SlowGinFizzzz

The Legend of Zelda

SS gets lots of criticism for a weak story, bad controls (as in motion controls), Fi's constant interruption about the batteries and the info boxes popping up every time you pick up a new rupee after starting up the game again.(Some say Link looks ugly too lol, I just find him adorable) I get that. But I didn't find those things bad enough to not enjoy the game, and I personally loved the story about how everything started.

holy shit I forgot about that!!! But some memory is stirring inside me of being infuriated at that. The perils of not being able to patch after release huh? I also don't find Link terrible to look at - Zelda looks like a dork but that's fine, and Impa's design is awesome. I remember there being criticism on how linear the story was but I must be remembering wrong or only partially, because I quite liked the arc . . .

I read that BotW had a patch early on that enabled you to change the voice files for dialogue into a different language if you hated the original seeing as Zelda sounds like she is early 30s when she's actually 17. I changed to French so I'd vaguely understand some words but not entirely so it would still feel a little alien to me. But if I had to go through the game with the OG voice files I would've really shrivelled up my ears.

Kk I'm gonna go join Zelda Dungeon, apparently I've been suppressing this Zelda love for a long time and need to go nerd out properly. 

Is this my new profile picture . . .

tumblr_o31zf4pNq61ufd98oo4_500.gif

3lfQEhw.png

@@takeitdoen Nooo, join Zelda Universe instead! I’m there and I write columns for them! :hooker:

Yeah, I changed the voices to Japanese because I couldn’t stand Princess Zelda’s fake British voice (why not hire a voice actor from England instead?) and her weak sobbing when she finally breaks down. Everyone she knows is dead, apart from Link. Gimme some real crying coming from the heart instead!

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

The only problem I had with skyward sword was the fact that we have to fight the same boss like 4 times, and Fi making the game too easy. Way too many opportunities for puzzle solving/investigative work is ruined by her just telling it to you. Other than that, the graphics, the music, the story, the characters were amazing 

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

Can we talk about how everybody talked shit about the Wii U, but somehow it's the ultimate Zelda machine? Like, thanks to remakes, virtual console, and backwards compatibility, you can literally play every single mainline Zelda game except A Link Between Worlds on it? Plus Hyrule Warriors? Like wow, that's talent. Not everybody has that, especially the Switch has a lot of catching up to do in this regard. In conclusion, me and my Wind Waker Edition Wii U remain unbothered. Thank you.

WIIU-Nintendo-Wii-U-32GB-Zelda-Wind-Wake

Also, not sure if that's an unpopular opinion, but as great as Breath of the Wild may be... I miss the dual-screen gameplay. Like, a lot. The way you had the map and your items on the bottom screen in Ocarina of Time 3D, The Wind Waker HD, A Link Between Worlds, Majora's Mask 3D, and Twilight Princess HD... *chef's kiss* Sooo convenient! Especially since its quite easy to get lost (for me, anyway) to get lost in the huge world of Breath of the Wild, so always having a proper map available would be very useful.

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

lol I literally considered buying a WiiU one JUST so I could play more Zelda. I think a Windwaker and TP port over to Switch is extremely unlikely as they have just been available on so many platforms already - everyone who wants to play it surely has a way to? But I have a 3DS, Wii and a Switch so maybe enough is enough . . . lol.

I'm with you on a better map but overall I am torn on the items being absent . . . I thought it was audacious to cut off so many established conventions and I respect that. I liked getting all the tools at the start and then, in theory, you have everything you need straight away. And CONTROVERSIALLY I actually thought the beast 'dungeons' were great. And actually fun, since they were very brief and creative, coming straight back to Oracle of Season+Ages running for hours trying to pick up on one key I missed . . . I would rather not. Shrines I'm not sure on, I didn't have an issue but I would've liked some variation in the music. And also I got a bit of anxiety as my favourite weapons constantly break. I would've liked an option to pay to have them repaired, since it would've given more emphasis to rupees, which always end up being a false economy since you get loaded so quick. 

Someone give me this deviant in HETCH DEEEE 

HeartyLoathsomeAmethystinepython-size_re

Nooo, join Zelda Universe instead! I’m there and I write columns for them!  :hooker:

Yeah, I changed the voices to Japanese because I couldn’t stand Princess Zelda’s fake British voice (why not hire a voice actor from England instead?) and her weak sobbing when she finally breaks down. Everyone she knows is dead, apart from Link. Gimme some real crying coming from the heart instead!

Oops, I literally meant Zelda Universe. k I'm making a profile right now. 

I didn't care about her fake British voice but her casting was truly bizarre how old they made her sound, and yes how unmoved she sounded in those tears. I thought the voice acting on other characters were pretty good though.

3lfQEhw.png

I just finished playing Link's Awakening and I REALLY enjoyed it - more than I thought I would. It's probably because I've played them so much lately but the game didn't feel obscurely difficult like I found some other titles that were on handheld (Oracle series).

I hadn't played the original on Gameboy. This has got to be one of my favourites and is easily ranking as one of the chillest Zelda games I've played. I'm finding it charming, the music is great, and the gameplay is super fun. I actually didn't expect to like it as much as I did - I would be totally interested in see other remakes for things like Minish Cap or the Oracle games.

Unfortunately I didn't get the 'secret' 'ending' because I died literally in the first dungeon because I couldn't be bothered walking through the dungeon again or something. It was pretty easy staying alive however, but I didn't exactly rate Marin as a character . . . lol.

I loved the bosses actually actively speaking and trying to not wake up. Maybe the first fascinating dilemma I've found in the series - an actual necessary evil in you wake up the Wind Fish to escape the island, thus destroying it. It was a weird feeling to watch all these cute characters suddenly disappear and cease to be real, but they only exist if you don't wake up the Wind Fish I didn't like it when I heard Termina has been regulated to the same treatment as this, but I thought this is more of a solo adventure than Majora where the characters had schedules and lives.

