LDRO

"Young & Beautiful" - Lead single from The Great Gatsby Soundtrack, OUT NOW!

idk why people think auto-tune then jump to instantly bad. I don't think it's a bad thing at all. Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy heavily uses auto-tune all the way through and it's creates what's really quite a beautiful, eerie sound (see: Runaway).

There is a night and day difference between Auto-Tune and similar programs being used as effect (Kanye West) and as pitch correction (Y&B). They're not really comparable situations. In the case of the former, the listener is supposed to hear it because the software is purposely being misused to clearly alter the singer's voice, whereas when it's used to correct pitch, it is intended to be transparent, unnoticeable--though, of course, there are those situations where it slips through and it can be heard. 

In theory, i am not against the use of it. It is, after all, just another studio tool. I don't have a problem with "cheating" in the studio. There are plenty of tricks that have been used since the advent of recorded music to get a better sound or performance. It's just that, in practice, i think it sounds bad. Something happens to the voice when you run it through the software and drive it too hard. It has the tendency to strip away a lot of the nuance, the heart and soul of a vocal and make it sound sterile (even when that's not the intention). That's my problem with it when it's used not as an effect.

And the thing is, i believe that even if the listener doesn't have the ear, experience, knowledge, terminology, etc. to detect details like this and determine and describe what exactly is going on with the vocal, that at a very fundamental level, most people can still feel that something is "off" without knowing what to attribute it to.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

WHO SAID THIS?? SOME TWEET? :(

Yes, where did this info come from?

I woke up with anticipation to watch ANOTHER new Lana music video, but was still delighted to hear 2 different versions of a new (and gorgeous) song.

So was that tidbit fake. There was never a video to begin with?

wtf, gettin my hopes up...

Yes, where did this info come from?

I woke up with anticipation to watch ANOTHER new Lana music video, but was still delighted to hear 2 different versions of a new (and gorgeous) song.

So was that tidbit fake. There was never a video to begin with?

wtf, gettin my hopes up...

i know i was waiting the video and now im like, where did we get that info x.x

There is a night and day difference between Auto-Tune and similar programs being used as effect (Kanye West) and as pitch correction (Y&B). They're not really comparable situations. In the case of the former, the listener is supposed to hear it because the software is purposely being misused to clearly alter the singer's voice

I agree with this and everything else you wrote in that post, but since you've often been quite negative about the use of Auto-Tune in the past without noting this distinction, I'm curious... are there any examples of it being used as an effect that you like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EWruiIjBmo

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

And the thing is, i believe that even if the listener doesn't have the ear, experience, knowledge, terminology, etc. to detect details like this and determine and describe what exactly is going on with the vocal, that at a very fundamental level, most people can still feel that something is "off" without knowing what to attribute it to.

this might be a stupid or flat out impossible request, but can you write some kind of like, lay tutorial on how to properly listen to music? i think its kind of hard for me to focus with my ears, so i end up hearing everything from a more... holistic perspective, without any understanding (or distinction) of the parts that ultimately complete the whole. i think my eyes have all the fine perceptual tuning that my ears seem to lack 

ZRBNill.jpg

The chances of this video being something other than Lana standing around while shots of the movie play in the background are fairly low, i'm really not all that excited for it, like most songs for films the video will be a nothing 4 minutes of glamour shots.

I know but even this kind of video would be good for promo   :crossed:  Why to release a single in the US with no video ?  :deadbanana:

I liked orchestral version until I heard that AWFUL end. It's mixed like, "Oh I need to poop, so I'm going to finish it asap and go to poop"

Just fucking fast fade out. AND THAT RUINED WHOLE SONG!  :deadbanana:

I CAN'T...CHANGE THAT END AND ADD THE LOON 

LANA PLS.

tumblr_p0v8ex4Llk1raxa8qo1_540.jpg

Young and Beautiful

#1 Slovenia

#3 Singapore

#4 Czech Republic

#8 Malaysia

#11 Poland

#15 Sweden

#16 Hong Kong