Sitar

Lana Del Rey Defends Herself Against 'The Guardian' Controversy

She has every right to be pissed at Alexis Petridis, Tim Jonze, whoever wrote the headline, and anyone else involved in taking a legitimate interview and spinning it to sensationalist effect.

Jonze should just say "I didn't mean the question to be leading; I was uncomfortable asking it" and leave it at that. But that wouldn't be "interesting" enough. Instead he has to resort to disingenuous excuses like well, um, she didn't specifically SAY we took her words "out of context" specifically... Really, Tim Jonze?

:facepalm:

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

I can't really tell who is wrong here... I mean, she did say it. Making it a headline probably wasn't the best idea though.

karma drawn up in lines / baby it's a freebie you sure look deprived

The thing that worries me is that it was so blown out of proportion that it could even drive her to stop her carer. I mean how much over exaggeration and back lash from the media can one girl take. She just said that it was their personalties and their music, not the fact they died young for god sake. He knew what he was doing and wanted that sort of answer probably. Also, she's obviously sick of giving interviews for them then to be twisted and I could see that be the reason as to why she actually said I wish I was dead so I don't have to do this. People forget that Lana is still shy person (obviously not as much as at the start) and  may have even been a bit worried as she said it - that's could explain the nervous laugh and the sort of vagueness of it all. Plus we don't even know what else had been said before hand and the way he was going on about death and really trying to get her to say that she idolise death so she could have being sarcastic. I'm actually so annoyed because the guardian is meant to be a reputable newspaper in this country but that journalist went too far. 

I think it's that ongoing nervousness in the face of mega-stardom is what endears her so much to people. She doesn't seem to have the stinking air of superiority about her like a Kanye.

The way she said 'I want to die already' didn't seem very serious to me...it seemed like when something embarrassing happens and you're like 'ugh kill me now'. She doesn't seem very sincere about it, it just seems an off-the-cuff kinda thing.

Plus, the interviewer was clearly pushing Lana into saying something like that. He asks her twice 'do you think dying young is glamorous', even acknowledging the fact that it's a dark question to ask. This is the thing I fucking hate about journalists - they constantly push Lana on controversial topics because they know it'll generate a response (usually negative). The repeated questions of 'are you a feminist????' and similar topics are just boring now.

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

Apparently Tim released the audio??? I'm at work so I can't check but Rolling Stone just posted something on their Facebook about the audio being released from the interview!!

I think it's that ongoing nervousness in the face of mega-stardom is what endears her so much to people. She doesn't seem to have the stinking air of superiority about her like a Kanye.

Exactly - I like that she is slightly nervous because to be quite honest it makes her seem like a normal person who has a passion for music - not the fame. It's all about art and music with Lana - she doesn't want the attention which is totally understandable. She clearly just wants to do what she loves. But these journalists just play on her insecurities and keep pushing in hope to get something out of her - because she doesn't actively talk about her life or anything because she's a private person and she has a right to be and doesn't want losts of attention like most other artists. 

tumblr_static_9xc9qi0g4k8cgoo8wsksk4o4w.

It's a fault on both sides:

What Lana said was very much exaggerated to make her look suicidal.

However, that we can't dismiss the fact Lana did say she wished she was dead. But as others have said, people say "kill me now" and no one questions if they're suicidal.

But in general, people just need to give Lana a break. I don't know why there is such a fascination with giving Lana especially a hard time, but there really is no reason as to why she should be picked on. And I think that's what she's sick of. To be honest, I would be too. That's probably why she hasn't wanted to be interviewed recently.

All in all this is what I think she's trying to say: Let the music speak for itself. Lana is here to make music and pursue her dream; Her personal life is another story. The fact that this interview exploited and was exaggerated is something she's been trying to get away from for so long, and I think that's why seeing this interview was so hard for her.

tumblr_inline_mr0bdqxfxY1qz4rgp.gif MARINA AND THE DIAMONDS... *duh*

This wasn't such a big deal in the US media. This is how the crappy British media operate. This is Fleet Street garbage and nothing more. Some wussy Brit thought "oh wow, won't this make a good headline that will generate attention and page views".

I don't get why we are wasting our time on this. 

Lana is an American who lives in the US. She does't need crappy reporters for crappy newspapers doing this. She is popular worldwide and does not need interviews with people at the Guardian. 

I retweeted them and they still appear on my timeline on there.

The guy says now Lana fans are worse than Morrissey fans.

I'm double trouble coz I adore both Moz and LDR.

:P

that's funny 'cause lana and morrissey are the only two people i care about in this world LITERALLY

Lana is an American who lives in the US. She does't need crappy reporters for crappy newspapers doing this. She is popular worldwide and does not need interviews with people at the Guardian. 

They're actually one of the biggest papers in the UK and they're pretty well respected, so she does need interviews with them. That's why it's such a big deal I think, especially as Europe and the UK is where she's most popular. It's a shame it got twisted that way on such an influential paper :/

I have gold in my veins

that's funny 'cause lana and morrissey are the only two people i care about in this world LITERALLY

Well then we have to work on getting them hooked up. Can you imagine if they had a baby or two. That would be awesome. 

The thing that worries me is that it was so blown out of proportion that it could even drive her to stop her carer. I mean how much over exaggeration and back lash from the media can one girl take. She just said that it was their personalties and their music, not the fact they died young for god sake. He knew what he was doing and wanted that sort of answer probably. Also, she's obviously sick of giving interviews for them then to be twisted and I could see that be the reason as to why she actually said I wish I was dead so I don't have to do this. People forget that Lana is still shy person (obviously not as much as at the start) and  may have even been a bit worried as she said it - that's could explain the nervous laugh and the sort of vagueness of it all. Plus we don't even know what else had been said before hand and the way he was going on about death and really trying to get her to say that she idolise death so she could have being sarcastic. I'm actually so annoyed because the guardian is meant to be a reputable newspaper in this country but that journalist went too far. 

don't be dramatic. It's OBVIOUSLY not the end of her career and OBVIOUSLY she won't stop doing music because of this. If you think Lana is not playing the media part as much (or more) then the media itself, you give her very little credit brains wise.

glgcDdT.gif

This wasn't such a big deal in the US media. This is how the crappy British media operate. This is Fleet Street garbage and nothing more. Some wussy Brit thought "oh wow, won't this make a good headline that will generate attention and page views".

I don't get why we are wasting our time on this. 

The Guardian is an amazing paper, one of the few international papers that actually do NEWS. About "shit" British media...oh please you can't even begin to compare BBC to CNN, ABC or any US network, not even in the same league credibility and integrity wise. CNN manipulated a entire war and US media created TMZ as a "thing" that has more access then most newspapers online journals combined, so go figure. As far as I'm concerned the only country where Pierce Morgan could find a job after the Daily Mirror scandal was in America....on Larry King's chair..... at CNN. By the way the Brits actually punished The Daily Mirror executives....

Take a sit kid and go read a bit. 

glgcDdT.gif