Also I loved the opening and ending cinematics . . . when are we going to get a Zelda anime . . .

3lfQEhw.png

@@Clampigirl Barely. Basically

Marin's face pops up on screen and a seagull flies away - it's supposed to symbolise that she transformed into the bird, is real, and escapes the Wind Fish's dream

It's a reaaaaaally easy game so dying is a little lol worthy, but also I just did NOT care about Marin that much as a character - plus if it didn't happen, it didn't happen. I hate that convention "It was all a D R E A M" but that does apply to Link's Awakening. 

As a side note, I hate the retconning that Termina is not real, which was written into canon in 2018 in the Hyrule Encyclopedia. UGHHHHH. I hope it was simply a translation oversight. 

3lfQEhw.png

The encyclopedia has several errors I think, so some people even doubt that the timeline is correct. So who knows, maybe Termina does exist!

And Marin was so cute, what do you mean? :poordat:

It's like a Schrodinger's Cat - Termina exists as long as we know it's there but isn't revisited. I like the idea that it is a parallel universe so it doesn't exist while not being occupied, but to say all the interactions Link had there plus the lives that were transformed and saved didn't happen is really obnoxious on their part. 

I have no impression on Marin. I spoke to her at the start, to get the ocarina song, and then to wake up the Walrus.

Also - if you know, you know.

3lfQEhw.png

Love how we were discussing a potential Skyward Sword remake just on the previous page lol. Always ahead of our time! 

As I said before, I'm not sure how exactly they would be able to remove the Wii Motion Plus functionality without changing the nature of the game too much, since the whole game was pretty much built around these kind of controls. Obviously it would work with the regular Switch and Joy-Cons, but I can't imagine Nintendo being okay with a system seller like Zelda being unplayable on the Switch Lite. 

Generally speaking, I'd love a "second chance" for Skyward Sword, it's a brilliant game and gets way too much criticism, plus experiencing it in HD would definitely be a reason for me to buy it again too. But for the reasons mentioned above, I somewhat expected the Wii U remakes of The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess to be ported first – in fact, now that they're porting Pikmin 3 to the Switch, I think the Zelda remakes and Super Mario 3D World are pretty much the only major Wii U exclusives left. :( And I'm sure that at least 3D World will inevitability get a port. 

And also, I'm a bit worried about the lack of new first (and second) party games from Nintendo. Like, BotW 2 is announced, but still at least a year away; we haven't heard anything new about Bayonetta in like forever; Metroid seems to be even further away than BotW 2, at this point I'm expecting it to be released at the very end of the Switch's life circle (like Skyward Sword was the last major Wii game, and BotW the last Wii U and simultaneously first Switch game). They're heavily relying on ports and remakes right now (there's still some kind of Metroid Prime Trilogy and a 3D Mario collection (?) waiting to be officially announced, too), which obviously is great for people who haven't played them on the Wii U, but kinda sucks for those who did. It definitely feels like there's a bit of an imbalance between new games and remakes/ports right now. 

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

Haven’t they said they’ll make a Metroid game for several years now? Or was that Pikmin? Or is it both? But yeah, I hope they’ll come up with something sometime soon, I’d love to try a Metroid game. I tried it on Wii but the controls frustrated me too much so I never finished it.

Hopefully we’ll get BotW 2 next year for the 35th anniversary, and more ports too or exclusives to Switch online (I’m thinking of the old NES and SNES games, maybe they’ll add old Gameboy games too - wouldn’t that be something!)

And maybe the pandemic is holding things back. I believe they let most of their staff work from home, but I’m not sure.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

25 minutes ago, Clampigirl said:

Haven’t they said they’ll make a Metroid game for several years now? Or was that Pikmin? Or is it both? But yeah, I hope they’ll come up with something sometime soon, I’d love to try a Metroid game. I tried it on Wii but the controls frustrated me too much so I never finished it.

Hopefully we’ll get BotW 2 next year for the 35th anniversary, and more ports too or exclusives to Switch online (I’m thinking of the old NES and SNES games, maybe they’ll add old Gameboy games too - wouldn’t that be something!)

And maybe the pandemic is holding things back. I believe they let most of their staff work from home, but I’m not sure.

Both, actually. Miyamoto "accidentally" mentioned a new Pikmin game years ago, way before the Switch was even announced, but there hasn't been any kind of news in a really long time, so nobody really knows what's up with that one. It might have just been shelved.

As for Metroid Prime 4, it was originally announced in 2017, but last year they said that the game didn't meet Nintendo's standards and that development would start all over again, this time under Retro Studios. And just recently, they tweeted this, so that game isn't coming anytime soon. 

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

I would definitely purchase Skyward Sword for Switch because I'm a S U C K E R and I'm the exactly the kind of market that Nintendo wants - someone who can't be bothered holding onto older consoles so have not many options to play + a somewhat disposable income.

I would have my eyes rolling out of my head if I had to buy an add on to play it though. I think it's unlikely the motion control will be removed as Aonuma responded 'incredulously' when it was suggested they be watered down or removed (especially as the whole game was made around it) - but it's floating around that it would need some extra add on to achieve the same capability. Seriously, I fucking hope not - I bought the X-pac just to play Majora's mask, and the motion plus Wii mote just to play Skyward. Can't they just work with the technology they already have (I know the answer is 'no' but UGH).

The QOL updates for the minor shit we discussed would be worth it alone though. Ghirahim in 2021 too. What a snacc. 

tumblr_nhve31Xrxd1rf0hsxo3_500.gifv

3lfQEhw.png