lflflflflflflflflflf

Ultraviolence - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?  

1,051 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?

• Cruel World
    • Ultraviolence
    • Shades Of Cool
    • Brooklyn Baby
    • West Coast
    • Sad Girl
    • Pretty When You Cry
    • Money Power Glory
    • Fucked My Way Up To The Top
    • Old Money
    • The Other Woman
    • Black Beauty
    • Guns and Roses
    • Florida Kilos
    • Is This Happiness
    • Flipside

My list:

Florida Kilos

Brooklyn Baby

Sad Girl

Money Power Glory

Old Money

Cruel World

Fucked My Way Up To The Top

Pretty When You Cry
Shades of Cool

Ultraviolence 

Black Beauty

Flipside
West Coast

Is This Happiness

Guns And Roses

The Other Woman

Ultraviolence

Cruel World

West Coast

Brooklyn Baby

Shades of Cool

Sad Girl

Money Power Glory

Fucked My Way Up to the Top

Old Money

Pretty When You Cry

The Other Woman

Haven't listened to the bonus tracks enough to rank them.

The @ feature is free hunty.

no but it was joke, relax

I'm sorry if it sounded too harsh, it really wasn't my intention. I just wanted to post my ranking and when I saw that comment I kind of felt a bit uncomfortable. But that's all. :$

My thing.

Stars goes from 1-5.

Cruel Worl

This one of my favorites. I love her vocals and the way she is almost screaming at some parts. I also love the lines "Got you bible and your gun, and you like to party and have fun... Get a little bit of bourbon in ya.... And go crazy". Amazing song and amazing album opener. *****

Ultraviolence

I really do like the song. I like the production with the piano and the strings and I like som of the lyrics and the speaking part is awesome. However I feel like she had a chance to tell a really great story through the lyrics but she didn't really succeed like she did with Cruel World. ***

Shades Of Cool

The guitar solo is the best part of the song. It's unbelievably amazing! I do like the line "when he calls, he calls for me and not for you" but I think that the lyrics in this song are some of the weakest on the album. Thematically it's the same as "Sad Girl" and "Pretty When You Cry" but I feel like those songs told the story from a way more interesting perspective. But I think the amazing production makes up for the bad lyrics... ***

Brooklyn Baby

This is one of my favorites too. The lyrics are very strong and the production is amazing! The male vocals in the end is one of the best moment on the whole album. My favorite lines are "They judge me like a picture book, by the colors like they forgot to read" and "My boyfriends in a band/ he plays guitar while I sing Lou Reed/ I got feathers in my hair/ I get high on hydroponic weed/ my jazz collections rad/ I get down to beat poetry/ I'm a Brooklyn baby"! Such a good and happy song!!!! *****

West Coast

I love this song too and I fell in live with it the first time I heard it. I love the way it's slows down in the chorus. My favorite line "I can see my baby swinging/ his parliaments on fire and his hands are up/ on the balcony and I'm singing/ ooh baby ooh baby I'm in love". I love the picture it paints and it's one of the only up-tempo songs (West Coast, Brooklyn Baby and Florida Kilos) and is has a good summery vibe. The only bad thing is the mixing which is, in my opinion, horrible....Especially in the chorus. ****

Sad Girl

This is also one of my favorites. I love how jazzy it is and the her vocals are amazing! The chorus is a bit repetitive but I don't mind because the production and the vocals are so awesome. *****

Pretty When You Cry

This song is so heartbreaking and sad. It almost makes me cry every time I listen to it. "I wait for you, babe/ that's all I do, babe/ don't come through, babe/ you never do/ cause I'm pretty when I cry". The guitar in the end and her high notes are so good too. ****

Money Power Glory

This is my favorite song on the album and probably my favorite song ever. I love the guitar in the bridge and her high notes in the chorus are so good. The lyrics are also amazing!!!!! "Freedom comes from the call but/ that's not what this bitch wants/ not what I want at all/ I want money power and glory/ hallelujah/ I'm gonna take them for all that they got".*****

Fucked My Way Up To The Tup

Amazing vocals again. However I think that the song lacks lyrics and it's way too short. I don't care who it's about because in the end it's the music that counts and nothing else. The "lay me down tonight" part is very beautiful. ***

Old Money

This song is so beautiful. I like the lyrics all the way through and the production is amazing. I have really missed the strings so I'm glad that they are not totally gone. *****

The Other Women

In my opinion this song is way too overproduced and a little boring. The vocals are amazing and I do like it but it is definitely one of my least favorites. **

Black Beauty

It's a lyrically masterpiece and I love how it's different from the leaked version. It's so beautiful and I don't get why it's not on the standard". ****

Guns and Roses

This is the worst song lyrically. The production is, however, amazing and I love the heavy drums. I just can't stand the repetitive chorus.**

Florida Kilos

I love the beach/ summer feeling this song has and the lyrics are awesome. Her vocals are kinda weird but is till really like it. ***

Is This Happiness

This song is so beautiful, sonically and lyrically. My favorite part is the when she sings "you're fucking crazy as the day is long" the way her voice goes from high to low is amazing! The chorus is kinda repetitive but it doesn't matter because her vocals are so amazing. I love the mix of strings and piano.*****

Flipside

This is probably my least favorite song. I kinda like the lyrics and the production is good aswell it just feels like the melody doesn't go anywhere.... **

Overall:

This album is my favorite album ever! It's way better than BTD both sonically and lyrically. I'm totally in love with it.

