Strangelove

Fans suffering from "Unreleased Syndrome"

6 minutes ago, Dior said:

I would argue the "branding" aspect is the song being released or unreleased. There is a certain label attached to the song similarly to the shoes that people are drawn to both literally and figuratively. 

Huh? But that's literally not how it works. You are not holding anything constant, other than the fact that both groups would contain Lana songs. It would be highly variable. It would be like asking people to chose between Chanel shoes from the 1960s or Chanel shoes from the 2020s; and arguing that "true" Chanel fans would prefer the 1960s shoes because of "scarcity bias" and average shoe consumers would have no clear preference. It makes no sense. Your stylistic choice has nothing to do with your knowledge of the lore. 

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

9 minutes ago, Dior said:

I would argue the "branding" aspect is the song being released or unreleased. There is a certain label attached to the song similarly to the shoes that people are drawn to both literally and figuratively. 

i think comparing the brand of shoes and whether or not a song is released or unreleased is like comparing apples to oranges, honestly, the way people feel about shoes is totally different to how they feel about songs from an artist they enjoy/their favorite artist

regardless if a song is released or unreleased really shouldn't change how a person feels about the song at the end of the day, humans are not that impressionable, somebody is going to either like or dislike a song whether it is released or not, if they like what they hear, they like what they hear

honestly, why does it matter so much if somebody likes a certain song whether it's released or not?

x14CtFn.gif  89cxvIN.gif  BolwSzs.gif

i  h a v e  a  d i s c o  b a l l  m i n d  . . .  l i g h t s  f l a s h i n g  a l l  o f  t h e  t i m e

Just now, Surf Noir said:

i think comparing the brand of shoes and whether or not a song is released or unreleased is comparing apples to oranges, honestly, the way people feel about shoes is totally different to how they feel about songs from an artist they enjoy/their favorite artist

I can sorttttt of see the analogy, but what gets me is that "unreleased Lana songs" are not "fake Lana songs" as the analogy seems to suggest...both would be real Chanel shoes in that analogy. 

I'm giving myself a headache can we stop talking about shoes and unreleased songs and whatever :runs: 

45 minutes ago, Veinsineon said:

Once I told someone my grandma was dying and she wanted to hear BAR before she’d gone… I was like 15 :prettyhurts:

I think it’s just a product of the generation that grew up on the internet and our desensitization to things

What does that have to do with--never mind :oopna2:

4 minutes ago, Mer said:

I can sorttttt of see the analogy, but what gets me is that "unreleased Lana songs" are not "fake Lana songs" as the analogy seems to suggest...both would be real Chanel shoes in that analogy. 

I'm giving myself a headache can we stop talking about shoes and unreleased songs and whatever :runs: 

I would have to log on my computer later today and really expand into what I am trying to say because I think the shoes were not a digestible example. I think you are bringing up some great points that I would love to expand on but I would need to research a bit and have a computer keyboard to really type out what I want. 

8 minutes ago, Mer said:

Huh? But that's literally not how it works. You are not holding anything constant, other than the fact that both groups would contain Lana songs. It would be highly variable. It would be like asking people to chose between Chanel shoes from the 1960s or Chanel shoes from the 2020s; and arguing that "true" Chanel fans would prefer the 1960s shoes because of "scarcity bias" and average shoe consumers would have no clear preference. It makes no sense. Your stylistic choice has nothing to do with your knowledge of the lore. 

Disconnect shoe from this conversation and replace it with impression. The impression of the shoe being high quality is the same way fans get an impression of a song being unreleased. 

Similarly, if the shoes are just presented normally, it would be Lana presenting her music normally as she would release it. There is a label attached to a song being "unreleased" the same way garments have a certain label whether figuratively or literally. 

9 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

i think comparing the brand of shoes and whether or not a song is released or unreleased is like comparing apples to oranges, honestly, the way people feel about shoes is totally different to how they feel about songs from an artist they enjoy/their favorite artist

regardless if a song is released or unreleased really shouldn't change how a person feels about the song at the end of the day, humans are not that impressionable, somebody is going to either like or dislike a song whether it is released or not, if they like what they hear, they like what they hear

honestly, why does it matter so much whether or not somebody likes a certain song whether it's released or not?

I am not judging anyone. Sorry if you are getting that vibe. This is just a discussion about how fans perceive her unreleased music... I respect everyone who likes her unreleased music and if they like it more than her unreleased. Some users here are offering their insight which is helping me understand. 

1 minute ago, Dior said:

Disconnect shoe from this conversation and replace it with impression. The impression of the shoe being high quality is the same way fans get an impression of a song being unreleased. 

Similarly, if the shoes are just presented normally, it would be Lana presenting her music normally as she would release it. There is a label attached to a song being "unreleased" the same way garments have a certain label whether figuratively or literally. 

No amount of keyboards in the world would make this analogy make sense, love. You're comparing quality with market-distribution, and it is incomparable. 

Just now, Mer said:

No amount of keyboards in the world would make this analogy make sense, love. You're comparing quality with market-distribution, and it is incomparable. 

That is okay if it doesn't make sense to you. But at least you can acknowledge nonetheless people have biases and that include fans. As I said in my post, this is not just the case for Lana fans. Often a certain ending to a video game or movie will leak or be released post-maturely and there will be an uproar. I think Surf Noir rationalizes a lot of what I wanted to say. Or meal or drink sent back will be brought back without remaking it and the customer will say 'Oh this better'. 

Just now, The Siren said:

im sorry, venice bitch demo?????

