Sitar

Lana Del Rey Defends Herself Against 'The Guardian' Controversy

Interesting to see both sides. I think her response largely stems from the reaction the article received.

She was pretty civil apart from calling the journalist boring. It's not a big deal tbh.

Alexis Petridis is the head of the music section. Its under his competetion and Im sure he was the first who contacted Lana. Naming the article "I wish I was dead"+ waiting such a long time to publish it during the release is definitely SINISTER:

twitter.com/timjonze he's the actual person who interviewed her (alexis did the album review i think)

he's saying shes lying and is making this up 

This is interesting. At first I was just glad she was defending herself, cause it really did sound like the interviewer had screwed her over according to what she told "Dagbladet" in Norway.

But if it's some kind of backpedalling because she realized her words had consequences then  :facepalm:

Probably some kind of misunderstanding though. 

I believe more in the journalist than Lana #sorrynotsorry

I love her but she confirmed she said those things to him but he should have "read between the lines" before writing that article. This is a lame excuse for me. 

I think she's lying... I think she didn't realize the impact that statement would have and how certain people would interpret it. Can you imagine the mother of a 15 yo girl who read the letter her daughter wrote before committing suicide? Something like "what's the point of living, if Lana can't be happy, how could I?" and posting this on social media. That would create a mess.

I believe in freedom of speech, but people have to know the consequences and be able to live with it...

If she really said that, the paper is not better for publishing it.

If it was manipulated out of context, I would like to know what Lana mean exactly with "I wish I was dead already" and 

"I do! I don't want to have to keep doing this. But I am."

Do what? Make music?

"Everything. That's just how I feel. If it wasn't that way, then I wouldn't say it. I would be scared if I knew [death] was coming, but …"

She doesn't clearly mention being suicidal, but most people interpreted it that way.

She doesn't clearly mention being suicidal, but most people interpreted it that way.

I think that's a large part of the problem here. Lana didn't explicitly state she was feeling suicidal, yet the Guardian journalist didn't refrain from implying this. The journalist clearly made it seem that Lana felt suicidal from the title of 'I wish I was dead already' - which, really, suggests right from the start that Lana feels suicidal. He implied a view that Lana didn't make completely clear, which is completely unfair.

OAjeWdG.jpg?1