Viva

Do you think that Lana was really mistreated by US critics or she is exaggerating and valuing the critics for some other reason?

Music is an industry, the medias is an industry, so are all the repporters and critics!

I can imagine, if some big boss didn't like Lana, he just told all of his clerks:

"hey,try to down Lana" and that's what they did - but they failed!

Cause lana is strong! :D

Yes and no. I think Lana created this fantasy world for herself and I think even if Interscope (or some lawyers) created the name Lana Del Rey Lizzy Grant was already surching for a new identity for a while. If she didn't become Lana Del Rey she would've become some other name was just a matter of time. But even in fantasy sometimes things go wrong and you have manage to put it back on the track you want. Don't get me wrong Lana managed to use the critics as much as they used her even more I suppose. If she used them in the right way? I don't think so. I think that she could've chose some other directions that would help her in the long run. I also think her manage team / Label are falling her in many aspects even the basic ones. I like to observe the devolopment of MKT actions how they operate I found it very interesting. Lana is interesting to me in some many aspects. I like her music a lot, I found her persona intersting and also I found Lizzy the person very interesting. The development of her career and what happened to her is also extremely interesting. So that is why sometimes I like to observate and think about the things Lana del rey's backlash, songs and career represents while I listen to her music that I love. Says a lot about the blogosphere, how a couple of sentences can build you up or bring you down and such sentences can spread all over in seconds. How your posture is important when the shit hits the fan. Is very interesting from several angles.

glgcDdT.gif

Well you can't expect them to know of and watch every single movie that is released in the world.

I know of course. I was young.... the thing is that I thought that was based only on merity and not some political moves or companies moves. I thought that the prizes got out to the most voted ones I never thought the reason why the most voted ones were the most voted ones.

glgcDdT.gif

Yes and no. I think Lana created this fantasy world for herself and I think even if Interscope (or some lawyers) created the name Lana Del Rey Lizzy Grant was already surching for a new identity for a while. If she didn't become Lana Del Rey she would've become some other name was just a matter of time. But even in fantasy sometimes things go wrong and you have manage to put it back on the track you want. Don't get me wrong Lana managed to use the critics as much as they used her even more I suppose. If she used them in the right way? I don't think so. I think that she could've chose some other directions that would help her in the long run. I also think her manage team / Label are falling her in many aspects even the basic ones. I like to observe the devolopment of MKT actions how they operate I found it very interesting. Lana is interesting to me in some many aspects. I like her music a lot, I found her persona intersting and also I found Lizzy the person very interesting. The development of her career and what happened to her is also extremely interesting. So that is why sometimes I like to observate and think about the things Lana del rey's backlash, songs and career represents while I listen to her music that I love. Says a lot about the blogosphere, how a couple of sentences can build you up or bring you down and such sentences can spread all over in seconds. How your posture is important when the shit hits the fan. Is very interesting from several angles.

You're right! That's life, you never know what's a blessing and what's a curse...

do you agree?

What I find really strange is that the label is too low-key for a major label!

I mean there is still no real nickname for the fans, or clothing lines...

would be interesting to find out, why is that?

http://www.youtube.com/user/lovelanalikelife ♥Music For Lana&Lana's Fans♥

The nicknames are given by the artists and Lana just isn't into that.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

True,

but I'm just suprised that the label is so laid-back?

Usually records labels are well-known for always wanna money-making...

I think the owner of 5 Points or somebody else said that she always does what she wants to and doesn't let other people make decisions for her. She's probably have a huge US tour planned otherwise.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

You're right! That's life, you never know what's a blessing and what's a curse...

do you agree?

What I find really strange is that the label is too low-key for a major label!

I wasn't talking about nicknames or clothing lines. I don't think neither is Lana style and I don't see her doing a clothing line or even a "Lana' doll. I was talking about the real MKT that goes under the table. How do you get on the radio? Dj's have to play you. Be in important shows (tv shows, miniseries all that stuff) disseminates your music a lot. Be in some focus cities, in the right events, the right festivals and goes on.

glgcDdT.gif

Here's what the meanest US reactions were (according to the website below), as well as a counter from the same website with some nice reactions (including one from hipsterrunnoff, probably misinformed on that one, but the quote is nice).

I think we all agree she worked hard enough after her hype disaster that she can not be dismissed from pop music. I would say that some of the nasty reviews qualify as poor quality reviews (more about extra-musical issues than the music). Her response of letting the fans/marketplace defend her and not getting in the fray was the most appropriate. I don't think critics went as far as character assasination, but I do think personal attack is an appropriate description (I think she used those words in the recent German interviews, there are now two). Other than illuminati influence on the critics (LOL), I can't explain such reviews.

Some other thoughts:

The group of anti-fans is shrinking in number. The Paradise EP did not get dissed much. Both CDs are, in fact, charting right now.

Touring is a complicated. At least in Europe she's touring with her boyfriend and travelling to exotic places. I don't think her not wanting to tour the US is a reaction to bad press. More like limiting an activity that is taxing. Also she did perform in the US before her "World" tour; she just didn't do it everywhere. Praise be to Youtube (and the fans that uploaded) for letting me experience some of it.

Major pop artists seem to like/respect/recommend/tolerate her. They are on her side, not the critics.

