lflflflflflflflflflf

[RESULTS] LanaBoards - Ultimate Lana Song Ranking: 2012 Edition

I just suspect it’s become a thing in this community to bash Lucky Ones in an exaggerated way. Do you genuinely think that Lucky Ones is the nadir of her entire catalogue?

I'm kinda thinking the same thing too.

I do really like Lucky Ones. It's a cute song and I think the lyrics are sweet. It's definitely not the worst ever.

It did get some upvotes but altogether it was the most disliked. I just don't understand the hate.

I'll probably do this again at the end of 2013 and I hope more people will do it so we get better results.

The Lucky Ones thing is another topic entirely. I have no problem with people disliking that song or any other song for that matter (why would i?) I just suspect it’s become a thing in this community to bash Lucky Ones in an exaggerated way. Do you genuinely think that Lucky Ones is the nadir of her entire catalogue? Of every last song and demo we’ve heard from her, that is the absolute worst? Come on, Chance, are you for real or is that just affectation? And Every Man Has His Wish is in your TOP THREE? I mean, that’s totally bonkers to me. But that’s fine, tastes are one of the most inexplicable things in life, i accept that. I just don’t entirely buy that the Lucky Ones criticism as a whole is completely genuine. It seems to have taken on a life of its own. Honestly, i think because in the still early days it had the inevitable misfortune of being measured against the rest of Born to Die (the big “debut”), and it was given the bonus track stigma. And, sure, this poll would refute that idea because it’s pitting every single song against each other, but i think long before this, it was set in motion that Lucky Ones was an utter abomination and it has since solidified as this conventional, kind of empty idea that just gets repeated over and over. Don’t get me wrong, i’m not doubting that you and others don’t like it; i just have a hard time believing it is hated to such a degree.

Gosh, i don’t mean to kill the fun of this poll/thread, really.

If this is my final standoff with Lucky Ones then it will be totally fine by me.

It is my least favorite song. I do not have any sort of mob mentality with hating it, and in fact probably couldn't immediately name another user who has expressed hatred for it. I mean obviously it isn't the worst thing in music, I just genuinely believe it's the worst in her catalog, as far as my tastes go. Of any of her demos and shitty pop flukes and overproduced misses, it really rubs me wrong. Let me tell you that I had the standard edition of Born to Die for at least two months before I even approached the bonus tracks, so I'm not sure comparison had anything to do with it. More than most people I've spoken to on the subject, I think I have a sense for the grand total of her songs--like, I don't often find myself forgetting many or not playing them. So it's not that it's my least favorite on Born to Die or my least favorite that's in the collective conscious. It's just my least favorite. It's not a community thing. I got really bothered by that "hyperbole" thing, I mean it's an honest opinion. Objectively, sure it's written better than Sirens and the vocals are nice, but this isn't objective and it's not an exaggeration. What would you suggest should be my least favorite? I can't think of a stupider affectation to carry out for months on end, I mean there's a difference between hearing a new leak and immediately saying "THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER!" (which has more to do with your language issues) and maintaining as long as the community has been alive that Lucky Ones is the lowest of the low.

I'm obviously not speaking for the rest of the forum, but Lucky Ones is my least favorite Lana song, point blank. No hyperbole loving here. I don't like it. Don't make me go into why I don't like it because that has been expressed again and again.

If we can get beyond that, I'd love to know why you think EMHHW is anything less than a masterpiece. (Affectation? Who me? :creepna:)

Guest Dot

Alright so I personally didn't include any of Lanas old or unreleased songs in my list. I really didn't like most of them when I listened to them!

Please don't kill me...but I really don't get the obsession with the aka album as well. I think BTD and Paradise have far more quality than aka. I really like the Lolyta demo though! And I think the demo for TIWMUG!

If we can get beyond that, I'd love to know why you think EMHHW is anything less than a masterpiece. (Affectation? Who me? :creepna:)

Yeah, EMGHW made my top five too. :whitney:

FWIW...

