ilovetati

NFR Metacritic/Review Thread

Damn, I would think a B it's at least an 8, more like an 8.5. I guess 7.5 is still a good score, but kinda low at the same time. 

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

Metacritic-eligible review from Variety 

https://variety.com/2019/music/reviews/album-review-lana-del-reys-norman-f-ing-rockwell-1203319612/

Metacritic editors will decide on a score from the tone of the review, which I'm reading as mild praise / mixed / ???   :crossed:  :crossed:

"Its 14 songs sprawl across 67 minutes; the tempos are languid; the third song, the epic “Venice Bitch,” is nearly 10 minutes long; and it concludes with three slow piano ballads that, if the album is taken as a whole, drag down its overall score

Del Rey always dominates, and like all of her work in this persona, this album is another variation on her theme. She continues to push her troubled, almost comically extreme femme fatale persona even further into outrage (the album’s first lyric is: “Goddamn, man-child/ You f—ed me so good that I almost said, ‘I love you’”) while continuing familiar themes (“Lying on your chest in my party dress/ I’m a f—ing mess”) and even throwing in some hip-hop-influenced wordplay (“Ice cream, ice queen/ I dream in jeans and leather/ Live stream, I’m sweet for you”)."

fullsizeoutput-3494.png

Metacritic-eligible review from Variety 

https://variety.com/2019/music/reviews/album-review-lana-del-reys-norman-f-ing-rockwell-1203319612/

Metacritic editors will decide on a score from the tone of the review, which I'm reading as mild praise / mixed / ???   :crossed:  :crossed:

Yeah, I'm thinking it's gonna be a 70-75 score. 65 if we're being pessimistic. Maybe an 80 if we're being optimistic. Let's just hope for the best

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

I'm finding it difficult to get any sense of the score of the Variety review: the writer has decided to go down the tired-as-hell path of talking about Lana as a concept, and mostly only describes the sound and quotes some lyrics? There doesn't seem to be an overarching opinion over whether it's a good album or a bad album - just that it's a Lana Del Rey album (which... duhhhh)  :biblio:

Looks like we're at the mercy of the intern at Metacritic who has to suffer through these things...

fullsizeoutput-3494.png

I'm finding it difficult to get any sense of the score of the Variety review: the writer has decided to go down the tired-as-hell path of talking about Lana as a concept, and mostly only describes the sound and quotes some lyrics? There doesn't seem to be an overarching opinion over whether it's a good album or a bad album - just that it's a Lana Del Rey album (which... duhhhh)  :biblio:

Looks like we're at the mercy of the intern at Metacritic who has to suffer through these things...

literally half of the review is about Tarantino  :facepalm:

literally half of the review is about Tarantino  :facepalm:

I can't even disagree vehemently with it like I did with the UK papers' reviews; the Variety review is just... so... vapid. It says so little about the actual artistic or musical merits (or otherwise) of the album or the critic's own thoughts (that don't just sound like some bizarre amateurish thesis about 'cult artists') that it's almost impossible to find anything in particular that's it's trying to say.

Genuinely one of the most useless album reviews I've read in a long time. 

fullsizeoutput-3494.png

ok but where's the most important review of them all

1217934-0-q80.jpg

i still haven't forgiven her for her lukewarm reaction to venice bitch aka an american staple

but excited for her to hear cinnamon! witch hat flew

TjRQ.gifLczfoG7.gifTjRQ.gif

i read the guardian article and i'm obviously biased as a fan but it really pissed me off at some parts. like i get it that her music is not for everyone's taste but i found that review very unprofessional. he could have given it a little more thought and move on from this 2012 mindset where hating on her and claiming that she's shallow is considered cool. that review really stayed on the surface, it sounds like he just put it on as background music and then scribbled down a few things that accidentally caught his attention, added his preconcepcions about her, and then bam! article finished.

I never meant to be bad or unwell I was just living on the edge right between heaven and hell & I'm tired of it 

i read the guardian article and i'm obviously biased as a fan but it really pissed me off at some parts. like i get it that her music is not for everyone's taste but i found that review very unprofessional. he could have given it a little more thought and move on from this 2012 mindset where hating on her and claiming that she's shallow is considered cool. that review really stayed on the surface, it sounds like he just put it on as background music and then scribbled down a few things that accidentally caught his attention, added his preconcepcions about her, and then bam! article finished.

Amen. I'm disappointed that he went for the most tired take possible: "oh, she's just a caricature singing constantly about these bad bad men!".

The fact he gave Ed Sheeran's act of terror a 4/5 the other week...  :toofloppy:  :toofloppy:  :toofloppy:

fullsizeoutput-3494.png