Sign in to follow this  
YourGirl666

Times when scrapping a song was the right choice

To me, HM is the best album when it comes to the final cut/song selection. Out of all the songs made before and during the album sessions, she really picked not the best but the ones that both actually worked for the album's concept, were individually great and added something to the narrative/flow/worldbuilding. So every scrap was worth it.

Also, replacing Zodiac with Candy Necklace was the right choice. I love Zodiac but Candy Necklace showed a new side of the album and even if she kept both, Zodiac would've ended up as a filler. 

the die life-electra heart outtakes not making the final cut was a good decision imo. specifcally scab & plaster, miss y and bump in the night, to me i feel like they could've been rewritten and reworked to fit the albums concept better, but im glad they were left out. they just have outsider energy lyrically and sonically. + i have no idea where theyd fit on the tracklist at all

and similar to what you said about zodiac ending up as filler if it was included, miss y & bump in the night would 100% too

PRE-ORDER 'EAT THE WORLD' — A COLLECTION OF POEMS BY MARINA DIAMANDIS HERE:

Regular Hardback: https://marinadiamandis.lnk.to/eattheworld

Hand-Signed Hardback: https://www.resident-music.com/productdetails&product_id=113257

If someone were to share “Love On The Golf Course”, I could tell you whether I think LFL is better with or without it :oprah6:

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

10 minutes ago, Mer said:

If someone were to share “Love On The Golf Course”, I could tell you whether I think LFL is better with or without it :oprah6:

i second this, also how do we know that Ocean Blvd is better without Zodiac if don't have it in HQ. I fear the people need it for research purposes :dua:

2e51cd1e8138f1fc806912eadd82fc13.gif

Like TV in black and white...

To be honest, if I am very very honest. I'm 100% satisfied with all the tracklist decisions on every one of Lana's album because since she's the mastermind of her works and she's must have released songs she loved the most and they curate a story of the album and the time period of her life.

If anything, her outtakes and demos deserve a separate b-sides or a compilation album.

2.gif

I'm not saying that Coachella should have been scrapped, but it needed more time to be fleshed out organically. I absolutely love its concept, and the whole idea pondering over the repeating of history. Young people who just want to relish in a carefree space while listening to incredible musical artistry, and yet they are condemned to live is a world of hatred and discord that will soon make them scared, cynical and disillusioned like all generations before them. Lyrically, the first verse and chorus are stunning. 

But holy hell the production is beyond atrocious. The percussion sounds cheap and the instruments don't blend together well. I know it's easy for everyone to dunk on this song but it's just so obvious how rushed it was to make it onto LFL. And this honestly just lends itself to my biggest gripe with LFL not knowing what the hell it wants to be. When I shuffle through Lana's music there will be songs that I skip from time to time. But when I listen to her albums, I listen to them in full because I admire the cohesion of the stories each album is trying to tell. But I will always skip Coachella when listening to LFL :bebe:

7 hours ago, YourGirl666 said:

To me, HM is the best album when it comes to the final cut/song selection. Out of all the songs made before and during the album sessions, she really picked not the best but the ones that both actually worked for the album's concept, were individually great and added something to the narrative/flow/worldbuilding. So every scrap was worth it.

Also, replacing Zodiac with Candy Necklace was the right choice. I love Zodiac but Candy Necklace showed a new side of the album and even if she kept both, Zodiac would've ended up as a filler. 

I can see why you would say Candy Necklace was the right choice but I don’t think there is any world where Zodiac would be filler :scoff:

975879ca71d01ef914728e1d913db9c8ebe35e197a6779948f76453c1c7c3d67249eb70c2144a45946bb601b85b9a0ea979662afb98515387a76cc16

˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

Imo the only songs that should've been on albums are Fine China (but a polished James Ford version with better drums) on UV, TV In Black And White (reworked by Emilie Haynie) on BTD (not replacing any tracks tho), and Come With Me (but polished up a bit) as a deluxe bonus track on HM. Won't say much about the LFL-BB outtakes cause we don't have like any really good leaked ones but, Zodiac polished up a bit lyrically to both be a bit more sensitive and add a second verse should've been on DYKTTATUOB. So other then those exceptions, I would say her judgement was spot on.

25 minutes ago, taco truck said:

I can see why you would say Candy Necklace was the right choice but I don’t think there is any world where Zodiac would be filler :scoff:

To me, A&W, Candy Necklace, Zodiac and the interludes belong to the same chapter/soundscape. The sequence is

1. American Whore/Jimmy

2. Judah Smith Interlude

3. Candy Necklace (and/or Zodiac)

4. Jon Baptiste Interlude

While they're (Zodiac and CN) different enough songs, they still share some similarities, the eerieness, the darkness, the references, they're jazz/classical influenced piano ballads, they do belong together on the same hypothetical record, but the thing with OB is that it's an album that is divided both thematically and sonically almost in a cinematic/theatral way (acts), each chapter has its sound and themes and they effectively work together because every song is there for a reason (even the pop stuff in the end serves their own purpose) and no chapter overstays its welcome. Putting Zodiac and Candy Necklace back to back on the album would sound very repetitive and just wouldn't add that much cause many of the themes in Zodiac are already touched on by other tracks (A&W, JS interlude, Fingertips). So that's why I think replacing Zodiac with Candy Necklace was the right move, even if I love it and would love if Lana found a way to get it officially released (either in a deluxe or standalone or in a new record).

45 minutes ago, cherryblossoms said:

FC/YTH/YG off UV

38 minutes ago, ShadesOfFool said:

Most of the songs she scraps off albums are good choices. 

Fine China is one of the few times I question her judgement, tho, and TV in Black and White for BTD

22 minutes ago, Waimea Bay said:

Your girl

That's all that needs to be said on the the topic

28 minutes ago, Zodiac Dancer said:

I think all her albums are perfect tracklist wise but uv tbh. sad girl, fmwuttt, mpg, and flordia kilos couldve been a whole separate ep:oprah6: Then we couldve had fc, yg, pc, and tos

I have a hard time trying to figure out a way in which those sessions could've resulted in one single masterpiece album. The songs are just that good and they are very diverse. To me, Paradise-Tropico-UV were her creative peak pre-2018. However, the way the songs got released, the albums that ended up being is where the problems is to me. There are so many concepts, looking back at those songs, it feels like the whole thing was a materialized brainstorming. You have Christian inspired baroque pop, Laurel Canyon singer songwriter folk stuff, soft alternative rock, heavier alternative rock, alternative pop, piano ballads... the material is so big and heterogenic that she could've easily made 3-4 different albums with different vibes and sounds and aesthetics at the time. It's just so fascinating. I hope one day we finally get all the demos and outtakes so I can make my own ideal Lana Del Rey albums with the songs.

59 minutes ago, ivory almond said:

the thread is when scrapping songs was the BEST choice babes

I mean don't get me wrong those songs are masterpieces in their own right but I feel like they would've made the album less cohesive and dilute the rock feel that UV has

3 minutes ago, cherryblossoms said:

I mean don't get me wrong those songs are masterpieces in their own right but I feel like they would've made the album less cohesive and dilute the rock feel that UV has

This 100%

7 minutes ago, cherryblossoms said:

I guess we just disagree on their sounds/vibes then because I feel like Your Girl is one of her most rock-inspired songs, especially the KM mix, and Fine China + SYTH could fit perfectly with Old Money + The Other Woman

the earth shattered, the sky opened

tumblr_p594n81oiC1x11ydmo2_400.gif

that rain was fire, but we were wooden