01. [+15] Yayo (2010) wav.gif

02. [+14] Gramma flowers.gif

03. [+13] For K Part 2 celebrate.gif

04. [+12] Dum Dum yes.gif

05. [+11] Every Man Gets His Wish stirthepot.gif

06. [+10] You Can Be the Boss

07. [+09] Heavy Hitter

08. [+08] Pawn Shop Blues

09. [+07] Off to the Races

10. [+06] Daddy Issues

11. [+05] Radio

12. [+05] Get Drunk

13. [+05] Blue Jeans

14. [+04] Jimmy Gnecco

15. [+04] Queen of the Gas Station (acoustic demo, with layered vocals)

16. [+04] You're Gonna Love Me

17. [+03] Driving in Cars

18. [+03] Serial Killer

19. [+02] A Star for Nick

20. [+02] Prom Song (Gone Wrong)

21. [+01] Million Dollar Man (demo)

22. [-01] Push Me Down dry.gif

23. [-05] Back to tha Basics Yawn.gif

24. [-10] Gangsta Boy rolleyes.gif

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

Alright so I personally didn't include any of Lanas old or unreleased songs in my list. I really didn't like most of them when I listened to them!

Please don't kill me...but I really don't get the obsession with the aka album as well. I think BTD and Paradise have far more quality than aka. I really like the Lolyta demo though! And I think the demo for TIWMUG!

But have you really given the older songs a fair chance then? I mean, I found BTD and Paradise very easy to "get into" and I loved them instantly, while aka and many of the other older songs grew on me slowly. I listened to them over and over again since I was quite obsessed and needed to make sure that I wouldn't miss out on any single hidden pearl in her previous works. And every time I went through that long list of songs, I found at least one previously hidden pearl :)

What I'm trying to say is that many of her older songs demand more of the listener than BTD and Paradise does, but they can also be even more rewarding when your mind opens up to them.

Obviously I don't know how much you have listened to them. If you have given them a fair chance and still don't like them, I apologize for this rant..

hmm...i'm a bit peeved off atm it seems that the most negative comments about the order and places of songs seem to be from people who couldn't be bothered to vote. This might be a completely ridiculous idea but if you bothered to vote then you could have changed the song's rankings...

:smokes:

4VgqAMv.gif

~xxx~

If this is my final standoff with Lucky Ones then it will be totally fine by me.

It is my least favorite song. I do not have any sort of mob mentality with hating it, and in fact probably couldn't immediately name another user who has expressed hatred for it. I mean obviously it isn't the worst thing in music, I just genuinely believe it's the worst in her catalog, as far as my tastes go. Of any of her demos and shitty pop flukes and overproduced misses, it really rubs me wrong. Let me tell you that I had the standard edition of Born to Die for at least two months before I even approached the bonus tracks, so I'm not sure comparison had anything to do with it. More than most people I've spoken to on the subject, I think I have a sense for the grand total of her songs--like, I don't often find myself forgetting many or not playing them. So it's not that it's my least favorite on Born to Die or my least favorite that's in the collective conscious. It's just my least favorite. It's not a community thing. I got really bothered by that "hyperbole" thing, I mean it's an honest opinion. Objectively, sure it's written better than Sirens and the vocals are nice, but this isn't objective and it's not an exaggeration. What would you suggest should be my least favorite? I can't think of a stupider affectation to carry out for months on end, I mean there's a difference between hearing a new leak and immediately saying "THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER!" (which has more to do with your language issues) and maintaining as long as the community has been alive that Lucky Ones is the lowest of the low.

I'm obviously not speaking for the rest of the forum, but Lucky Ones is my least favorite Lana song, point blank. No hyperbole loving here. I don't like it. Don't make me go into why I don't like it because that has been expressed again and again.

Fair enough. I stand corrected.

I don't know if it was a rhetorical question or not, but to answer it, i don't think any song should be your favorite. Who am i or who is anyone else to determine that? My point wasn't about anything beyond simply having a hard time believing that some of the sentiments about LO aren't exaggerated.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

Yeah, EMGHW made my top five too. :whitney:

FWIW...

