RetroSound

'Ride' - Music Video Released

+1, though not as hawt as her ~father. :flutter: He should have made a cameo.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, sis.

aw that's not true. some of the ugliest people have the most beautiful souls and vice versa

'Not knowing' is just one example. She could have a degree in their culture, still wear that headdress, and i wouldnt call her offensive. Because I'm not that sort of a person. I don't believe in pussyfooting around cultures or any 'sensitive' topics, nor being 'pc'. I believe the moment people make a big deal and point and shout 'offensive!' at these things are what gives them their power, and the moment we can all think so lightly of our differences that we can even make fun of them is the moment we realise how trivial and meaningless they are and we can all get along.

I'm not saying that's what Lana is doing, i can't speak for her, but that's what I think of accusations such as these. Unless she's said, point blankly something along the lines of 'Native Americans are crap', i don't consider her being cruel or culturally insensitive.

She has a thing for older guys, i dunno about 'greasy' :P

As for what you say, being with someone just as beautiful', this never seems to be the case :/ I feel beautiful women should be going for the hotties for those of us that can't :P, yet they always settle for a little less. Though eyes of the beholder and all that...

ah, true true. everybody has their own tastes. but bikers are grease balls especially ones that travel around a lot. i've been around a bunch of them my whole life that's why i said greasy haha. but i just know if i was lucky enough to even be half as beautiful as lana i would use it to my advantage and get guys like ryan gosling or something! i guess that's just the many differences between me and lana!

:shy:

BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL.

The monologue reminded me so much of a visual form of "Carmen" - it was so goddamn beautiful I broke out in tears while cleaning my dog's poop. This music video is a masterpiece IMO. National Anthem can't hold a candle to this in my opinion, Lana was so raw and so stunning in this video - I felt like I was watching a real film, a cinematic adventure - this music video deserves all the praise it can get. I saw flashes of Lolita when Lana was getting her hair brushed, and in the white dress at the motel, it just seemed like she had so many Humbert Humberts in her life.

God bless Lana Del Rey

*bends down and prays to the Lord Del Rey*

Guest Maru the Cat

'Not knowing' is just one example. She could have a degree in their culture, still wear that headdress, and i wouldnt call her offensive.

I don't think a white person wearing a headdress is inherently insensitive. I think it's the context in which it is being done, and here, I thought it was appalling.

I'm not saying that's what Lana is doing, i can't speak for her, but that's what I think of accusations such as these. Unless she's said, point blankly something along the lines of 'Native Americans are crap', i don't consider her being cruel or culturally insensitive.

Really? You don't look at a person's actions? Someone tells you, "I didn't eat your cake" and they have icing all over their face and is seated in front of the empty plate your cake was once on, you're going to believe them? Okay.

Again, I don't think this was an intentional move on Lana's part, nor do I think she's bigoted. I'd like to stress this.

I don't believe in pussyfooting around cultures or any 'sensitive' topics, nor being 'pc'. I believe the moment people make a big deal and point and shout 'offensive!' at these things are what gives them their power, and the moment we can all think so lightly of our differences that we can even make fun of them is the moment we realise how trivial and meaningless they are and we can all get along.

Interesting point, but frankly, this simply isn't plausible. A white woman wearing a headdress, brandishing a gun and acting drunk is symbolic of a much larger problem here. When you dismiss the image Lana portrayed in the music video as simply something to make fun of/trivial/meaningless, you're inadvertently dismissing the atrocities committed against the aboriginal people [read the quoted information below]. This is on-going. This is a vicious cycle that still plagues aboriginals today. This isn't as "simple" as "LOL, I stole ur land!"

The negative stereotyping, that began so long ago is still prevalent today and serves as an effective vehicle for discrimination and prejudice that inevitably leads to exploitation.

Although the government and people of the United States express outrage at oppression and abuse of indigenous people in other countries, Native Americans continue to be a dispossessed and disenfranchised minority in their own land.

Third-world living conditions are typical of most reservation communities. Poor health care, miserable poverty and substandard education are a daily fact of life for most American Indians. The top 5 causes of death among native people are alcohol related, and more native teens commit suicide than any other racial group. Native Americans also have a higher infant mortality rate.

