Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

10 minutes ago, Embach said:

It's not really about the sound, it's more of the similar thematics and lyrics of Born To Die and Electra Heart (which made Tumblr community go insane) + they were friends.

This makes a lot more sense. I'm not really in tune with Lana's personal life or stuff outside of her music so I didn't catch on to the additional context.

18 hours ago, AllForYou said:

I agree, but she has made some weird decisions especially in her self-admitted 'sellout era'. like spending so much of her music video budget on radioactive, which she called a promotional single and lowkey irrelevant to the album whilst she was on the promotional press run for the single:toofloppy: she should have spent that money on primadonna's mv which is iconic in its own right but as music videos go radioactive's has replay value imo. (also iirc the vinyl mess was a lot of artists at the time, the factory they make vinyls in was seriously backed up on orders & it affected bigger artists than marina)

(this isn't directed at you) but I see a lot of people seemingly act like marina's 'lack of (commercial) success' is 100% atlantic's fault or her management (I saw a lot of people blame jess for L+F when jess managed her during FROOT & came up with the froot of the month idea!) when it's really a combination of factors which includes marina.

I think that L+F did pretty well after all, that era was also messy, like why did they even release LOVE EP first? Anyway the thing with Radioactive is that Marina had extremely high expectations towards this song and its failure is exactly why she abandoned it. Shampain was a failure as well so Marina pretended to hate it right after it was released LOL, as if she was pressured to make it a single. This is what Marina simply does, same with L+F, like "I was made by the label to do that" thing. Like girl c'me on, we love you but we know you love lying and hiding your insecurities wherever u go.

original.gif

On 8/1/2023 at 2:28 PM, CocoPoobles said:

OK so I'm genuinely curious about the overlap between Lana and Marina fans. I tried her stuff out years ago (like ~2015) and wasn't into it, even though everyone kept saying how "similar" they were. Is this an actual thing or is it just testament to Lana's unique sound when the stylistically closest artists are still so different?

well in my case from 2012 when i found marina and then got into lana through her part of it certainly was the fact that they each had their own unique sound from other artists at the time.. in contrast i guess lanas was way more theatrical and baroque while marinas was more synthish and electronic and what have you (along with piano ballads) in sound 

and this was  during lana and marinas heavily and prime old americana inspired eras which is something i also deeply resonated with since my mom was obsessed with that aesthetic and literally had our kitchen made into a 50s diner theme at my childhood home (which is more of a personal thing more than anything skskss). my nana is also similar as well.. so aesthetically i found something that i really connected to and admired. they’re also both immigrants so i think being the first born in the states the  american dream and idealization kind of thing was just kind of like…. part of me

i think the most important element is how personally connected they are to their own lyrics too. but can also play them up into some sort of extremes or fantasy as well. 

also i was just incredibly mentally ill without any outlet since like talking about my experiences was always something i felt i had to avoid  SKDKDKD  :toofunny: 
but uh. it was really nice to have these artists to finally connect to with who wrote about alcohol/ drug addiction, different forms of abuse, difficult relationships, and parental/family issues and just reflections of themselves and how they’d want to present themselves to others.

cause that’s like all i knew at the time. and they somehow made it comforting and i finally has something to connect to at that age since i couldn’t really get that with anyone else LOL

also lana and marina are both Leo moons… as am i… our moons are in Leo indeed…

so i think it was just destined to be from the moment the stars formed. born to be a lana del rey fan. :true:
you know what i havent listened to buy the stars in a hot minute… so that’s what im going to do now 

Pearl-praying.webp?fit=300,200&ssl=1

gZ0f.gif

As a European I never cared about any Americana thing, what resonated with me as a teenager was how boldly Lana and Marina depicted depression, existential and identity crises and tragic love, something that most artists usually dared not to talk about at that time, the radio was mostly either dubstep dance rubbish or Adele-soul and it was also the time when song streaming wasn't a thing so obviously finding new artists was harder, hence we had Tumblr. Marina's and Lana's quotes and images literally ruled that site. They both explored the themes of identity, loneliness, unreciprocated feelings and were able to put all of that under the facade of commercially accessible wise pop records.

original.gif

see moments like her posting her cover of true colors on her story give me an ounce of hope, but then i remember that, before adiaml, she posted a video of herself listening/singing along to lonely hearts club with the caption “getting inspiration…” or whatever and then we got… not lhc vibes at all whatsoever 😭 

Listening Marina can really set you free :hair: right now I was listening to her first three albums and it reminded me of all the middle school self-loathing nostalgia. When you're feeling quite angry or low, her early music can set your really free. Especially The Family Jewels.

url%5D

On 8/4/2023 at 11:17 PM, brandon said:

see moments like her posting her cover of true colors on her story give me an ounce of hope, but then i remember that, before adiaml, she posted a video of herself listening/singing along to lonely hearts club with the caption “getting inspiration…” or whatever and then we got… not lhc vibes at all whatsoever 😭 

I could see Venus Fly Trap slightly influenced by LHC tho

original.gif

23 minutes ago, Veinsineon said:

SOMEONE MADE A PAMPLEMOUSEE AI DEMO AND IT SOUNDS SO REAL IM SSSSSSS

https://on.soundcloud.com/i8SLPLthHQ75EjAh6

I actually made this because I didn't think anybody else was going to. Its not very good but it needed to be done 😪 

Everytime I try to fly, I fall

39 minutes ago, AllForYou said:

she was so dirty for teasing that and not dropping it on bandcamp or something

15 minutes ago, 132 said:

I saw this on the homepage and thought what the fuck is happening now

Explain pls what happened?

url%5D

9 minutes ago, Embach said:

whenever this is on the front page i get scared cause its either chill or nuclear war in here x

what if the cockroaches have psychedelic pussy?

sorry but people of the reddit species are so weird. someone said that the weird barbie was in the oh no music video and i basically said its not the weird barbie, got downvoted for stating facts like please :lmao:

22 minutes ago, Embach said:

in the froot era she said froot was originally 7ish minutes long, so of course everyone wanted it to know what the extra 2ish minutes were, then in 2020 she randomly played some of the demo in a workshop (starts around 1m in, I tried to just paste the youtube link but lanaboards did not like that for some reason)

Just now, 132 said:

sorry but people of the reddit species are so weird. someone said that the weird barbie was in the oh no music video and i basically said its not the weird barbie, got downvoted for stating facts like please :lmao:

that subreddit is like... 90% polls and 'why doesn't anyone like love + fear, I like love + fear!'

2 minutes ago, AllForYou said:

that subreddit is like... 90% polls and 'why doesn't anyone like love + fear, I like love + fear!'

delete before that starts again for the 50th time omg

Spoiler

but we all tired of it like shut uppp its getting old 

1 minute ago, 132 said:

delete before that starts again for the 50th time omg

Reveal hidden contents

but we all tired of it like shut uppp its getting old 

we need someone talented in the thread to do something with the L+F stems that leaked and made absolutely no noise, like almost all of them leaked and no one cared, the entire L+F photoshoot leaked and no one cared, there are even a couple of snippets from songs that haven't leaked and no one cares:bebe: