Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

I don't think she really hates Jack, but I'm not sure, I thought they split on good (but only slightly bitter) terms. I'm pretty sure the songs are more frustration than actual heartbreak, anger or writings about how terrible her relationship was if she ever wrote about him.

I think it's funny Ellie has this reputation of being a cheater and man stealer. She's always on a roll. I believe there's spammy clickbait websites full of ads with a slideshow of the top 50 most famous men Ellie Goulding has dated. Prince Harry, Ed Sheeran, Niall Horan, some art dealer, Burns, Skrillex, Calvin Harris... Lemme move to the Ellie Goulding thread, I think she has an album coming out soon with her new side husbands.:lmao:

1 minute ago, Sis said:

I don't think she really hates Jack, but I'm not sure, I thought they split on good (but only slightly bitter) terms. I'm pretty sure the songs are more frustration than actual heartbreak, anger or writings about how terrible her relationship was if she ever wrote about him.

I think it's funny Ellie has this reputation of being a cheater and man stealer. She's always on a roll. I believe there's spammy clickbait websites full of ads with a slideshow of the top 50 most famous men Ellie Goulding has dated. Prince Harry, Ed Sheeran, Niall Horan, some art dealer, Burns, Skrillex, Calvin Harris... Lemme move to the Ellie Goulding thread, I think she has an album coming out soon with her new side husbands.:lmao:

Ellie goldigger and Rita Oral were the names given when these stories were coming out 💀

7 minutes ago, Sis said:

I think it's funny Ellie has this reputation of being a cheater and man stealer. She's always on a roll. I believe there's spammy clickbait websites full of ads with a slideshow of the top 50 most famous men Ellie Goulding has dated. Prince Harry, Ed Sheeran, Niall Horan, some art dealer, Burns, Skrillex, Calvin Harris... 

STOP I REMEMBER SEEING THAT WEBSITE AND I WAS SCREAMING

what if the cockroaches have psychedelic pussy?

On 2/6/2023 at 5:56 AM, 132 said:

Also can we take a moment to compile all the songs that could be about Jack/could take inspiration from their relationship

Superstar

Cause I'm A Woman (possibly cause of some of the lyrics)

Believe in Love

Absent Love

Doubt Your Love

Water Under The Bridge

You

Too Afraid

Please Don't Call Me

What I Wanna Do (Final and Demo lyrics)

Worth It

Now, how many are positive?

Superstar. Like that's it. Maybe Believe in Love, despite it being a fear track, since it seems to discuss her self-doubt more than anything

The rest just kind of paint the relationship in a bad light...like

Okay I have a theory that Karma was originally written about Jack as well and Marina came up with the Me Too explanation afterwards. It was written in the same sessions as You (which is about him) and there are similarities in the lyrics (eg, underneath I see just what you are / I know you inside and out out out). Also this quote from Marina about the song: “Since [we wrote Karma], there’s really been an explosion of cases and experiences that followed the Harvey Weinstein situation. I didn’t really think about that in relation to the song for a while, but then when we were reproducing it, it felt so strange.

Honestly if you listen to Karma from the perspective of a bad relationship rather than the “systematic misogyny and sexual abuse employed by powerful figures in the media” (quote from album press release) it kinda makes sense. The lyrics are so vague and barely make any reference to those things. It sounds like she’s singing about a shitty boyfriend more than some powerful Hollywood abuser 

16 minutes ago, ConstableReggie said:

Okay I have a theory that Karma was originally written about Jack as well and Marina came up with the Me Too explanation afterwards. It was written in the same sessions as You (which is about him) and there are similarities in the lyrics (eg, underneath I see just what you are / I know you inside and out out out). Also this quote from Marina about the song: “Since [we wrote Karma], there’s really been an explosion of cases and experiences that followed the Harvey Weinstein situation. I didn’t really think about that in relation to the song for a while, but then when we were reproducing it, it felt so strange.