I have seen fans online say the Did You Know There's A Tunnel Under Ocean Boulevard version is better than the other released one in YouTube and IG comments. I don't know if that is the fan consensus here. 

u Just have an interesting thinking and thats it, its cool u trying to understand it but its some where on the surface, and its Just wrong the way u are trying to Explore it methinks, its much more easier

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

1 minute ago, lanaismamom said:

u Just have an interesting thinking and thats it, its cool u trying to understand it but its some where on the surface, and its Just wrong the way u are trying to Explore it methinks, its much more easier

I am hoping someone with a degree or studying Pyschology or Sociology or Music Theory could give their opinion on it. I think it could be better conveyed but someone more familiar with the topic. 

53 minutes ago, joeboe30 said:

but yea i would say i've suffered from 'unreleased syndrome' i remember first getting into lana and literally nonstop going through her unreleased and wishing for them to be released.. cut to bb and there are the songs that i wished to be released on streaming just for me to never touch them. nectar and cherry blossom seem like exact rips that i was completely obsessed with and now i kinda just forget they exist. def a phenomena 

Hi. Just seeing this. Yes, I notice this happened with Blue Bannisters and Lindsay Lohan expressed a similar thought. Once the song loses the unreleased label the song loses that appeal. Despite the actual song not changing whatsoever. Thanks for your post joeboe30. 

I just feel most happy if we get both versions 😅 I often like them both, sometimes preferring the demo, sometimes the released version. I think it depends a lot on personal taste and what kind of music you like most. 

There’s another singer I follow for many years and my music taste changed during this time. Her last albums were a bit too much pop / "too produced" to me. Recently one of them leaked almost in full as demo, and I am totally in love with those and prefer the demos over the album, as they are more my kind of music. 

It was expensive watch it 

Just now, Olympia said:

I just feel most happy if we get both versions 😅 I often like them both, sometimes preferring the demo, sometimes the released version. I think it depends a lot on personal taste and what kind of music you like most. 

There’s another singer I follow for many years and my music taste changed during this time. Her last albums were a bit too much pop / "too produced" to me. Recently one of them leaked almost in full as demo, and I am totally in love with those and prefer the demos over the album, as they are more my kind of music. 

Hi. I feel the same way about Britney Spears to be honest. I think unreleased music is loads better than what her label had her put out. It's ballads and soft songs. At the funny same time I despise so many of her released ballads. I can't help but to think it was meant to be unreleased so I couldn't think to myself why did this make the album. Britney is a whole another topic though. If you like slower less pop stuff check out "State Of Grace" on YouTube. It's very unreleased Lana. 

1 hour ago, joeboe30 said:

but yea i would say i've suffered from 'unreleased syndrome' i remember first getting into lana and literally nonstop going through her unreleased and wishing for them to be released.. cut to bb and there are the songs that i wished to be released on streaming just for me to never touch them. nectar and cherry blossom seem like exact rips that i was completely obsessed with and now i kinda just forget they exist. def a phenomena 

They lost for me on the album, too, but because they did not all of them fit in that well. If she releases stuff this way, I prefer her not to release it. I am happy she rerecorded thunder so it wasn't a problem with this one. 

Actually I don't care if she releases leaked/unreleased songs or not, I just make my own compilations and enjoy to have "extra albums" in addition to the released ones. 

It was expensive watch it 

16 minutes ago, Dior said:

Once the song loses the unreleased label the song loses that appeal. Despite the actual song not changing whatsoever.

this is what im trying to tell, this is not how things goes, it has nothing to do with labels or whatever, it just this song is unnecessary on blue banisters and it lost its meaningfulness as a released song but its still cool to listen to it on its own and pretend its still unreleased in relation to the album it was made for, roughly saying ultraviolence, where the song wouldve fit so much better, not the relation to the song being unreleased and its loosing its cool with just being released, it has nothing to do with psychology or science and it's just wrong to see from this side because u will not find answers

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

5 minutes ago, lanaismamom said:

this is what im trying to tell, this is not how things goes, it has nothing to do with labels or whatever, it just this song is unnecessary on blue banisters and it lost its meaningfulness as a released song but its still cool to listen to it on its own and pretend its still unreleased in relation to the album it was made for, ultraviolence, where the song wouldve fit so much better, not the relation to the song being unreleased and its loosing its cool with just being released, it has nothing to do with psychology or science and it's just wrong to see from this side because u will not find answers

That comment was expanding on how another user felt. It wasn't meant to explain how you or others feel. Also, why we find music enjoyable can be explained by pyschology. I think you are finding the psychological aspect of the conversation not interesting and just dismissing it. Of course I'm not diagnosing anyone or making it a serious discussion so I don't think there's much use in dismissing the topic. 

1 hour ago, Mer said:

I think you've really nailed it here. A better analogy would be between Chanel shoes that are available in stores, or full prototypes that still went through the Chanel design/production process, but for marketing reasons were left off the shelf. Someone might genuinely like the latter more than the more widely available ones because they're cooler or more comfortable or whatever, and not only because they're interested in novelty.

Also, Pink Champagne and LMLYLAW are completely different songs, as are Earthquakes and A&W. They're more like a fan preferring Honeymoon to Born To Die, which just proves there is different taste in the world.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

54 minutes ago, Olympia said:

If she releases stuff this way, I prefer her not to release it. I am happy she rerecorded thunder so it wasn't a problem with this one. 

exactly this! felt so much like a compilation album to me. would rather her just release an actual compilation than try to merge them all into one