01. [+15] Yayo (2010) wav.gif

02. [+14] Gramma flowers.gif

03. [+13] For K Part 2 celebrate.gif

04. [+12] Dum Dum yes.gif

05. [+11] Every Man Gets His Wish stirthepot.gif

06. [+10] You Can Be the Boss

07. [+09] Heavy Hitter

08. [+08] Pawn Shop Blues

09. [+07] Off to the Races

10. [+06] Daddy Issues

11. [+05] Radio

12. [+05] Get Drunk

13. [+05] Blue Jeans

14. [+04] Jimmy Gnecco

15. [+04] Queen of the Gas Station (acoustic demo, with layered vocals)

16. [+04] You're Gonna Love Me

17. [+03] Driving in Cars

18. [+03] Serial Killer

19. [+02] A Star for Nick

20. [+02] Prom Song (Gone Wrong)

21. [+01] Million Dollar Man (demo)

22. [-01] Push Me Down dry.gif

23. [-05] Back to tha Basics Yawn.gif

24. [-10] Gangsta Boy rolleyes.gif

Ooh, I forgot to demote "Gangsta Boy" & "Push Me Down!" Good thinking! :P

Any way, here's my list. Looking back on it, some things should definitely be moved around, but at the time I was content with this arrangement. :/

01. [+15] For K Part 2

02. [+14] Backfire

03. [+13] Raise Me Up

04. [+12] Ghetto Baby

05. [+11] Afraid

06. [+10] Without You ("Live" Demo)

07. [+09] Noir

08. [+08] Summer of Sam

09. [+07] Moi Je Joue

10. [+06] I Don't Wanna Go

11. [+05] Children of the Bad Revolution

12. [+05] Daddy Issues

13. [+05] Prom Song (Gone Wrong)

14. [+04] Butterflies Pt. 2

15. [+04] Put the Radio On

16. [+04] Paradise

17. [+03] Serial Killer

18. [+03] Wrong

19. [+02] Boarding School

20. [+02] Driving in Cars with Boys

21. [+01] This is What Makes Us Girls (Soundcloud Demo)

22. [-01] American Dream (Damn You)

23. [-05] Delicious

24. [-10] Making Out

Fair enough. I stand corrected.

I don't know if it was a rhetorical question or not, but to answer it, i don't think any song should be your favorite. Who am i or who is anyone else to determine that? My point wasn't about anything beyond simply having a hard time believing that some of the sentiments about LO aren't exaggerated.

Settled then. Now what's wrong with Every Man Has His Wish? :creep2:

I'm ok with the results, I don't know how Yayo got that high and how Lucky Ones got that low because neither are brilliant or terrible to me, both kind of middling songs idk.

Anyway here was my list:

01. [+15] Last Girl on Earth

02. [+14] Ride

03. [+13] Million Dollar Man

04. [+12] Driving in Cars with Boys (Higher version with longer prechorus)

05. [+11] National Anthem (The Nexus Demo)

06. [+10] Hollywood's Dead

07. [+09] Video Games

08. [+08] Velvet Crowbar

09. [+07] Born To Die

10. [+06] Burning Desire

11. [+05] This Is What Makes Us Girls (Demo 2)

12. [+05] American

13. [+05] Jimmy Gnecco

14. [+04] Off To The Races

15. [+04] Blue Jeans

16. [+04] Trash Magic

17. [+03] Backfire

18. [+03] Mermaid Motel

19. [+02] On Our Way

20. [+02] Raise Me Up (Mississippi South)

21. [+01] Jealous Girl

22. [-01] Delicious

23. [-05] Axl Rose Husband

24. [-10] Come When You Call Me America (any version)

Also really upset that big bad wolf came so low no one ever gives it a chance :pft:

i have a tumblr right

here.

