SissyReed

Pop Culture in Lana's Songs

OMG THANK YOU! I know what Indian reservations are but idk if that's a "pop culture thing" lol :) and Valium is a drug so i didn't add it, but i totally had no idea that Rikers Island is a prison & THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ADDING SO MANY INFO TO THAT LIST :*

Yeah haha no problem, I'll be adding more things I find throughout time. So glad you made this thread, its very interesting!

Yeah haha no problem, I'll be adding more things I find throughout time. So glad you made this thread, its very interesting!

no problem! i'm very happy so many people started to share their info, i think it's very important to know these things to better understand Lana's songs, especially when you're not from the USA (like me) :)

nsaalk.jpg

I don't know if this would be considered as pop culture but in driving in cars with boys one of the lyrics are 'I'm miss America, now I'm gone, baby, gone' referencing the miss America competitions. I don't know if this is relevant though but I thought I would mention it just in case.

s-be18bcd9e81764b8ffe6979bdf3994c544ee54

Sad Girl: "He's got the fire and he walks with it" is probably a reference to Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.

And the "talking 'bout my generation" line in Brooklyn Baby is a reference to the song 'My Generation' by The Who.

Oh and she also mentions the summer of love in Summer Of Sam

and Summer of Love in girl that got away.

also you are Brolin hot - in Hot Hot Hot a reference to Josh Brolin

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

Gods and Monsters - Friedrich Nietzsche ("God's dead")

Cola - The Beatles ("...in the sky with diamonds")

Carmen - Carmen by Prosper Mérimée and an opera of the same title by Georges Bizet (plus a movie starring Beyoncé  :beyonce: )

Edit: I forgot to add to Carmen - A Streetcar Named Desire (1951 American drama film and 1947 play) ("That's the little story of the girl you know, relying on the kindness of strangers")

32c003478b7ec35a4b8ae368a22ebabc5be17593

I don't know if this would be considered as pop culture but in driving in cars with boys one of the lyrics are 'I'm miss America, now I'm gone, baby, gone' referencing the miss America competitions. I don't know if this is relevant though but I thought I would mention it just in case.

I think that is a stretch to be honest, however that song should be listed because of the movie titled Riding In Cars With Boys

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

Bonnie & Clyde in Live or Die!

it's already there :) <3

Gods and Monsters - Friedrich Nietzsche ("God's dead")

Cola - The Beatles ("...in the sky with diamonds")

Carmen - Carmen by Prosper Mérimée and an opera of the same title by Georges Bizet (plus a movie starring Beyoncé  :beyonce: )

Edit: I forgot to add to Carmen - A Streetcar Named Desire (1951 American drama film and 1947 play) ("That's the little story of the girl you know, relying on the kindness of strangers")

as The Beatles fan, and Nietzsche's fan and... "A Streetcar Named Desire" fan I feel ashamed, thank you, tho :*

and Summer of Love in girl that got away.

also you are Brolin hot - in Hot Hot Hot a reference to Josh Brolin

about Brolin... I've added him but there are different lyrics to that on different sites... same thing with "Go Go Dancer" - there are lyrics versions with "Tupac's sweetheart" and "Jukebox's sweetheart"  idk which one is right tbh...

nsaalk.jpg

it's already there :) <3

as The Beatles fan, and Nietzsche's fan and... "A Streetcar Named Desire" fan I feel ashamed, thank you, tho :*

about Brolin... I've added him but there are different lyrics to that on different sites... same thing with "Go Go Dancer" - there are lyrics versions with "Tupac's sweetheart" and "Jukebox's sweetheart"  idk which one is right tbh...

Haha you're welcome! Here are more:

"Dancing in The Dark" and "I'm on Fire" are Bruce Springsteen songs.

Summertime Sadness - "Dancing in The Dark in the pale moonlight" and "Baby, I'm on Fire"

Sad Girl - "I'm on Fire, baby"

Body Electric - "I'm on Fire"

Lolita references:

Noir - "I'm his little Dolly"

Girl That Got Away - "Dreaming 'bout your Dolly, sweet Dolly dream dream"

"Dolly" is the nickname for Dolores, Lolita's real name.

Oh, and you forgot to add Biggie Smalls in Teenage Wasteland ("You play me Biggie Smalls") :)

Haha you're welcome! Here are more:

"Dancing in The Dark" and "I'm on Fire" are Bruce Springsteen songs.

Summertime Sadness - "Dancing in The Dark in the pale moonlight" and "Baby, I'm on Fire"

Sad Girl - "I'm on Fire, baby"

Body Electric - "I'm on Fire"

Lolita references:

Noir - "I'm his little Dolly"

Girl That Got Away - "Dreaming 'bout your Dolly, sweet Dolly dream dream"

"Dolly" is the nickname for Dolores, Lolita's real name.

Oh, and you forgot to add Biggie Smalls in Teenage Wasteland ("You play me Biggie Smalls") :)

OMG YOU MAKE ME TOTALLY BLUSH YOU TELL ME THING I FORGOT ABOUT! i love you

but isn't "I'm on Fire" just a regular sentence that also happens to be Bruce's song? :)

also - "dancing in the dark in the pale moonlight" - i always think about that Joker's quote "have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" IDK what are your thoughts? :)

I'll add Dolly and Biggie references later!

nsaalk.jpg

OMG YOU MAKE ME TOTALLY BLUSH YOU TELL ME THING I FORGOT ABOUT! i love you

but isn't "I'm on Fire" just a regular sentence that also happens to be Bruce's song? :)

also - "dancing in the dark in the pale moonlight" - i always think about that Joker's quote "have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" IDK what are your thoughts? :)

I'll add Dolly and Biggie references later!

I saw once that her favorite Bruce Springsteen's song was "I'm on Fire" so I thought it could be a reference because she likes to do this in her songs. And about the "Dancing in The Dark", was because I searched for some Bruce Springsteen songs once and I found "Dancing in The Dark. Then I heard Summertime Sadness and realized the "Dancing in The Dark" lyric there, which made me think: "Could it be? :um2: ". But I really don't know, I just thought that could be a possibility since she likes to do these little references in her songs. :lel: I also didn't know about this Joker reference. But I think it would be much nicer if this quote was the real thing behind the "Dancing in The Dark" lyric because I really liked it!  :flutter: 

I saw once that her favorite Bruce Springsteen's song was "I'm on Fire" so I thought it could be a reference because she likes to do this in her songs. And about the "Dancing in The Dark", was because I searched for some Bruce Springsteen songs once and I found "Dancing in The Dark. Then I heard Summertime Sadness and realized the "Dancing in The Dark" lyric there, which made me think: "Could it be? :um2: ". But I really don't know, I just thought that could be a possibility since she likes to do these little references in her songs. :lel: I also didn't know about this Joker reference. But I think it would be much nicer if this quote was the real thing behind the "Dancing in The Dark" lyric because I really liked it!  :flutter:

okay, I'll add "I'm on Fire" references and "Dancing in the Dark" - both Joker's and Springsteen's :) because sometimes artists reference to something without even knowing it lol :D

nsaalk.jpg