Honestly if you listen to Karma from the perspective of a bad relationship rather than the “systematic misogyny and sexual abuse employed by powerful figures in the media” (quote from album press release) it kinda makes sense. The lyrics are so vague and barely make any reference to those things. It sounds like she’s singing about a shitty boyfriend more than some powerful Hollywood abuser 

tbf. considering you and karma are both 2017 songs and talk about bad people, i can actually see why you'd think this. but then its kinda like what bad did he do? "all of the money in this town, it wont save you. won't save your reputation now, it won't save you".

10 hours ago, ConstableReggie said:

I agree I think marina has retconned the background of the song, (honestly she’s the queen of retcon, her saying she was doing a TFJ repackage then getting annoyed a few months later on her blog about ‘bullshit’ rumours about her doing a repackage are just :toofloppy: who’s fault is that girl!!) but I don’t think it’s about jack. I do think it’s just about someone they knew, why would she say “I know you inside and out” if it was actually about random high level people? I know that can be a general blanket statement but idk feels like it was maybe about a friend or maybe someone at Atlantic they knew or something

also I think ‘you’ must have been such an awkward writing session for poor joe janiak, stuck in the middle of marina and jack:rip: unless jack literally didn’t get the message, maybe all these songs were for him to try and get a message cause she doesn’t seem to like confrontation unless it’s on twitter. in her track by track she says ‘you’ is about someone that was a bit of a shit but redeemed themselves, but where is the redemption miss marina, he couldn’t even buy you flowers! considering they’re both millionaires and he could have rung any florist to get them sent to his OWN HOUSE is so… but we do only know one side of the story

52 minutes ago, AllForYou said:

I agree I think marina has retconned the background of the song, (honestly she’s the queen of retcon, her saying she was doing a TFJ repackage then getting annoyed a few months later on her blog about ‘bullshit’ rumours about her doing a repackage are just :toofloppy: who’s fault is that girl!!) but I don’t think it’s about jack. I do think it’s just about someone they knew, why would she say “I know you inside and out” if it was actually about random high level people? I know that can be a general blanket statement but idk feels like it was maybe about a friend or maybe someone at Atlantic they knew or something

also I think ‘you’ must have been such an awkward writing session for poor joe janiak, stuck in the middle of marina and jack:rip: unless jack literally didn’t get the message, maybe all these songs were for him to try and get a message cause she doesn’t seem to like confrontation unless it’s on twitter. in her track by track she says ‘you’ is about someone that was a bit of a shit but redeemed themselves, but where is the redemption miss marina, he couldn’t even buy you flowers! considering they’re both millionaires and he could have rung any florist to get them sent to his OWN HOUSE is so… but we do only know one side of the story

i know like the general area surrounding where she lived (not like her actual house, just marylebone) and there are definitely enough florists, most of which do delivery for a reasonable price...honestly 

6 hours ago, 132 said:

i know like the general area surrounding where she lived (not like her actual house, just marylebone) and there are definitely enough florists, most of which do delivery for a reasonable price...honestly 

clown behaviour from jack, he could have easily asked jess what marina’s favourite flower was, or even just simply looked at her instagram:toofloppy:

I was hoping that random youtube video of her flower arranging wasn’t a one off but it seems like it, I can’t see marina as a vlogger/youtuber but she’s skilled at art and I’d love if she did a sketchbook flip through or shared her art more often

my flop theory for L+F was her doing all the artwork herself, she used the oranges she drew on shirts at least, I didn’t buy one but if the design was on a tote bag I would have bought that

1 minute ago, AllForYou said:

my flop theory for L+F was her doing all the artwork herself, she used the oranges she drew on shirts at least, I didn’t buy one but if the design was on a tote bag I would have bought that

my Land + Fill theory is that she was pushed into releasing the album by her team and label. Since she didn't feel confident or felt pressured to go down a more 'commercial' sounding route, maybe another shot of her having commercial success similar to Electra Shart. We know that atlantic asked her to do a video for bubblegum bitch after it blew up on tiktok (atlantic bffr) so if her label pressured her to go down a more 'commercially' sounding route, I wouldn't be surprised. 

