago, Coloringbooks said:

Melanie should make more songs like this, it's still one of my favourites

Her voice just sounds heavenly here especially on the bridge :legend:

Rough Love is actually one of her best written songs. She was 17... and it was solo-writing. The Cry Baby version even had huge potential, if it weren't for the half-baked vocals and mixing 🥴

7 hours ago, WildChild said:

Rough Love is actually one of her best written songs. She was 17... and it was solo-writing. The Cry Baby version even had huge potential, if it weren't for the half-baked vocals and mixing 🥴

It's crazy how her art and lyrics made so much more sense when she was still basically a child than it does now, like some weird backwards evolution. She was 16 making grown adults cry in coffee shops with nothing but her voice and acoustic guitar. Now we're here.

It just goes to show how getting so absorbed in your art isn't always a good thing if you aren't fully fleshing it out and taking your ideas one at a time. 🙃

1 hour ago, ButterflyBones said:

It's crazy how her art and lyrics made so much more sense when she was still basically a child than it does now, like some weird backwards evolution. She was 16 making grown adults cry in coffee shops with nothing but her voice and acoustic guitar. Now we're here.

It just goes to show how getting so absorbed in your art isn't always a good thing if you aren't fully fleshing it out and taking your ideas one at a time. 🙃

i fear she might be surrounding herself around yesmen. she needs people to tell her no more.

Just now, Anonymcomenter said:

I think this is the problem… 

also, so mad course the leaks for MM3 were so promising and a back to form but we got instead… :defeated:

like, Miley's (almost) whole album (Plastic Hearts) leaked months in advance before even Midnight Sky was announced.

she released the leaks anyway, Melanie should have and could have kept going with what she was gonna release before the leaks

9 hours ago, ButterflyBones said:

i think about this a lot. her writing was so much better when it was just her and her guitar. there are some lines in the new album that are well written, but it's really nothing compared to her earlier work. it's very strange :awkney:

violets in your eyes

1 hour ago, viniciusfernandesx said:

hey does anyone had a link for an updated masterpost with high quality? i found one but most part of the songs are so lq :/ 

if by high quality you mean lossless, thats not really a thing for Mel's unreleased.

with her unreleased, its quality is all over the place

2 hours ago, viniciusfernandesx said:

hey does anyone had a link for an updated masterpost with high quality? i found one but most part of the songs are so lq :/ 

My files are pretty much hq tho i think the only mq/lq ones are the covers tbh. I can share in here but only on monday bc im away from my pc for now. Now that Portals is out i think its cute to share the outtakes so wait for that too 

18 hours ago, babetteateoatmeal said:

her writing was so much better when it was just her and her guitar. there are some lines in the new album that are well written, but it's really nothing compared to her earlier work. it's very strange :awkney:

Right? I cannot picture the Melanie that wrote A Million Men, Rough Love, Birthing Addicts, etc. writing shit like Class Fight or Nymphology. Just look at these(written around 28YO)..

Spoiler

It was the middle of class and the teacher wasn't looking

Kelly had a fat ass and trouble was cooking

She had a boy wrapped 'round her finger tight,

I fell in love with him but he wasn't in my life

The teacher gave me notes to go out and give Kelly

She was kissing Brandon and I got jelly

I wanted to be in her shoes for one day

I just waited til recess to make her pay

'Mommy, why do I feel sad? Should I give him away or feel this bad?'

'No, no, no, don't you choke.'

Daddy chimed in, 'go for the throat'

For the throat, for, for the throat(×5)"

"You can't even spell, but you're an 'expert' in Nymphology?

N-Y-M-P-H-O-L-O-G-Y

I'm kicking your ass out

Flutter my wings while I pout

Push your penis into your mouth

I'll make you choke on your doubt

Cut you off, watch you die

Just a fairy with a knife"

VS this for example(written when she was still a kid, with no help).

Spoiler

"Pulling teeth straight out of my mouth reeks of insecurities you poured into me

If these walls talked, they'd tell you to stop the murdering of my dignity

All the other boys wanted was to gaze in my eyes

And all your sick little brain craved was to see me cry

Look at me, what have I become?

