Rayse

Cruel World Live Snippet

Lana sang a little Cruel World snippet before Cola when she was in Boston.

https://soundcloud.com/lanadelrey-facts/cruel-world-snippet

Then, Cruel World was released along with the record and has no similarities with that snippet. 

She sang a little bit of it again on June 21th, 2014 at the Fête de la Musique festival before singing Cola.

First, I thought maybe she was singing mad world and just changed mad to cruel, but now there are other lyrics and a solid beat to it so now I think maybe this was her version of Cruel World before she started working with Dan and then they completely changed it.

What do you think this is?

l2Sq4K7gijMLVChUI.gif

I was at her show in Boston and I could hardly hear her saying that bit because the fans were so loud.

I like it! I wish it was a part of the final version of Cruel World.

Tbh I think this part could fit AMAZINGLY at the end of the song. Whenever I listen to Cruel World I always her singing "Ohhh... let the light in...its a cruel cruel world" when shes just going like "OhHHHhHHHhHH" at the end of the song. If you sing it just right it fits nicely in my eyes

But ya, I don't understand why she keeps performing it?? You're probably right, it was probably the original version... It's just annoying because it SOUNDS so amazing and beautiful, yet it bears like no similarities to the version we've got now.

I think maybe this was her version of Cruel World before she started working with Dan and then they completely changed it.

I thought Dan wasn't involved with this particular track, only Lana and her guitarist...

ZmJh1LG.jpg

Dan wasn't involved in the writing. I think this was originally the opening on the song

It would sound so cool.

Let the light shine in

It's a cruel, cruel world

Shared my body and my mind with you...

I think maybe as the track is almost 7 mins anyway Lana compromised the intro for adding a guitar outro

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

Dan wasn't involved in the writing. I think this was originally the opening on the song

It would sound so cool.

Let the light shine in

It's a cruel, cruel world

Shared my body and my mind with you...

I think maybe as the track is almost 7 mins anyway Lana compromised the intro for adding a guitar outro

she should of had the intro and instead of repeating the chorus the second time, it should of gone straight to the bridge and then the final chorus

I think she did it to all her shows after we got West Coast, because she performed this intro in Atlanta. It is honestly so beautiful and it made me really excited for Cruel World, so I was a little disappointed at first with Cruel World (I quickly got over it because it is a fantastic song). Maybe this is apart of the demo and Dan took it out when mixing? I don't know what songs he dabbled with, but just listening to the songs on the album and getting their feel from them, Cruel World seems like a song Dan mixed because it had those rock influences.

tumblr_ma0935r5Ds1rbghbvo1_500.gif

This intro has been on my mind since I first heard it on YT and at her concert. I think its so beautiful, I was looking forward to Cruel World so so much from this. Seriously, I was convinced from that little tidbit alone that it would be my new favorite Lana song. I was very disappointed when it wasn't on the album, but the fact that she is still singing it at concerts gives me hope that it'll be in some song or another of hers in the future. Maybe we'll know when she starts performing UV songs at concerts if it was supposed to be at the beginning of Cruel World (because she'll sing it that way) or if its a whole thing on its own. I'd say that Cruel World is likely to be the new opening song when she tours for UV as well. 

This intro has been on my mind since I first heard it on YT and at her concert. I think its so beautiful, I was looking forward to Cruel World so so much from this. Seriously, I was convinced from that little tidbit alone that it would be my new favorite Lana song. I was very disappointed when it wasn't on the album, but the fact that she is still singing it at concerts gives me hope that it'll be in some song or another of hers in the future. Maybe we'll know when she starts performing UV songs at concerts if it was supposed to be at the beginning of Cruel World (because she'll sing it that way) or if its a whole thing on its own. I'd say that Cruel World is likely to be the new opening song when she tours for UV as well. 

I agree with you. I was so excited for the track because I assumed it would have the same opening lines and melody. There was something so ethereal and ominous about the whole "Let the light in...It's a cruel, cruel wooo-oorlddd." Just the way Lana sung it and moaned those "Ohs" in succession, it made my skin crawl with delight. When I heard the actual track, I was surprised and a bit disappointed as well. Thankfully, "Cruel World" is still one of my favorite songs from the new album.

Yeah, super disappointed when this turned out not to be on the actual track - like others have said, I was expecting it right at the end when everything slows down, would have been a perfect fit.

Hopefully a demo appears that includes this, as I was so excited to hear it in studio form.

tumblr_mdazxq5nAn1rvhzzjo1_500.giftumblr_mdazxq5nAn1rvhzzjo2_500.gif

Do any of you guys know the chords for this intro bit? I've looked around and can only find the ones for the actual intro in the album version of the song. I'm just barely not skilled enough to pick it out by ear. :(

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.