PennCentralFan

Lana living in the UK thoughts?

I've always thought what makes Lana's music appealing especially to Europeans is her Americaness. 

She is an America and I wonder if she'll lose her edge living in the UK. I mean the day of their empire is long gone and as a cultural force the UK is through and they only think they are important in world affairs because the US lets them think they are.

Madonna went through a creative wasteland with her time spent in the UK. I'm glad though that Lana recorded and wrote her album in the US.

I don't get living in the UK though, there's no creative energy in a place where an empire dies and they get their ideas in music from the US anyways but as a devoted fan I want what's best for her and if she's happy in the UK then so be it. 

She's more popular in the UK and Europe so I don't blame her but until you make it big in America you haven't really made it.

Umm, where to start... this post is wrong from every side. I feel like you don't really know what you're talking about. Actually I'm sure, you have no idea of what you're talking about. Maybe you just had a class on the British empire and then only understood half of what your teacher said. Maybe you just had a conversation with an ignorant who played smart, anyway for your sake I hope you're young and wrote that from an impulse (you're doomed otherwise).

Please stop being so self centered, open your mind and look out of your window - there are other places in this world were people live happy and can be creative, you've never been there, you don't live there so don't be judgmental. 

As for Lana, while doing her first interviews as LDR, I expected her to be all american because of her videos and her influences - she pleasantly surprised me when she said she felt like a citizen of the world rather than just american. She spent lots of time in the UK while working on BtD. NYC, Los Angeles, Paris, St Tropez, Monaco, London.. all these places inspired her at one point. Lana is more of an emotional person than a rational one so she'll probably go where she feels inspired, happy and loved and that place might be London.

up45I.gif

I don't agree with op at all lol but yeah I think it's somewhat strange that someone who almost openly says they don't like America constantly writes about it. I find that strange a teeny bit. That is all. 

Also one person doesn't represent America. Please don't think all Americans feel or think that way oh godddd :defeated:

ER1eLiL.jpg?1

lmao someone's jealous about Lana touring Britain and not the US  :awk:

I've never been to America therefore have no opinion on it, but Britain is fabulous

tumblr_moza5y59Ri1r09ldbo1_400.png ~ataraxia~

lmao someone's jealous about Lana touring Britain and not the US  :awk:I've never been to America therefore have no opinion on it, but Britain is fabulous

I know I am pretty jelly! Wish I could see her!:)

ER1eLiL.jpg?1

Also one person doesn't represent America. Please don't think all Americans feel or think that way oh godddd :defeated:

Don't worry, I don't think the majority of us here generalize :) We completely understand that it's the (incorrect and ignorant) view of one person, not all Americans :)

tumblr_mjifpjZBSu1rr0bkio2_500.png

Thanks for your thoughtful responses. I didn't mean to really anger anyone, especially you British since after Canada you are the best friends of the US.

I just wished she lived in the US and I think that her fan base in the US is much bigger than people realize and I hope she hasn't given up on her home country. I guess I shouldn't take her moving to the UK as some statement about her American fan base and she'll always have connections to the US. 

It's that moving to the UK from the US is pretty rare and the history of the US is that people leave other places for greater opportunity in America. Given that people have left the Old World for new opportunities in the US and people continue to see the US as a place of opportunity it just seems different that one would leave the US for the UK for opportunity.

We don't have a monarchy and we don't have nobility in the US and there's more opportunity to get ahead in the US despite our problems. 

Thanks for explaining, PCF. Your previous history on LanaBoards has shown that you are a generally nice person, and I suspected you weren't trying to offend anyone.

The world is changing (like it always has), and globalization is creating new opportunities for many people. I for one am glad for the chance to make friendships with different people all over the world! :grouphug:

Hoping we can put this thread behind us and have all of us be friends again.

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

:usrsney: London is one of the biggest financial capitals of the world - where do you get your presumptions from that people don't get big opportunities here? I think Lana's popularity and selling figures here say the total opposite of what you're saying, tbh.

Your last sentance - that may be true for people who fit the cookie cutter mould (Katy Perry, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, etc) but I think people here are given more chances if they're a little odd and different in their style. The music charts in the USA are astounding beige and samey and perhaps don't like injecting diversity into them because people like the set up. So therefore, that's not always true that everyone is given the same chance to succeed.

It looked as though, to me, some people in the US (not everyone, but a lot of critics and the like) had it in for Lana from the outset so how is it true that she was given much of an opportunity there?

Sweeping scents and blue hydrangea. Summer hail and summer stranger.

We don't have a monarchy and we don't have nobility in the US and there's more opportunity to get ahead in the US despite our problems. 

I was preparing to shit on this statement (because the perpetuation of ~The Land of Opportunity~ and ~The American Dream~ irk me to no end) until I learned that the only western country that has worse socio-economic mobility than the US is.... well, the UK. :biblio:

But both of you guys are doing really shitty, so don't take being second worst as some sort of achievement.  :wtf: 

Nordic Countries + Canada >>>>>>>>>>>>> UK + US :whitney: 

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…

But both of you guys are doing really shitty, so don't take being second worst as some sort of achievement.  :wtf:

Who is doing that? :wtf:

Sweeping scents and blue hydrangea. Summer hail and summer stranger.

