Elle

LDR10 - Pre-Pre-Release Thread

14 minutes ago, wilting daisy said:

joan baez and bob dylan didn't have a lot of big singles

True that. bob didn't get a major billboard hit until his recent, murder most foul, which was a long slow poetic ballad. So being a bop type song doesn't necessitate being a popular billboard song. 

hot take, but i hope ldr10 has music and singing :oprah3:

x14CtFn.gif  89cxvIN.gif  BolwSzs.gif

i  h a v e  a  d i s c o  b a l l  m i n d  . . .  l i g h t s  f l a s h i n g  a l l  o f  t h e  t i m e

7 minutes ago, Rust Dress said:

also suggesting that lana should hire another songwriter to a write a hit for her would send lana into a fit if she saw that, just knowing how strong she feels about being the only one to write her songs

yeah that’s the main thing that threw me off like wtf lana writes allll of her songs and that’s what makes her great. i can’t imagine her selling out by having someone else write pop hits for her, i would unstan so fast :biblio: unholy is a trashy ass song that’s already been forgotten. unlike lana sam smith’s non singles are practically unknown. she already has a cult following and is one of the most popular musicians of this generation; her spotify daily streams are on par with taylor swift and billie eilish even though they have more radio hits than her. 

plus if she wanted to write another summertime sadness or young and beautiful, she could do that with ease. she’s not dumb and she knows how to write songs like that again but clearly doesn’t want to. any day she can make btd 2.0, uv 2.0, hm 2.0, etc however it’s her choice on what sound and style she wants to go for 🤷‍♀️ 

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ

i feel like lana would be so insulted by somebody saying she should have somebody write songs for her so that she could have a radio hit, i feel like you hardly understand lana's art or even lana as a person if you think she would do that, or should do that

x14CtFn.gif  89cxvIN.gif  BolwSzs.gif

i  h a v e  a  d i s c o  b a l l  m i n d  . . .  l i g h t s  f l a s h i n g  a l l  o f  t h e  t i m e

33 minutes ago, Rust Dress said:

oh barttttender they’re gagging you in the LDR10 pre-pre-release thread.. :air:

i don’t know why we still complain about there not being any bops in her albums when her albums now are not designed to be full of bops.. and then when she puts bops it’s not enough or it doesn’t meet your standards. ever since btd, the stories in her albums have gotten deeper and deeper and it would be just odd to have a beat in the background. and also suggesting that lana should hire another songwriter to a write a hit for her would send lana into a fit if she saw that, just knowing how strong she feels about being the only one to write her songs

That’s a troll, right? They can’t possibly be for real.

IMG-1607.jpg

I don't think they were trying to imply someone writes all of her music, but getting a producer like Watts to make a starting point of a track, or even buying music people have made, and rewriting or adding on, isn't taking away anything Lana does. 

When Bradleys wife wanted someone to cover Doin Time for the sublime documentary, she wanted Lana to sing it and it ended up being better than the original. 

you may know doin time is actually a remix of a very old song by Gershwin,and the original lyrics to "Summertime" are by Heyward later covered and altered and brought again to popularity by Nina Simone. But the song is actually an extremely older folk song than that which exact origin or identity is not fully known. 

https://www.wfmt.com/2018/09/10/the-true-origins-of-gershwins-summertime/

12 minutes ago, Rivers said:

I don't think they were trying to imply someone writes all of her music, but getting a producer like Watts to make a starting point of a track, or even buying music people have made, and rewriting or adding on, isn't taking away anything Lana does. 

righttt like 😭 also? its always nice when an artist writes their own songs, but if they want to have someone else write them a hit every now and then? why not?! it’s probably a little fun for them, it doesn’t take away from the art just because they didn’t write it

reminds me of charli, known for writing her own music & also writing for other people, but sometimes she’ll simply take a writers demo, record it herself, and release it because… it’s fun! it’s nice to get a take that’s not your own - that’s what she did with Good Ones. doesn’t make her any less of an artist 

caring that much about who’s writing the music/if artists are writing alone or co-writing just feels so pretentious… :toofunny:like unstanning if she got a big name to write her a hit? 😭 let’s not be dramatic mamas 

1 hour ago, cherrytropico said:

yeah that’s the main thing that threw me off like wtf lana writes allll of her songs and that’s what makes her great. i can’t imagine her selling out by having someone else write pop hits for her, i would unstan so fast :biblio: unholy is a trashy ass song that’s already been forgotten. unlike lana sam smith’s non singles are practically unknown. she already has a cult following and is one of the most popular musicians of this generation; her spotify daily streams are on par with taylor swift and billie eilish even though they have more radio hits than her. 

plus if she wanted to write another summertime sadness or young and beautiful, she could do that with ease. she’s not dumb and she knows how to write songs like that again but clearly doesn’t want to. any day she can make btd 2.0, uv 2.0, hm 2.0, etc however it’s her choice on what sound and style she wants to go for 🤷‍♀️ 

The whole thing about Lana is that she writes her own songs… what would be the point of hearing Lana sing someone else’s words?

Lana-del-rey-happy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚖𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝚒 𝚍𝚎𝚌𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚍𝚘 𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚊𝚋𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐

Writing all the lyrics, singing, melodies, rhythms, for an entire album is one thing with a band, and an engineer. By yourself it is a monumental sized production. 

You also make a lot of things that you don't feel like going back to so most of the time you are making almost, twice as much music, as is going on an album, to actually make the album.

It's about striking that balance of being able to still do what you want to do, such as directing her own videos, when producers don't want to develop them, versus working with other producers or artists and their ideas. 

12 minutes ago, syrup amour said:

The whole thing about Lana is that she writes her own songs… what would be the point of hearing Lana sing someone else’s words?

Singers like Joan Baez sung alot of covers on their albums. 

2 minutes ago, Rivers said:

Singers like Joan Baez sung alot of covers on their albums. 

Well I don’t mean the covers, they say a lot about her, and she chooses good songs. However it wouldn’t be the same if Lana sung songs written to her by other songwriters. She takes pride in her own work, in her lyricism

Lana-del-rey-happy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚖𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝚒 𝚍𝚎𝚌𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚍𝚘 𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚊𝚋𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐

26 minutes ago, brandon said:

like unstanning if she got a big name to write her a hit? 😭 let’s not be dramatic mamas 

But if the alleged hit sounds like Old Time Road or Unholy... :hillary:

15 minutes ago, DCooper said:

But if the alleged hit sounds like Old Time Road...

Yeah Im not trying to disrespect guy, but that's about as cringe of a country song I could think of, but I guess I understand what he's trying to say. 

She's in that kinda country vibe on the tour with Nikki.

Her musics always trying to skate that edge of some type of genre but not being fully describable as one or the other.   

One thing seems for sure, that she doesn't ever make any music that is plastic, cheesy, or corny, and it seems she works very hard to never have made anything like that and tries to stay away from djs or whatever, who try to get artists to make the music only how they see fit. 

I think she was worried about that with, doin time, of perhaps not giving its worth as a song. Back then when sublime came out, so many people were listening to that so much. It was ridiculously good. 

Haha Jack and piano, I knew people on LB would be fuming :omfg2: Hey, maybe it’s for Rob’s second LP? :mj2:

seriously though, Lana can throw pretty much anything at me now: OB was very varied and I even love the quieter tracks. Besides, Jesse Rutherford released out of the blue a mixtape last Friday and there are a lot of « bops » in it (no Lana of course), so it should quench my thirst for bops.