Lenape Programs

But apparently Native Americans are supposed to laugh this off!!! "LOL, these are just silly ~differences~ that happened a long ago!!! This is meaningless!! LOL don't even think about cycle of alcoholism and poverty that was put into motion by us white people and still plagues Native Americans today!!! Oh, ur father is an alcoholic and ur mom committed suicide and you live in poverty? LOL, laugh it off!! We stole ur land a long time ago, we're not responsible for that!! Let's just can chalk it up to ~differences~ and laugh and say this is trivial and continue making fun of the culture we tried to wipe out. LOLLLLL."

I, too, have a war in my mind. I don’t know how i feel about the video. I feel a little numb, but these feelings, or lack thereof, have little to do with the actual video and Lana as an artist and what she’s created, and more to do with how i feel about life in general lately (i think watching Samsara last night really fucked me up even more than i have already been feeling). I think i like the Ride video? But i should watch it more at a later time when i'm not feeling this way.

What i do have concrete thoughts on: Watching this, i realize how American i am and how inescapable it is. I really love things that are truly American. All of the imagery throughout the video is great--so classic, so iconic, so familiar but so vibrant and fresh. You know, if there was ever going to be something that hipsters latched onto and made them finally come around to Lana, it’s this video, as repugnant as that thought may be. I love the actors that were chosen and the authenticity they bring to the video. News flash for some of you: those guys are probably a lot more desirable to some women than you care to think. Man, i would KILL to be unit photographer on this set! The cinematography is great (though, in my opinion, still doesn’t top the BJ cinematography). The whole thing could have been a little rawer, but, still, this feels like real, early ’70s first wave of American independent cinema. My only problem in this regard is how fast the editing is--i HATE what has become the standard pacing of editing.

Re: the headdress: I cringed very hard during those shots. Not sure what she’s aiming for there. Why is that there? However, she wouldn’t be Lana Del Rey if there wasn’t something problematic about her, and i like that about her. It's interesting to see the image of a gun being held up to a Native headdress, that's for sure. What’s funny is that for some people (those who just don’t “get it”), it takes blatant mocking of a culture or explicitly stated disdain to consider something offensive/insensitive/careless toward a culture, and these scenes, it seems, would actually fit their narrow view of insensitivity, because they actually do seem to be mocking of Native cultures (acting “crazy” in the desert with alcohol and guns!) However, on the other hand, from my subjective standpoint, i myself as the viewer am also able to take away a completely different interpretation of whatever Native metaphor may be embedded in there, and that is freedom. Which is what the whole video is about, right? Now, that’s obviously not a very common association to draw from Native Americans, but think about pre-Colonial America--is that not absolutely representative of freedom if there ever was such a thing? (i.e. a more fundamental freedom rather than a bogus, empty concept of freedom, i.e. McFreedom). Still, though, this feels fucking uncomfortable. Surprise, surprise, it's Lana Del Rey.

Oh, one last thing: i don’t understand why the audio quality in all her videos is so poor. This seriously sounds like it’s 240p. I really hate the internet, it is the great destroyer of everything. Can you imagine after all the time, effort, energy, money, talent, and skill that went into the engineering and production of the song, and the production of the video, that this compressed-to-death video on youtube is what comes out? Oy. Hopeless times for art.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

Well i'm pretty confused as to all this drama. Can someone explain what the whole issue over her wearing that headdress is?

I'll play the ignorance card and say I know nothing of Native Americans nor have I studied anything slightly related to them before.

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_1h0d6zmin8g0

Well i'm pretty confused as to all this drama. Can someone explain what the whole issue over her wearing that headdress is?

I'll play the ignorance card and say I know nothing of Native Americans nor have I studied anything slightly related to them before.

This, yea. European me tries to grasp the controversy of the headdress, but kind of fails :aw:

tumblr_n746y8etXI1qa35sao1_500.gif

Controversy :legend:

Aw, you guys don't like the ugly guys? It kinda gives me a giggle. I like that she just fucking went for it.

yessssss I love that she just fucking went for it in that department! :creepy:

takin leaps and takin risks

sharing more

I like it

keep it comin grl

I shouldn't be laughing at this last page as hard as I am :lmao:

Okay--I love the bouncy curls towards the end where she's screaming at the guy, you know the "I am fucking crazy" part. She's just damn beautiful.

Guest Maru the Cat

When I watch this video, I remember the exact reason I became a Lana fan. ;'))!!!

FIFY