Thanks for your thoughtful responses. I didn't mean to really anger anyone, especially you British since after Canada you are the best friends of the US.

I just wished she lived in the US and I think that her fan base in the US is much bigger than people realize and I hope she hasn't given up on her home country. I guess I shouldn't take her moving to the UK as some statement about her American fan base and she'll always have connections to the US. 

It's that moving to the UK from the US is pretty rare and the history of the US is that people leave other places for greater opportunity in America. Given that people have left the Old World for new opportunities in the US and people continue to see the US as a place of opportunity it just seems different that one would leave the US for the UK for opportunity.

Idiocracy is very democratic. Doesn't choose a race, a social status, a religion or a nationality. Most times idiocracy is also choice.

glgcDdT.gif

Don't worry, I don't think the majority of us here generalize :) We completely understand that it's the (incorrect and ignorant) view of one person, not all Americans :)

thank you for calming me nerves! haha :3 America has a pretty bad rep, but its not all that bad  :). I've only been to England once once when I was younger and I've stopped at Heathrow a few times. It is very lovely. I love the keys for the doors lol they're all very interesting

ER1eLiL.jpg?1

I don't agree with op at all lol but yeah I think it's somewhat strange that someone who almost openly says they don't like America constantly writes about it. I find that strange a teeny bit. That is all. 

tumblr_lrjhiofp841r3opg1o1_250.gif

tumblr_lrjhiofp841r3opg1o1_250.gif

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! she's said it in a few interviews, just a few little things that have gave the impression she doesn't like it here at all  :(  I'll try and find some now, I'm sure someone else better at these things can help more,  but I'll try 

from a German interview link: http://lanaboards.com/index.php?/topic/1491-interview-kulturspiegel-122012-german/

Do you underestimate yourself?

Why should I? Just because some American journalists can not stand me? My album is a multi-million-seller. I've even won several awards. Only in my own country, the United States, the inspiration of all my songs, you know, unfortunately, not to deal with me. That's why I'm there and moved away and now live in London.

f

from an interview in norway (quoted from this thread on the forum) link : http://lanaboards.com/index.php?/topic/1388-lana-del-rey-taking-dip-tobacco-from-a-reporter-june-28-2012/

The interview doesn't talk about anything new, other than her fondess of Europe and the audience: "They seemed supportive after all the critics. It gave me hope. People are different here and in Australia. In USA people are..."

"What?"

"No, I won't tell."

////////////////////////////////////////////////

Ok so you see? just little things like this and no, its not a big deal and yes I am a really sensitive cry baby lol 

ER1eLiL.jpg?1

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! she's said it in a few interviews, just a few little things that have gave the impression she doesn't like it here at all  :(  I'll try and find some now, I'm sure someone else better at these things can help more,  but I'll try 

from a German interview link: http://lanaboards.com/index.php?/topic/1491-interview-kulturspiegel-122012-german/

Do you underestimate yourself?

Why should I? Just because some American journalists can not stand me? My album is a multi-million-seller. I've even won several awards. Only in my own country, the United States, the inspiration of all my songs, you know, unfortunately, not to deal with me. That's why I'm there and moved away and now live in London.

f

from an interview in norway (quoted from this thread on the forum) link : http://lanaboards.com/index.php?/topic/1388-lana-del-rey-taking-dip-tobacco-from-a-reporter-june-28-2012/

The interview doesn't talk about anything new, other than her fondess of Europe and the audience: "They seemed supportive after all the critics. It gave me hope. People are different here and in Australia. In USA people are..."

"What?"

"No, I won't tell."

////////////////////////////////////////////////

Ok so you see? just little things like this and no, its not a big deal and yes I am a really sensitive cry baby lol 

Nope!! You are not a cry baby . Lana on the other hand is a huge cry baby LOL...but I love her anyway :godlaugh:

Also people seem to forget:

If you think I didn't plan this to happen

I believe in the country America used to be ;)

Listen to Ride and see there is a couple answers there me thinks. :hdu:

glgcDdT.gif

the old world, lmao

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

Compare England with USA is quite unfair to the UK tbh.  England, and the UK in general, can not be compared socially, culturally, educationally, economically and their health care with US. They are millions of miles more advanced in those and several other aspects. Also better musicians by far.

London and the UK in general is a huge positive  influence in music all over the world. Always was and hopefully will always be.

That doesn't make US a vilan or a bad place but like any new country the road to wiser days is a long one.  US is cool with quite nice humans living there and to be honest a very shitty government. Nice place tho.

I am a proud Brazilian who fucking stans :gclap: for the UK and specially England. Lived in London for a while. Love London everything about it the good and the bad. Go back to spend some time everytime I can. Hate the weather tho. Is havens bathroom situated above London??All that rain can not be normal guy's. 

England rules!!! :woot:

But let's face it people the best country in the world is Brazil!! The most beautiful city is Rio de Janeiro tropical paradise, city of wonders. I live were people spend vacationssssss :godlaugh:  I don't know what Lizzy would do or think but Lana will fulfill her tropical paradise dreams the day she lands her 2 feets in Rio's airport.

glgcDdT.gif