Mileena

Paradise - Pre-Release Thread

Guest Maru the Cat

I think it's very disrespectful to Lana that you'd say she doesn't care about her music or the artistic value in it just because it didn't appeal to you. Maybe she is changing as a person, so she wrote in a different style or just wanted to experiment with sounds more on this rerelease? I don't know really, but it just makes me very sad to see you say she doesn't care because you don't like it. Personally, I think if she didn't care then she wouldn't have bothered making this EP, or having the Ride video be 10 minutes long. Idk, that actually really upset me so I'm just going to stop now.

I agree with this. From what we know of Lana, she is headstrong, a perfectionist/control-freak when it comes to art, and prioritizes her art and her intuition over the "business aspect", what's thought to be acceptable/"sell well", etc. And we've heard from multiple people, "You just can't tell her what to do", as well as from Lana that her label was giving her free reign to do whatever she wanted, and she was so appreciative for it.

Do I like the lyrics? Nope, not one bit. Do I think that Lana believes that she is still delivering quality content and that she wanted to release this? Yes.

Listen to all the snippets and tell me if you still think she cares about her music. I feel like she just put out this EP since Interscope told her to and not because she wanted to. Yes, the Ride video is beautiful, but this EP shows nothing of her. "Angel wanting to get fucked hard" "Honey put on that party dress like whoo oooooh" "My pussy tastes like pepsi cola" (It was hilarious when the snippets first dropped but now I didn't know it'd foreshadow the style of the entire album) - etc. etc. I don't think she doesn't care because I don't like it, there's Lana songs I don't like (Prom Song, Gangsta Boy, etc.) , but I still can tell she put effort into it. But this album seems exactly how Lana phrased it but even worse "an afterthought" - it just seems like a trash bin of all the scratched lyrics she's done throughout her career. I'm 80% sure my opinion won't change when the album drops in full. Also the snippets are 1:30s in total as of today. That's pretty much half or a little less of every song, it's still a fair indicator of how each song will sound.

She has plenty of already-written material she could have used for this release instead, but she wrote new songs which shows that she does care. I highly doubt she sat down and thought to herself "I don't really want to do this album so I'm not gonna try very hard with writing these songs." The fact that she has gotten plastic surgery, admits to hating performing and being very nervous about it, and plenty of other things she's done proves that she cares what other people think of her and that's she's very self-critical, so I really don't think she'd let these specific songs be released if she didn't care or try very hard. I think you have a horrible attitude in this case, you're coming off to me like this: "Oh, Lana didn't impress me with this album, so that means she obviously doesn't care about the artistic value of her work anymore, because she absolutely does everything in her career with me in mind." I don't mean to be rude but that's how you're coming across and it really upset me. I know a handful of hopeful-musicians and I know how much they put into their writing and their music, so I just find it extremely disrespectful that you'd go as far as saying she doesn't care anymore just because you don't like what you've heard of the new album.

14417469274.gif

Guest Maru the Cat

She has plenty of already-written material she could have used for this release instead, but she wrote new songs which shows that she does care. I highly doubt she sat down and thought to herself "I don't really want to do this album so I'm not gonna try very hard with writing these songs." The fact that she has gotten plastic surgery, admits to hating performing and being very nervous about it, and plenty of other things she's done proves that she cares what other people think of her and that's she's very self-critical, so I really don't think she'd let these specific songs be released if she didn't care or try very hard. I think you have a horrible attitude in this case, you're coming off to me like this: "Oh, Lana didn't impress me with this album so that means she obviously doesn't care about the artistic value of her work anymore, because she absolutely does everything in her career with me in mind." I don't mean to be rude but that's how you're coming across and it really upset me. I know a handful of hopeful-musicians and I know how much they put into their writing and their music, so I just find it extremely disrespectful that you'd go as far as saying she doesn't care anymore just because you don't like what you've heard of the new album.

Why do you always say everything I intended to but didn't know how to phrase and you do it so well and gahhhhh I am failing at grammar and life right now :3

Whatever, it's clear you guys don't agree with me. I didn't say what I said solely because I don't like the album, but I said it because I adore Lana and this was just something I couldn't bear to listen to. Even the Lana songs I don't like I still listen to. But this is different.

Guest Maru the Cat

@HDB I even stated clearly in my post I don't think she doesn't care because I don't like the album. There are songs of hers I haven't liked in the past, but I still acknowledge the effort and lyrics, etc.

Who's to say that you are a good judge of the effort and lyrics put into a song? What truly separates the effort put into this EP and LDRakaLG? The criteria you established to determine this is arbitrary -- you created it -- which proves HDB's point.

We should keep in mind though we have like twenty seconds of each song....or horrible quality extended snippets. You guys are acting like it's been out for a year. If that would have been done for "Born To Die" you probably would have been saying the same thing. You just cannot physically judge a song from twenty seconds of it. The song and twenty seconds of the song are like two completely different things. And listening to it in high quality and in full? Just waaaaait!

sort of ~

Whatever, it's clear you guys don't agree with me. I didn't say what I said solely because I don't like the album, but I said it because I adore Lana and this was just something I couldn't bear to listen to. Even the Lana songs I don't like I still listen to. But this is different.

I'm fine with you not liking it, I couldn't care less tbh because your opinion has nothing to do with mine. You don't have to get upset that you're being disagreed with. I just think it's disrespectful that you'd say she doesn't care because her new music doesn't appeal to your opinion of what is and isn't effort. Ultimately, Lana has to be proud of her work regardless what we think and her releasing it proves that she is happy with it. It seems to me that Paradise is the trashy/skanky side of BTD and I'm fucking fine with that! Lana has shown us many different sides throughout her musical career and this is just another one of them really.

Edit: Mattiern messaged me concerning the posts here and I just want to make it clear to everyone that you should not attack/bother/slander a member because they feel a certain way. Also, Mattiern, please don't edit out any of your other posts. It disrupts the flow of conversation here and will confuse other members coming in later. If someone bothers you because of what you said here, block them and let a Mod know. Thanks guys.

14417469274.gif

I absolutely love Bel Air and Yayo. So haunting.Gods and Monsters is slowly itching on me. I was not a fan of the live version of Body Electric but when the snippets came out, I approve. But to be really honest..I will end up loving all the songs.

I admit my thinking was off. I don't like the album, but if Lana wants this released. Then that's what she wants I guess.

To be a little more positive:

Anyone else adore that scream in the background of Gods & Monsters extended snippet? It sounded like a curling screech of a dying person and it sent chills down me.

Anyone else adore that scream in the background of Gods & Monsters extended snippet? It sounded like a curling screech of a dying person and it sent chills down me.

That was actually REALLY awesome. It wasn't too distracting either; it fit in perfectly. And that was from a really fuzzy sounding standpoint, but it still was awesome. I can't wait to hear that song in high quality.

sort of ~

Guest Maru the Cat

YOU READ MY MIND

I wonder if the random screaming chick will make an account here just like Auto-Tune Loon....

Honestly, it was like a scene from a horror movie. It was just so nicely put in there. Not too out of place either. I think Gods & Monsters has strong points in different spots (and who knows what other spots once it's released in full) - but after the intro the production seems too loud. I wish it was quieter so I could hear Lana.

The only negative thing I really have to say now is that I was a little disappointed with how excited I got by the short snippet of Yayo in the trailer that was uploaded on her youtube. It was flawless, haunting, just :defeated:

then I heard the 1.30 snippet and was a little let down - Really hoping my feels change when I hear the whole thing.

Doesn't dampen how excited I am for this :smiles:

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_1h0d6zmin8g0