This is easily one of Lana's emotional songs ever. The composition is actually insane, it all sounds like an Ascension. It's Lana's post-mortem letter, intra vitam.

The song starts with the choir warming up / practicing, one of them makes a mistake and then they try again. Lana herself stated that this intro was very meaningful, and it actually is; as long as you're alive, you can always try again, you always have another chance. I also think that the inclusion of the Rocky Mountains line, which was originally meant to first appear towards the end of the song, has a lot of meaning because the very first person she's paying homage to in this album is her late uncle Dave. She mourns her uncle first and then goes to appreciate and protect those around her who are still alive. "My pastor told me / When you leave, all you take / Is your memories". These simple lyrics have so much power, like she found a new meaning in life, which is her family. That piece of advice changed her and her perspective on life. Compassion, to think of each other, to be good people and think about the legacy we leave on Earth; do you think about heaven? "I'm doing the hard stuff / I'm doing my time / I'm doing it for us / For our family line", oh god, the DELIVERY in this part is incredible. I think it might have to do with her kind of reuniting her family? She's doing the hard stuff to keep the Grants intact and cared for (I also think by "the Grants" she means all her family friends too). She's taking a maternal role, doing the hard stuff.

In Kintsugi, she sings about how death made her life "flash in front" of her, and also made her wonder who would be at her future funeral, like a movie. For the outro of The Grants, she mentions multiple scenes in such a beautiful, relatable yet cinematic way. She's actually ascending, letting the light in, taking all these memories - the place where her uncle died, the voice of John Denver, her niece, her grandmother's final days... And also that despite and after all, it's a beautiful life, and she wants everyone to keep that in mind until our very last breath.

HAPPY 1ST ANNIVERSARY THE GRANTS I'LL NEVER FORGET THE EXPERIENCE OF LISTENING TO THIS MASTERPIECE FOR THE FIRST TIME, IT WAS ETHEREAL!!!!!!!!!!

url%5D