Wryta Thinkpiece

First Aid Kit

This is a sister duo from Sweden. I actually used to talk to Johanna every now and again back in '09 on YouTube before she and Klara hit big; she did covers of Asian pop songs under the name MoA (which was who I knew her as,) but never told any of the subscribers her real name, where she lived, or any of her music history. She frequently deleted and made accounts on YouTube for her covers, but after she deleted "moamelody," she didn't make another account. Stories of why she deleted her account and pretty much all traces of her covers are mixed. One said that when she entered a 2NE1 contest, someone found out who she was and that she was signed to a label, got her disqualified, and that the news spread like wildfire from there. Another story was similar, saying that she got in trouble for using her label's instruments for the covers she made without the rights to do so.

The MP3s of her covers are a hit and miss with searches; there used to be a MediaFire account with a huge folder of them, but it got deleted, though some of them are still floating around. She did one of Ami Suzuki's "ONE," which I might still have on one of my Zunes. But I digress, she has a successful career with First Aid Kit, and a very beautiful voice, as does Klara.

This is one of their songs from their new album, The Lion's Roar, Johanna sings at 2:34:

And a few personal favorites...

I've only hear The Lion's Roar but I was very impressed by it, particularly the vocal harmonising  :flutter:  Is The Big Black & The Blue worth a listen?

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

I've only hear The Lion's Roar but I was very impressed by it, particularly the vocal harmonising  :flutter:  Is The Big Black & The Blue worth a listen?

Right? Their harmonies are practically flawless.

I do love The Big Black and The Blue, "Hard Believer" and "I Met Up With The King" are from that album; it's a very mellow album, very true to its folk roots, it took me a while to listen to the whole album, but it was worth it, especially the second time listening through it. "Pervigilo" is from Drunken Trees EP, "Tangerines" and "Cross Oceans" are others great song from that EP, and "Little Moon," too.

Definitely worth a listen if you're into mellow sounds. :)

Right? Their harmonies are practically flawless.

I do love The Big Black and The Blue, "Hard Believer" and "I Met Up With The King" are from that album; it's a very mellow album, very true to its folk roots, it took me a while to listen to the whole album, but it was worth it, especially the second time listening through it. "Pervigilo" is from Drunken Trees EP, "Tangerines" and "Cross Oceans" are others great song from that EP, and "Little Moon," too.

Definitely worth a listen if you're into mellow sounds. :)

nice description. I can definitely feel something a little mellow so I'll have a listen. thank you :kiss:

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

OMG I just googled MoA... That is the most fucking random thing ever. I'm so glad that it stopped

It was a bit sad just because she always said how she wanted to be a pop singer, but her family wasn't too approving of the music or the style (take the latter with a grain of salt, as I vaguely remember how she put it.) But it limited her potential so much, and she was too good for that, and especially too good for a lot of the YouTubers she sang with and the YouTubers that were so mean to her, some of them being people she did covers with.

But we all know who's going on tours and singing with Conor Oberst and who's fighting back tears from someone calling them a "weeaboo" while wailing Japanese into their Blue Yeti microphone for YouTube.

First Aid Kit > MoA days, all the way.

I tried to get on top of all their music before but I found it really hard. there is a lot about them before they made their first album

Do you have the HQ mp3 of tiger mountain peasant song that they mentioned here?

http://web.archive.org/liveweb/http://www.myspace.com/thisisfirstaidkit/blog/430918620

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

I tried to get on top of all their music before but I found it really hard. there is a lot about them before they made their first album

Do you have the HQ mp3 of tiger mountain peasant song that they mentioned here?

http://web.archive.org/liveweb/http://www.myspace.com/thisisfirstaidkit/blog/430918620

I also found this old interview which is quite insightful 

http://thebayareanative.com/2010/07/22/catching-up-with-first-aid-kit/

Yeah, I've tried to look for stuff beyond their Drunken Trees EP, but apparently there's not much to be found! I was a bit disappointed. But between '08 - '12, I have the two albums, the EP, and their Universal Soldier single from 2011 that was released on vinyl.

And yes, I do! At least, I'm certain I do; it sounds the same as the one from the UK release of Drunken Trees, and it's so much cleaner than the YouTube version. Let me know if you're interested in taking a listen! :)

I remember I used to listen to their cover of Tiger Mountain Peasant Song all the time on the recommendation of a friend, I never really followed up when they started releasing albums, though.

I remember I used to listen to their cover of Tiger Mountain Peasant Song all the time on the recommendation of a friend, I never really followed up when they started releasing albums, though.

They have so many good songs. They really know how to take you to that good place. There's always this vibrancy with their music, sometimes it's sad, but at the same time, it's such a pleasant experience listening to the songs. They're just such bright and eloquent musicians. :flutter:

First Aid Kit are amazing, I have their 2 albums.

My fav song is 'Blue'.

I bought the Limited Special Edition in Belgium last year that includes a CD / DVD, a guitar pic and a poster. The other CDs are from Belgium, too.

wp-11.jpg