Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

Guest Dot

I like the Ride video but the song does nothing for me. I just can't really get into it. I think it's a great song and definitely one of her best but I rarely ever listen to it.

I like the Ride video but the song does nothing for me. I just can't really get into it. I think it's a great song and definitely one of her best but I rarely ever listen to it.

Same I love the video and the monologue but I just very rarely listen to the actual song nowdays. Its a beautiful song yes and the lyrics are spectacular but I don't feel for the track anymore.

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

Ultraviolence is a huge step backward vocally, from how she sings to how the vocals are processed (do we really need that much reverb on everything?).

I know this is the Unpopular Opinions Thread but :rip:

Backward? Maybe there's too much reverb but Lana's vocals are SO much better on UV. She sings with so much more confidence and her voice really opens up, whereas on BTD she sings very proper to the point where a lot of songs lack emotion vocally (not lyrically though).

14417469274.gif

tumblr_me6qpqg0YB1rogl95o1_500.gif

16m6m9.png

If you want to know my reasoning... Her tone became uneven (Cruel World, Shades of Cool, PWYC), her pitch is shaky (PWYC is the most obvious offender)... and she still hasn't fixed her past mistakes (singing below her comfortable range, forced dark sound that muffles her naturally bright timbre). I don't feel she's become better at expressing her emotions through singing, honestly, and if she has, certainly not enough for me to ignore her new vocal faults. I don't expect perfection from pop singers, but Lana can push my limits in terms of what I find vocally palatable. AKA/BTD/P have their faults, but imo to a more tolerable degree.

Personally, my favorite record in terms of singing technique is Sirens and all the associated stuff. She was singing within her range, she had a bright, clear and consistent sound, a nice vibrato, and I don't think she was lacking emotion. I wish she didn't feel that she had to lower her voice to be taken more seriously; I think it's had a negative effect on her singing.

EDIT: Terrible double post so sorry

16m6m9.png

If you want to know my reasoning... Her tone became uneven (Cruel World, Shades of Cool, PWYC), her pitch is shaky (PWYC is the most obvious offender)... and she still hasn't fixed her past mistakes (singing below her comfortable range, forced dark sound that muffles her naturally bright timbre). I don't feel she's become better at expressing her emotions through singing, honestly, and if she has, certainly not enough for me to ignore her new vocal faults. I don't expect perfection from pop singers, but Lana can push my limits in terms of what I find vocally palatable. AKA/BTD/P have their faults, but imo to a more tolerable degree.

Personally, my favorite record in terms of singing technique is Sirens and all the associated stuff. She was singing within her range, she had a bright, clear and consistent sound, a nice vibrato, and I don't think she was lacking emotion. I wish she didn't feel that she had to lower her voice to be taken more seriously; I think it's had a negative effect on her singing.

EDIT: Terrible double post so sorry

I understand what you are saying but personally I think her voice sounds so much better, more real and more raw on UV than on BTD and Paradise! I think that the problems you have with her vocals has more to do with the production than with her actual vocals! PWYC was improvised on the spot. She wasn't thinking about her vocals at all and personally I think that's what makes the song so great! It's emotional and raw! But I agree that her voice on Sirens was amazing!

I AM MY ONLY GOD

People need to understand this is the Unpopular Lana Opinions thread so replies such as Judging you or OMG You're so wrong are completely unnecesary... :stop:

Or to put it another way, if you get a lot of heat for a post, it means you're doing the thread right.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

People need to understand this is the Unpopular Lana Opinions thread so replies such as Judging you or OMG You're so wrong are completely unnecesary... :stop:

tumblr_me6qpqg0YB1rogl95o1_500.gif

This gif is too flawless not to use... :die:

I AM MY ONLY GOD

Guest Dot

Well...let me say that the people in this thread are actually way more tolerant towards unpopular opinions than the people on the Madonna forum I'm a member of. I opened an unpopular opinions thread there and it got locked two days after I openend it becuase some of the old cunts in there couldn't deal with unpopular opinions of other (mostly younger) members and had to put up a fight and called them blasphemists. :awk:

What happened was that they banned or "flushed" as they like to call it, everyone who said something they would consider unacceptable as a Madonna fan. They also banned me although I haven't even said anything too extreme but instead because I opened a thread like that and told the senior members to be more accepting of unpopular opinions or just ignore them. :thumb:

Well...let me say that the people in this thread are actually way more tolerant towards unpopular opinions than the people on the Madonna forum I'm a member of. I opened an unpopular opinions thread there and it got locked two days after I openend it becuase some of the old cunts in there couldn't deal with unpopular opinions of other (mostly younger) members and had to put up a fight and called them blasphemists. :awk:

What happened was that they banned or "flushed" as they like to call it, everyone who said something they would consider unacceptable as a Madonna fan. They also banned me although I haven't even said anything too extreme but instead because I opened a thread like that and told the senior members to be more accepting of unpopular opinions or just ignore them. :thumb:

Thank God we've not come that far here yet

ZmJh1LG.jpg