25 minutes ago, 132 said:

my Land + Fill theory is that she was pushed into releasing the album by her team and label. Since she didn't feel confident or felt pressured to go down a more 'commercial' sounding route, maybe another shot of her having commercial success similar to Electra Shart. We know that atlantic asked her to do a video for bubblegum bitch after it blew up on tiktok (atlantic bffr) so if her label pressured her to go down a more 'commercially' sounding route, I wouldn't be surprised. 

she was under pressure (by Atlantic and her own fans and probably herself) but I think she wanted to do that sound, she said the songs were meant to be given away so that could explain the commercial sound, but if this is Marina’s revisionism again then maybe she was influenced by Jack and disconnect for the more commercial sound. I think in her own words she’s admitted to doubting herself and leaning in others during the era.

also, I remember in 2019, someone emailed the original designer and they said the original handmade heaven artwork was scrapped “because of politics” and they were made to work through christmas and new years, if true this explains handmade heaven randomly being delayed from January to February and why the cover she ended up using was so... not it (I remember the preview dropping and thinking it would be a much more zoomed out picture, for it to just be a slightly less cropped image:rip:)

I do wonder if this is why marina sort of ‘gave up’ she seemed so excited and then didn’t want to do anything, in that youtube q&a she was asked why she picked the covers and she said ‘I just don’t know!’ and awkwardly laughed, her description of what she saw the albums as with her synaesthesia was so different too, so I do believe some kind of bts drama happened. 

she also said the singles would be different from the first songs on the album then proceeded to release the first 3 tracks as singles and completely ignored fear (until project karma)

maybe it was just the last straw for her ‘big comeback’ and realised it was never going to live up to FROOT (in her fans eyes) and threw L+F to the wolves. I don’t even think L+F is bad, it’s definitely a bad era and an average album, just not marina’s average.

she just waited so long then reproduced songs (she should have kept the Swedish songs for her next album instead of reworking what she already had) and kept polishing ones she had and overworked the songs. a lot of the demos are much better just by having less stuff, and like we’ve all said just some simple song swaps would have made all the difference. we have local files, it’s just a shame she can’t profit off them (idk why she doesn’t use bandcamp?)

4 minutes ago, 132 said:

honestly that tweet aged so bad, but in september 2018 the album might have been good! with the original artwork and singles she wanted, the album wasn’t mixed so she hadn’t ruined it in that aspect too:rip:

the album just is ‘too many cooks’ personified

Just now, AllForYou said:

honestly that tweet aged so bad, but in september 2018 the album might have been good! with the original artwork and singles she wanted, the album wasn’t mixed so she hadn’t ruined it in that aspect too:rip:

I think that she should've put holiday on the album. It fits sonically and lyrically (written from a place of fear) but it's would've been the best song on there so she had to scrap

oh my god also. she could've done such a good roll out for the album or like a box set (similar to froot so i can see why she wouldn't) but she could've done it like side A is a love song and side B is a fear song that correlates to the love song. or even a book of the photoshoot, or literally anything that was more than one vinyl being black and the other white. 

for the 5th anniversary or the 10th, she should repackage the album, with ALL the outtakes. she could then go onto do something like Love + Fear: The Demos. Like she could make hella bank. 

I've always said and always will; If I was Marina, I would release 2 albums/EPs to follow up the main album. ALBUM NAME: The Outtakes and ALBUM NAME: The Demos. She could go a step further and even do an instrumental release of the album. LIKE COME ON MARINA, GET YOUR COIN INSTEAD OF LEAKERS GETTING IT FOR YOU

3 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

no song added would've saved this album, trust me. it was hated by fans nearly from the very beginning

the only song I have always hated and always will is orange trees. 

the album as a whole is poor by marina standards though, it lacks depth imo.

anyslays, marina release the Love + Fear: Outtakes album <3