comeintomybedroom

M.I.A.

I was going to create a thread about her. The thing was I think she is so plural that the thread would take me forever to create. OMFG I have so much to talk and hear what others think about M.I.A  Not only the songs and visuals but everthing in between. My dad gave me her first album and said I would like it and said she was very interesting not only for her music. From that day on I have being a hard core fan. M.I.A to me is one of those few artists that doesn't matter if you like or not her work/music she is a necessary artist IMO.

She is the only artist that talks about really important issues and uses pop, visuals and rap to express her visions of the things wrong in the world we don't see (places like Sri Lanka where her parents were born and she lived during her childhood. Also certain parts of the middle east and the relations between media and governments interests.

Like in Bad Girls: do you know what they use to punish boys and womens in Sry Lanka and parts of the middle east? Chains. "The chains hits my chest when I am banging on the desk. My chain  hits my chest when I banging on the radio". Also notice she says specifically Cherokee Gasoline in Bad Girls. Guess why? The gasoline is the important part.

M.I.A is genius imo. She is quite big in Rio de Janeiro (São Paulo as well but in Rio she is very known) her beats are based a lot in Funk. The frenetic beat that comes from the slums in Rio. Funk is usually also very political or in his poor version sex explicit lyrics.

Her life story is very interesting as well. She was born in London moved as a baby with her parents back to Sri Lanka. Her father was one of the founders of a non violent student group against the government. She barelly saw her father when she was groing up in SRy Lanka. Since the police didn't leave her family alone her mom moved back to London with her and her siblings. She grow up in the a refugee area in London. Until today when the midia wants to descredit her they make assumptions she is a terrotist in discuise. The Sry Lanka government has called her out several times.

Born Free Is also genius. The fact she used gingers to illustrate the sitiuation was great. Was taken out of youtube and the air in several countries including USA

M.I.A doesn't give much interviews too thank god she is clearly not good at it. Looks usually high (I bet she is lol) and sometimes she makes you read between the lines

Edited by Antonia22

glgcDdT.gif

One of my  favorites of hers is World Town. Listen to the audio first and than listen to the music video. Totally different feelings towards the song. Maybe that's why she defines herself as a visual artist not a singer or rapper.

Bucky Done Gun is my favorite song

This was based on the funk rithym (she is firends with 2 of the most political and respected rappers/MC's here. This was number one here for a long time.  In Brazilian Funk the upside down mic is a sign of political protest. The political rappers and MC's used. The ones that make party music or sex explicit music do not use it.  sAlso all the meanings in the video are insane and why she mentions specifically London, New York, Kingston and Brazil because of the invasion in slums/guettos in 2008 in this cities.

glgcDdT.gif

Someone finally made a thread for her! I was also thinking about creating one :P

Pretty sure Matangi is going to be the album of the year

20r46kx.jpg

I like her a lot. Really admire her strong-mindedness and 'rebel with a cause' attitude. In terms of her music I only ever listened to Kala and a couple more songs though, still have to listen to her other 2 albums. Tbh I think I could very easily stan for her, and that's definitely saying something.

Oh, and I also think 'Bad Girls' is quite simply the best music video ever, bar none.

tumblr_lyuehwMxqi1qfip91o1_500.gif

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

Someone finally made a thread for her! I was also thinking about creating one :P

Pretty sure Matangi is going to be the album of the year

I know...ugh. Why Interscope keeps pushing it back is what I cant understand. I saw a article at the MTV Brazil blog saying they told her to tune down and she refused to do so. In the USA MTV blog says Interscope thought the album was "too positive" . M.I.A being M.I.A I think the brazilian article is closest to the truth. The album is hanging in some shelf at Interscope. :facepalm:  Got to the point she leaked Bring the Noize. I hope this album sees the light of the day this year and if not maybe she will post on her youtube chnanel like she did with BTN

The documentary is also getting pushed back for almost a year :(  The director or MIA I don't remember who, leaked the teaser on youtube so now not only Interscope is pissed but also Roc Nation. :facepalm: I wanna cry over this. What have she write/sang in the album  and showed in that documentary that is so important for people to NOT hear or NOT see.??

Anyway me loves the gold texture

glgcDdT.gif

I like her a lot. Really admire her strong-mindedness and 'rebel with a cause' attitude. In terms of her music I only ever listened to Kala and a couple more songs though, still have to listen to her other 2 albums. Tbh I think I could very easily stan for her, and that's definitely saying something.

Oh, and I also think 'Bad Girls' is quite simply the best music video ever, bar none.

tumblr_lyuehwMxqi1qfip91o1_500.gif

Yes! One stan at a time.

would you qualify her as a rebel? why? Interested in your always insightful thoughts!

glgcDdT.gif

Yes! One stan at a time.

would you qualify her as a rebel? why? Interested in your always insightful thoughts!

Mostly because of her controversial political opinions (I only know a little bit about that though since Sri Lankan politics really aren't my thing, but I know she's often been criticized by her own countrymen because of her political beliefs) and how she's not afraid to shock in order to spread her message / be politically incorrect / go against the opinion of the majority. She does it for something she truly believes in and fights for, and not simply as a marketing strategy to get easy publicity and pop star fame, and I really fucking respect that.

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

Mostly because of her controversial political opinions (I only know a little bit about that though since Sri Lankan politics really aren't my thing, but I know she's often been criticized by her own countrymen because of her political beliefs) and how she's not afraid to shock in order to spread her message / be politically incorrect / go against the opinion of the majority. She does it for something she truly believes in and fights for, and not simply as a marketing strategy to get easy publicity and pop star fame, and I really fucking respect that.

I get what you mean. I just dont think she is controversial.

glgcDdT.gif

I get what you mean. I just dont think she is controversial.

I only think she's controversial to the extent that she says and does things people don't want to hear or see. And despite the media's efforts to discredit her (in particular, there's an article in the NY Times that's downright revolting), the criticism and death threats she's received, she still doesn't shut up.