Sitar

Official 'Maleficent' Trailer Featuring "Once Upon a Dream" Released

On the first listen, I was kind of bored tbh. Hearing it the trailer though, whoa...got chills. It fits perfectly and goes very well with the movie.

She has perfect voice for this song. Love how dark it sounds (reminds me of what they did with the Happy Together cover from Gatsby)

After listening a few times, I have to say I really like this song. Sounds spooky and haunting but I like that.

And I love Lana's voice in this song. She's really good at this!

listened to the song like 30 times and I cant stop  :defeated: It's so beautiful and surreal, i'm so slayed  :defeated:  :defeated:

i hope we get at least 5 versions of this. I already need those piano notes at the beginning of the trailer in the actual song, so gorgeous  :defeated:

let the light in, it's a cruel world

Anyone find this to be unlistenable? I'm in no way bashing Lana, I think it's a great cover and she sounds amazing. But the mixing is fucking ATROCIOUS! :(

Oh, and why do we have 2 threads about the song? Could we please merge them into one? Thank you.

Lana Del Rey Makes 'Maleficent' Look Better

Disney's Maleficent looked like a take it or leave it affair, that is, until Lana Del Rey came along. Last night during the Grammys, the studio premiered a new trailer for the film featuring Lana Del Rey's rendition of "Once Upon a Dream," the normally cheery song from Disney's 1959 Sleeping Beauty. If you recall, the song from that film was a sunny little ditty sung by Aurora and her prince-to-be. It's the traditional first-act conditional love song, a song sung by lovers before the actually know each other well enough to sing a love song.

In the hands of Del Rey the song becomes completely creepy, and lends gravitas to a movie that otherwise looked like a very silly outing with a ton of overblown CGI, not unlike Disney's Alice in Wonderland. That's not to say that Maleficent could still be a very silly outing, but the song gets the tone we'd like to see from the film completely right. It's dark and a little campy, exactly what we'd hope from a film that involves Angelina Jolie vamping in prosthetic cheekbones.

Funnily enough, Del Rey also provided a song that served this purpose for The Great Gatsby. Say what you will about "Young and Beautiful," but it was great for Gatsby in that it was modern enough to be in tune with Baz Luhrmann's vision for the film but serious enough as a love scene to not seem as out of place as the contributions of say Fergie or Jay-Z to the soundtrack. 
Maleficent could still be terrible—there were some late in the game rewrites and reshoots—but Lana gives us hope.

''Forget the movie for a minute though. We're digging Lana del Rey's take on the classic tune "Once Upon A Dream" more.''

''As for the clip, the highlight is of course Lana Del Ray’s moody and low-key cover of the theme song from Sleeping Beauty.''

''So the debut of this “alternate” cover of “Once Upon A Dream” might not be radio friendly in the traditional sense, but it somewhat fits a pattern and makes for a terrific bit of music for this otherwise unremarkable trailer. It’s easily the best thing in the 90-second clip.''

Whichever Disney executive gave the thumbs up to Lana Del Rey doing a cover of "Once Upon A Dream" really hit the nail on the head, as evidenced by the Maleficent trailer that just aired during the Grammys. Del Rey's version is simultaneously droning, ethereal, and unsettling. It's more than enough to distract you from those questionable -ooking CGI tree people.