Ranking

Money Power Glory

Brooklyn Baby

Cruel World

Sad Girl

Old Money

Is This Happiness

Pretty When You Cry

West Coast

Black Beauty

Shades Of Cool

Ultraviolence

Fucked My Way Up To The Tup

Florida Kilos

Guns and Roses

The Other Woman

Flipside

I AM MY ONLY GOD

I'm sorry if it sounded too harsh, it really wasn't my intention. I just wanted to post my ranking and when I saw that comment I kind of felt a bit uncomfortable. But that's all. :$

You're fine!

I actually found it REALLY hilarious that you said something, because it's like my first day back on the forum in months, and I already managed to piss someone off again lmao. I kind of have a reputation here for getting into arguments with people so I was just like, "oh god, here we go again. :lmao: " but it's all good. :P

Shame on all of you though for paying Is This Happiness dust. How can such a beautiful ballad be so unloved.  :rollin:

14417469274.gif

Shame on all of you though for paying Is This Happiness dust. How can such a beautiful ballad be so unloved.  :rollin:

That song is awesome but it has the most weird instrumental ever, all those random noises in it.

I actually changed the album setlist and put it after Old Money, because it simply sounds better that way. WTF is the Other Woman doing after Old Money anyway, it makes no sense to me. (does someone see it?)

That song is awesome but it has the most weird instrumental ever, all those random noises in it.

I actually changed the album setlist and put it after Old Money, because it simply sounds better that way. WTF is the Other Woman doing after Old Money anyway, it makes no sense to me. (does someone see it?)

Okay I'll give you that... during the second verse, when she says the Hunter S. Thompson part, I thought my mom was fucking vacuuming the house about 4 different times before I realized it was a noise from the song... BUT oh well, it's fuckin cool and unique. :B Idk. I love the horn noise in the chorus along with the applause. It's a really strange and beautiful song to me. 

Lana said somewhere that the standard edition is like, the narrative she wanted to tell for the album's story or something. So The Other Woman makes sense after Old Money to her, I guess. I like how Old Money ends quietly and then there's the SMACK! noise that starts off The Other Woman. It's cool. 

14417469274.gif

I think TOW is put after OM since both are songs about a woman wanting the affection and love of someone who is ultimately not available and/or interested her. That's all I get that can link them together.

party.gif?w=1100

I think TOW is put after OM since both are songs about a woman wanting the affection and love of someone who is ultimately not available and/or interested her. That's all I get that can link them together.

That's interesting!

It could be.

I know that Lana has put thought in the tracklist, sonically, but then maybe there is also something about the songs.

Also, does someone know why Old Money is called Old Money?

It's not in the song (like Kill Kill - The Ocean) and the song does not even really reference money like NA did for example.

So I'm like....what?

That's interesting!

It could be.

I know that Lana has put thought in the tracklist, sonically, but then maybe there is also something about the songs.

It's not in the song (like Kill Kill - The Ocean) and the song does not even really reference money like NA did for example.

So I'm like....what?

Down on the West Egg they got a sayin' http://thegreatjaygatsby.blogspot.com/2010/06/old-money-v-new-money.html

The Great Gatsby portrays three different social classes: "old money" (Tom and Daisy Buchanan); "new money" (Gatsby); and a class that might be called "no money" (George and Myrtle Wilson). "Old money" families have fortunes dating from the 19th century or before, have built up powerful and influential social connections, and tend to hide their wealth and superiority behind a veneer of civility. The "new money" class made their fortunes in the 1920s boom and therefore have no social connections and tend to overcompensate for this lack with lavish displays of wealth.

Definitely sounds like it was written for the film

Florida Kilos
Cruel World
Shades of Cool
Brooklyn Baby
Sad Girl
Black Beauty
Money Power Glory
Pretty When You Cry
****ed My Way Up To The Top
West Coast
Old Money
Ultraviolence
Flipside
Is This Happiness 
Guns And Roses

I'm still not sure though. :( lol

Down on the West Egg they got a sayin' http://thegreatjaygatsby.blogspot.com/2010/06/old-money-v-new-money.html

Definitely sounds like it was written for the film

Thanks for the explanation! :kiss:

Okay, so old money: A person who comes from a Rich Family

The first 2 verses talk about how she lost her sugar daddy/rich boyfriend

The chorus (if you send for me, you know I'll come, I'll run to you, I'll run to you) is about how she would return to her rich lover in a moment if he wanted him back.

In the 3rd and 4th verses she reminisces about her roots/younger days, how she became what she is today, and at the end she recalls her happy days with her past lover, aka her theme of honoring lost love.

This is so cool, I feel like I understand the song so much more now :smile2:

That's interesting!

It could be.

So I'm like....what?

"Cold cash devine"

I AM MY ONLY GOD