Settled then. Now what's wrong with Every Man Has His Wish? :creep2:

Nothing's wrong with it. It's all right. But number three? Out of all of her songs? I just don't see that. She has so many songs that i think are significantly better. The whistling part in the intro is exciting and promising but no other part of the song ever lives up to it. The pre-chorus and chorus are lackluster. The rapping bridge automatically sets the song back because it's pretty embarrassing. And the lyrics are kind of puerile. Though i do like how the chorus gives the title a twist.

I guess it could be strategic voting. I like Ride/Yayo/Born To Die/ but I didn't vote for any of them because I knew that other people would. I put my higher votes for less popular songs to give them a little boost up in the list.

I'm still very angry at Noir at the top of the list. It should really be somewhere in the 30th-40th bracket. Song is terrible, sorry.

Nothing's wrong with it. It's all right. But number three? Out of all of her songs? I just don't see that. She has so many songs that i think are significantly better. The whistling part in the intro is exciting and promising but no other part of the song ever lives up to it. The pre-chorus and chorus are lackluster. The rapping bridge automatically sets the song back because it's pretty embarrassing. And the lyrics are kind of puerile. Though i do like how the chorus gives the title a twist.

Uh my opinion couldn't be more opposite actually. I like that the pre-chorus/chorus just kind of bops along, doesn't blow up into any sort of traditional chorus but still has a fun melody. The bridge is a serious, serious moment that I stop for no matter what. It's sweet, clever, fun--embarrassing, really? The worst moment in the song? I don't see that at all. The song is so inventive but simple at the same time. I just fill up with joy listening to it. It might actually be as good as it gets.

(PS. Does Madrigal like all of your posts or am I just catching a brief phenomenon here? :teehee:)

Agree with everything in this post except the part about the bridge, which I couldn't agree less with :D In fact, I use to think of it as one of the most important bridges that I've heard in any of her songs. It just raises the quality of the song to a whole new level.

Guest Dot

But have you really given the older songs a fair chance then? I mean, I found BTD and Paradise very easy to "get into" and I loved them instantly, while aka and many of the other older songs grew on me slowly. I listened to them over and over again since I was quite obsessed and needed to make sure that I wouldn't miss out on any single hidden pearl in her previous works. And every time I went through that long list of songs, I found at least one previously hidden pearl :)

What I'm trying to say is that many of her older songs demand more of the listener than BTD and Paradise does, but they can also be even more rewarding when your mind opens up to them.

Obviously I don't know how much you have listened to them. If you have given them a fair chance and still don't like them, I apologize for this rant..

Actually before I needed some time to get into Lanas music at all...I wasn't used to the style of her music and the way she sings so it actually took some time for her music to grow on me and I tbh I recently gave some of the old songs that were listed in the top spots a few more listens and I must say that I actually like a lot of them.

I really like Live or Die, EMGHW, DICWB, Never Let Me Go and Pawn Shop Blues. I think you're right and I might have to give some of the others a few more listens...but as of now I think it was good that I only voted for BTD and Paradise songs so they could stand a chance against all the other old or unreleased songs, lol.

I like that the pre-chorus/chorus just kind of bops along, doesn't blow up into any sort of traditional chorus but still has a fun melody.

When i say lackluster that doesn't mean that blowing up into a sort of traditional chorus would be the answer to that. I'm not necessarily looking for songs to blow up in the chorus. I'm not looking for songs to specifically do anything other than be good. And i absolutely love it when songs just bop along, as you say.

I use to think of it as one of the most important bridges that I've heard in any of her songs. It just raises the quality of the song to a whole new level.

That's how i think of the bridges in so many of her songs. Not this one though.

When i say lackluster that doesn't mean that blowing up into a sort of traditional chorus would be the answer to that. I'm not necessarily looking for songs to blow up in the chorus. I'm not looking for songs to specifically do anything other than be good. And i absolutely love it when songs just bop along, as you say.

So...

I'll just wait for you to see the light. Of all the songs to be unimpressed with, I've never heard that.

I'll just wait for you to see the light.

Maybe if you were to turn on the lights instead of trying to keep me in the dark so that you could keep poking my dick with yours, you weirdo.

:mj: