Elle

LDR10 - Pre-Pre-Release Thread

I'd like an album that is a bit more "polished" again. Not necessarily pop-production/ BtD style, but a sound like HM would be great.

Also, it would be cool to have her songs be a bit more "focussed" again. The experimental, artistic stuff is nice and everything, but the all-over-the-place-ness of tracks like Peppers, Black Bathing Suit, Margaret or Taco Truck X VB is ... not something I personally long for.

I think an album with big orchestral sound would be great. Specifically thinking of large string arrangements.

Imagine ballads like DYKTTATUOB, IYLDWM or Arcadia but with major orchestral elements, some extra instrumental bridges, ...:flutter:

Something along the lines of Ane Brun's "Last Breath", Angel Olsens "Chance" or "You Won't Forget Me" by Melody Gardot

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

27 minutes ago, Thunder Revenant said:

I'd like an album that is a bit more "polished" again. Not necessarily pop-production/ BtD style, but a sound like HM would be great.

Also, it would be cool to have her songs be a bit more "focussed" again. The experimental, artistic stuff is nice and everything, but the all-over-the-place-ness of tracks like Peppers, Black Bathing Suit, Margaret or Taco Truck X VB is ... not something I personally long for.

I think an album with big orchestral sound would be great. Specifically thinking of large strinh arrangements.

Imagine ballads like DYTTATUOB, IYLDWM, Arcadia or Sweet but with major orchestral elements, some extra instrumental bridges, ...:flutter:

Something along the lines of Ane Brun's "Last Breath", Angel Olsens "Chance" or "You Won't Forget Me" by Melody Gardot

I second this. As much as I miss beats, I also meets huge orchestral productions ala Ride, Born to Die and Young and Beautiful.

Like, if you're gonna do a ballad, do it right. None of that minimalist Sweet stuff.

That being said, OCEAN BOULEVARD's PRODUCTION (title track) SLAYED BEYOND REASON.

3 hours ago, barttttender said:

ummmmm, like i said, taco is a bop (minus the first 3 mins). The rest are def not hops

The rest definitely are, they have beats duh

url%5D

Personally speaking (and I say this respectfully) I get kinda bored reading the same comments about wanting Lana to get back to doing “bops” (which I don’t really understand as she’s rarely ever done them in a conventional way) specially because it can become tiresome and superficial once you see those opinions spread across many threads. However I understand that to each their own but…

What I miss from Lana is the cohesion of something like Honeymoon, still her best produced album to date that included a crazy variety of instrumentation that all fit together in unison to serve her vision of how she wanted the album to feel and sound like. It also operated in a soundscape that to this day is still very hard for me to define: is it jazz? is it “muddy trap” like she described it at the time? is it bluesy? is it all of the above? I feel like with Honeymoon she took such a risk by incorporating all these different genres into one piece that sounds both so modern and so timeless and evocative at once. A lot of people say going from BTD to UV was really bold (which I 100% agree with) but going from UV to HM was just as ambitious and dare I say the moment where she proved to me - without any shred of doubt - that she could do it all. I miss that feeling of unpredictability and atmosphere she created with her albums up until NFR (that one included, as I feel NFR is far more cohesive and coherent than some people give it credit for). I miss the surprise, the early shock, the “how the hell is she going to pull this off?”.

To hell with bops and radio hits (that a Lana fan even verbalizes this 12 years into her career is absurd). Give me a record that’s so mysterious, intricate and so seemingly distant from my own comfort zone that it forces to peel back its layers for years to come in order for me to realize it’s always been as close to my heart and my experiences as humanly possible. I adore OB to death (my third favorite album from her) but I really do miss feeling the production and instrumentation making the stakes feel higher and bolder.

IMG-1607.jpg

2 hours ago, barttttender said:

Seriously? Low-fi beats in a quiet slow-burn trip-hop ballad like Tulsa Jesus Freak doesn't make it a bop, duh

As long as you can twerk to it, it's a bop, no offense 🤷‍♀️

url%5D

1 hour ago, Sportscruiser said:

Personally speaking (and I say this respectfully) I get kinda bored reading the same comments about wanting Lana to get back to doing “bops” (which I don’t really understand as she’s rarely ever done them in a conventional way) specially because it can become tiresome and superficial once you see those opinions spread across many threads. However I understand that to each their own but…

What I miss from Lana is the cohesion of something like Honeymoon, still her best produced album to date that included a crazy variety of instrumentation that all fit together in unison to serve her vision of how she wanted the album to feel and sound like. It also operated in a soundscape that to this day is still very hard for me to define: is it jazz? is it “muddy trap” like she described it at the time? is it bluesy? is it all of the above? I feel like with Honeymoon she took such a risk by incorporating all these different genres into one piece that sounds both so modern and so timeless and evocative at once. A lot of people say going from BTD to UV was really bold (which I 100% agree with) but going from UV to HM was just as ambitious and dare I say the moment where she proved to me - without any shred of doubt - that she could do it all. I miss that feeling of unpredictability and atmosphere she created with her albums up until NFR (that one included, as I feel NFR is far more cohesive and coherent than some people give it credit for). I miss the surprise, the early shock, the “how the hell is she going to pull this off?”.

To hell with bops and radio hits (that a Lana fan even verbalizes this 12 years into her career is absurd). Give me a record that’s so mysterious, intricate and so seemingly distant from my own comfort zone that it forces to peel back its layers for years to come in order for me to realize it’s always been as close to my heart and my experiences as humanly possible. I adore OB to death (my third favorite album from her) but I really do miss feeling the production and instrumentation making the stakes feel higher and bolder.

:yawn:

OR, we can all just have our own opinions, needs and expectations? 

There's absolutely nothing wrong in expecting a pop start to make a conventional pop song. 

If you don't agree with it, you don't have to engage. 

9 minutes ago, barttttender said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong in expecting a pop start to make a conventional pop song. 

Which is what you just did with their post though?

Lana was never doing "conventional pop songs" if we leave out leaked unreleased stuff. Even BtD was not conventional nack im 2012. 

1 minute ago, Thunder Revenant said:

Which is what you just did with their post though?

Lana was never doing "conventional pop songs" if we leave out leaked unreleased stuff. Even BtD was not conventional nack im 2012. 

He replied to my post (or, rather, series of posts), dissing it. It's my opinion and I have a right to feel a certain way about my favorite musician, but he criticized it as invalid somehow.

What I said was that I have a right to my opinion, and the yawn was directed at anyone who feels like they can invalidate a person's personal view on a public forum. I hope that clarifies it for you.

As for the pop debate, pop music comes in a broad range of shapes and forms. At the end of the day, f it becomes hugely popular, then it's a popo song. Sinead O'Connor's Nothing Compares to You, while not a "conventional pop song" managed to get her to #1 worldwide and elevate her to a pop stardom.

Therefore, I'm not talking asking Lana to sing "Hey Mickey, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind" and turn herself into something she's not. That's not what I'm saying, and I know many others agree on this forum and off it.

I'm simply hoping she'll go back to her lighter side and release a less melancholic, more approachable, upbeat single more akin to her earlier output like Doin' Time, High by the Beach, Blue Jeans, Summertime Sadness, and beyond.   

And again, whoever disagrees with this and doesn't miss this stage of her career - good for you! But please don't moralize fans about what they should want or not want. It's a personal opinion. Thanks

23 minutes ago, barttttender said:

Where did you come from? I don’t even read your posts.

IMG-1607.jpg

5 minutes ago, Sportscruiser said:

Where did you come from? I don’t even read your posts.

I wrote a number of posts about wanting a bop on this thread, and then you posted right after saying " I get kinda bored reading the same comments about wanting Lana to get back to doing “bops." Interesting that you weren't talking about me then.

Also, couldn't care less if you read my posts since you're a complete stranger. Why d'a even tell me that? lmao

11 minutes ago, barttttender said:

He replied to my post (or, rather, series of posts), dissing it. It's my opinion and I have a right to feel a certain way about my favorite musician, but he criticized it as invalid somehow.

What I said was that I have a right to my opinion, and the yawn was directed at anyone who feels like they can invalidate a person's personal view on a public forum. I hope that clarifies it for you.

I mean - they did not though? 

You feeling adressed by posts does not mean they are directed personally towards you

Just now, Thunder Revenant said:

I mean - they did not though? 

You feeling adressed by posts does not mean they are directed personally towards you

I mean.... he's outright whining about people wanting bops, and I'm very much in the bop camp. #BopTeamUnite! Lmao

Just now, barttttender said:

I mean.... he's outright whining about people wanting bops, and I'm very much in the bop camp. #BopTeamUnite! Lmao

I’m not whining, I’m expressing a personal opinion. Don’t be disrespectful.

IMG-1607.jpg

Instead of manifesting genres, let's manifest groundbreaking brilliant perfect amazing phenomenal astonishing mind-blowing infinity/10 songs beause if we do that we'll be closer to the world peace

peace-world-peace.gif

url%5D