SNL performances were controversial and not bad. Saying they were bad, like it's a fact, isn't objectively true because at least as many people liked as disliked them. I for one went back to the SNL Blue Jeans (LanaDelReyVevo?) many times because I enjoyed it. Some critics even recognize this. 

A possible overreaction on her part, maybe, was changing her mind about re-releasing "... aka Lizzy Grant". If critical reaction did play a role, that would be a major bummer to me. I wish she would re-release that, and release May Jailer, and also put a dent in her unreleased/leaked catalog. It's the surest way to flip the bird at reviewers, who would get brain hemorrhages trying to figure out how to review them.

^ Most of the ones in the first link aren't even that bad. Ridiculous though? Yes. Their agenda is palpable. It's sensationalist writing with the aim of tearing someone apart because someone as singular and paradoxical as Lana Del Rey is confusing and threatening to people, and that always attracts these sort of reactions. These publications need to get readers, so they find their angle, fixate on it and overemphasize it, and they create sensation. The empty rhetoric in those blurbs is nauseating. That's all that shit is with online "music" journalism, it's just inflated, flowery bullshit used to gain readership, sway opinion, and seem "relevant." None of those reviews ever talk about music. Because those writers know very little to nothing about music. They're just writers and fans of popular culture, products of the Rolling Stone History of Rock propaganda machine. They write cute and highly stylized, and they're fixated on stupid metaphors, and their shit amounts to nothing. If i had the ability, Pitchfork is the first one i'd bankrupt and put out of business. Yeah, talk to me about human emotion, Pitchfork. 

Also, if i read that a record was recorded in a massive underwater cathedral, i would run to the store to buy that  :D

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

Also, if i read that a record was recorded in a massive underwater cathedral, i would run to the store to buy that  :D

I'm imagining it looking like La Sagrada Familia with seahorses and jellyfish floating by.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

^ Most of the ones in the first link aren't even that bad. Ridiculous though? Yes. Their agenda is palpable. It's sensationalist writing with the aim of tearing someone apart because someone as singular and paradoxical as Lana Del Rey is confusing and threatening to people, and that always attracts these sort of reactions. These publications need to get readers, so they find their angle, fixate on it and overemphasize it, and they create sensation. The empty rhetoric in those blurbs is nauseating. That's all that shit is with online "music" journalism, it's just inflated, flowery bullshit used to gain readership, sway opinion, and seem "relevant." None of those reviews ever talk about music. Because those writers know very little to nothing about music. They're just writers and fans of popular culture, products of the Rolling Stone History of Rock propaganda machine. They write cute and highly stylized, and they're fixated on stupid metaphors, and their shit amounts to nothing. If i had the ability, Pitchfork is the first one i'd bankrupt and put out of business. Yeah, talk to me about human emotion, Pitchfork. 

YOu're right! Especially with "sensationalist writing"

Everything's about making a BIG BANG...

Very fresh example: Kylie Minogue drops her career, never sings again...

Truth: Kylie just wants to focus right now more on her acting career.

The obvious occurred to me: Her harshest critics are us, her biggest fans. We’re honest, often brutally so. Our opinions come from a place of actually giving a shit, not a ploy to increase readership. We have her under an intense magnifying glass, scrutinizing her more thoroughly and more often than any publication ever will. Websites, blogs, and the rest of the peanut gallery take more of a cursory glance at her, remotely commenting on the music--while remarkably managing to not actually say anything about music!--just to work in the sensationalist angle, but we examine and pass our judgement on everything: production and arrangement details, vocal performances, setlists, stage presence, touring schedule, her outfits, her shoes, her hair and makeup, her lips and nose, her age, her friends, her family, her past, her relationships, her drug and alcohol use...i don’t have the energy to keep enumerating them all. And, finally, we’re consistent--we do this day in, day out, whereas most everyone else chimes in only when she releases new music or a new video. 

We’re a scary, intense bunch, let’s face it  :deadbanana:

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

critics are hypocrites,

most of them are

I don't think most critics are hypocrites at all, but I do think that they exaggerate their opinion on things in order to, as many users have said already, increase the amount of readers to their reviews.

It's known that the media is cruel, and they'll always try to destroy someone's whole career for a flaw.

I don't think most critics are hypocrites at all, but I do think that they exaggerate their opinion on things in order to, as many users have said already, increase the amount of readers to their reviews.

It's known that the media is cruel, and they'll always try to destroy someone's whole career for a flaw.

Imagine Lana really screws up during a gig or the newest release would flop...what would happen?

Imagine Lana really screws up during a gig or the newest release would flop...what would happen?

Well, yeah, they would exaggerate and they'd say she freaking sucks while performing live and that she isn't able to do it and that her new released lacks substance and this is the reason why it flopped.

Nothing, because a few websites would post it and if she's lucky a couple of printed publications. Face the truth, the world is certainly not as interested in her as many may think. Also, she's far from being the superstar she is sometimes made up to be.

Nothing, because a few websites would post it and if she's lucky a couple of printed publications. Face the truth, the world is certainly not as interested in her as many may think. Also, she's far from being the superstar she is sometimes made up to be.

I don't think so! They would be ignorant if they weren't interested in Lana