Just a toy you played with and destroyed

All the other boys left me 'cause I wasn't good enough

Now I'm stuck with these nightmares of me accepting rough love

Every tear that falls from me is the last one you'll see

Tell myself this all the time

I don't know what changes my mind"

We all know what made a lot of her art so special was the maturity and depth behind childish themes/titles. And her lyrics aren't all bad now, they just haven't evolved half as far as I expected them to. The leaks show that she's still capable of amazing writing if she lets herself outside of the box though so hopefully she ditches the forced concepts next time.. I can't handle another mediocre album from her. :prettyhurts:

While I don't think all celebrities have to voice their opinions and speak up on politics, I think it's great that Melanie is raising awareness and isn't afraid to stand by her beliefs. I'm still seeing shit about people like Regina Spektor, and it makes me really happy to know Melanie's been using her platform to support Palestine―she was actually one of the first artists I saw talking about it. She's been super vocal about BLM for years too and even donated + went to multiple protests. Love her

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕 

7 hours ago, LunaeManifestum said:

My files are pretty much hq tho i think the only mq/lq ones are the covers tbh. I can share in here but only on monday bc im away from my pc for now. Now that Portals is out i think its cute to share the outtakes so wait for that too 

thank you ^^ i would love if you can share with us, i'll be waiting 🫶

I don’t usually do informative posts, but this caught my eye. There is a lot of confusion about the K-12/After School sessions and what is for which project.

*1  Melanie originally claimed K-12 was done around July 16th, 2016, with only deluxe tracks still being worked on. - we know this isn’t true to the final tracklist, as Recess and Show & Tell weren’t done by this time.

Some claim Show & Tell was an After School concept originally, but I don’t think that’s true.

*2  May 2017 - Melanie states that she’s “finishing up bonus tracks”.

*3  and in August 2017, in an interview, is summed up to saying: “standard tracklist is being mastered and that she’s finishing up the bonus tracks now”.

Erase Her, Notebook, and Trophy were all recorded in June 2017, making them bonus tracks to K-12 originally, by Melanie’s own word.

* She did say this in 2020 on Instagram: “I’ve been working on the After School EP since 2017."

However, I interpret this to mean when Notebook was recorded. - I doubt she had the direct concept of After School when the June 2017 sessions were being recorded, especially when she refers to the deluxe for K-12 as “bonus tracks” in August 2017.

1: lost the source, but is factual.

2:https://melanie-martinez.fandom.com/wiki/K-12_(album)

3:https://www.billboard.com/music/pop/melanie-martinez-interview-cry-baby-second-album-7904990/

2 hours ago, WildChild said:

* She did say this in 2020 on Instagram: “I’ve been working on the After School EP since 2017."

However, I interpret this to mean when Notebook was recorded. - I doubt she had the direct concept of After School when the June 2017 sessions were being recorded, especially when she refers to the deluxe for K-12 as “bonus tracks” in August 2017.

She already explained this whole thing in her 2020 Billboard interview 

I started writing After School in 2017 with the intention of it being connected to K-12 as a little bonus thing, but I kept writing and so the 3 songs I intended on releasing ended up turning into a 7-song EP.

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕 

1 hour ago, Coloringbooks said:

I started writing After School in 2017 with the intention of it being connected to K-12 as a little bonus thing, but I kept writing and so the 3 songs I intended on releasing ended up turning into a 7-song EP.

oh wow, that's very interesting. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Coloringbooks said:

I truly respect her wish for privacy, but I also really wish we'd get more looks into her creative process every now and then to make up for how little anyone sees or hears from her. 

Like, we don't need to know what she buys at the grocery store, who designs her underwear, or where she bought her latest keychain.. We just want to get a closer look at what it looks like when she's in her creative space. For someone who wants her fans to be so connected to her, she allows surprisingly few opportunities for that these days. But I guess that's the double edged sword of her career- she wants connection, but not the attention and expectations that it comes with.