Sign in to follow this  
PinUpCartoonBaby

LDR Interview with Austrian newspaper "Krone"

The Austrian newspaper "Kronen Zeitung" (called "Krone") just published an, in my opinion, quite good interview with Lana.

Source

I did a quick translation again. I hope there aren't too many mistakes in it.

TRANSLATION:

Interviewer: Lana, in a recent interview you stated that when you write songs you are either documenting something present or looking ahead to the future and dreaming. So are you a dreamer?

LDR: Absolutely. I think that dreams are as important as reality. I learned that from the author Charles F. Haanel who wrote a book named “The Master Key System”. I still remember when I was really young and dreamt about my future. This imagined future kept manifesting itself to my reality/becoming more and more my reality. This manifestation (?) is very important for imagining your inner world and believing in your dreams.

I.: So are you often deliberately leaving reality?

LDR: Sometimes, but I feel like my dreams are really close to reality because they are so real. Many of them actually became true even though in a little stranger kind than I was thinking. (laughs)

I.: In contrast to you debut album “Born To Die” your new opus “Ultraviolence” sounds more vulnerable. The listener can literally hear the pain in some of your songs. Why did this album turn out so melancholic?

LDR: I think that for all the good and beautiful things that happened to me in the last three years there is also this certain bitterness. Some experiences I went through had a sad or difficult undertone. I think that very often I had been misunderstood. Additionally I had to deal with some personal difficult things in my life. Certain things which I can’t control are sometimes really putting a strain on me and heavily influenced the sound of the album which here and there is quite heavy. There is this certain heaviness on the album but I didn’t try to make it sad on purpose.

I.: Is the song “Sad Girl” autobiographical? Are you describing yourself as a sad girl in it?

LDR: Well, half I’m kidding and playing with clichés. Maybe I’m a bit sarcastic in it. But the song has an impelling jazz vibe and in a certain way it actually is autobiographically influenced.

I.: Does it sometimes feel painful for you when you’re writing really personal lyrics and you’re coming to terms with the past in your songs?

LDR: No, actually it’s great fun and a relief for me. It is indeed painful to talk – after the songs are finished – with people who consider you as an inspiration and might be disappointed from you. Then you’re trying to explain yourself and that’s damn hard and even painful.

I.: In “Cruel World” you are coming to terms with the end of a long relationship. So it’s really not difficult for you to write lyrics like that?

LDR: No, I think that the world is cathartic. In this song I dip into this catharsis, there’s a lot of beauty and reflexion in it. Maybe it saddens you when you’re listening to the song but actually it is not supposed to have this effect.

I.: What exactly do you mean by “Ultraviolence”? This title seems quite aggressive.

LDR: I love words with great force of expression. Words which immediately stick in one’s mind. I’m also influenced by certain people and with “Ultraviolence” I wanted to create a world that fits the context of the word. However, I had the title even before the album. I love it to pick out words and build something around them. It’s a strong word and this is immensely important for me.

I.: Since your fulminant appearance on the stage of pop you have been criticised from all sides. How do you deal with it?

LDR: Not so well, to be honest. When it comes to this I’m not really different from any other human – not everything leaves me cold but it’s getting easier every day. When critics talk about my family they might be clarifying something because for me that’s an absolute taboo zone. When people say that my music is boring I perceive it as an insult because everyone who is criticising my music is criticising me as a person right in my face. It’s often a pure judgement without going a bit deeper and thinking what might be behind it. All in all I would say that it really touches me but upsets me less from day to day. It also depends on how important the medium is. If it’s a very important one but it’s completely wrong then it does bother me.

I.: You take it even more personal then?

LDR: I really care a lot about my songs as well as about the heritage and history of my entire music. I’m always trying to protect my new and old songs as best I can. That’s why I take it very personal then.

I.: What mood do you need to write songs?

LDR: I need to have fun. That’s also the reason why the album was produced by Dan Auerbach from the Black Keys. I met him at a club and noticed that he is a really relaxed and cool guy. He definitely brought much spontaneity into the album. I would like to participate in a song of the Black Keys and I’m a huge fan. Let’s see if something arises.

I.: The special about your songs is that in contrast to almost all other products which are heading the charts they neither have any electronic elements nor a party factor in them. Why are you nevertheless that successful?

LDR: From this point of view you could really say that I’m very lucky. I’m making exactly that kind of music I enjoy listening to when I’m driving in my car or putting on a vinyl in my house in the evening. It’s important to me that music creates a special mood and that it is atmospheric. The criticisms mostly are really mean but I’m lucky that I’ve come that far yet. At the end of the day you are only happy if you did what is fun for you – I’m having this feeling. I like more boppy and upbeat music as well but I’m just a more reflective and pensive person. Therefore my music is slower too.

I.: You recorded the album in different cities. Was this depending on your mood or was it just because of production reasons?

LDR: It was mostly about production. I started in California together with Rick Nowels because I had already written “Summertime Sadness” and “Dark Paradise” with him – now “West Coast”. I wrote the lyrics and the melodies and he did the chords. I produced the album myself in the Electric Lady Studios in New York and when I met Dan Auerbach we went to Nashville.

I.: You just said for writing songs you need to be in a good mood. But one of your songs is called “Pretty When You Cry”. So do you only feel pretty when you are crying?

LDR: No, a guy once told this to me when I was angry and I shed some tears. I didn’t really like that he had said this to me but it was the perfect sentence for a song title. (laughs)

I.: With the song “Money Power Glory” you’re attacking the critics of your first album in a sarcastic way.

LDR: A bit, yes. The song is one and a half years old, therefore it’s the oldest one on “Ultraviolence”. The song emerged in a time when I was really frustrated by the external world. Some people confined themselves to relating me to money. I had that much luck and power so there was a negative connotation in terms of shame but not glory. I didn’t want to be seen like that but at the same time I knew that I had to accept it. I think that this song is my version of being aggressive. But it’s not a direct aggression, I’m rather playing with metaphors. At the same time, concerning song writing I always thought that the whole thing isn’t worth the anger because I don’t like being sarcastic. However this song just had to be simple.

I.: What have you learned in this shark tank of music industry in the last few years after having risen that fast?

LDR: What I learned was that even beforehand I used to be different and nothing has changed about it. Just like I’m sitting here I know more about why people don’t like me or my music. When I was like 20 years old and I wrote songs I was invisible. I came from an alternative background and didn’t have to deal with bad reports. When people increasingly started to listen to “Born To Die” and the album became more and more popular, they probably thought: “What the hell does she think who she is? If she wants to be influencing she shall at least be more inspiring.” My music was never supposed to get popular anyway that’s why it has never been pop music. It’s rather alternative music. I think that this bothered many people because the expectations didn’t meet at all. But above all I’m writing for myself and therefore I have nothing to do with the stories which are written about me. There’s now a complete separation to my public life.

I.: Is it sometimes difficult for you to be that famous?

LDR: Sometimes. Because truth is, what people actually think about you. Truth is, what people think they know about you. It’s difficult to live my life normally if I’m already categorized for many. Seen from a psychological point of view it’s really crazy. But well, it’s okay.

I.: How do you relax from all that strain and trouble that your job and fame bring along?

LDR: There are two things I truly love. On the one hand I really enjoy going to concerts. I recently saw Courtney Love at Troubadour. I also saw Guns N’ Roses, KISS, Mötley Crüe and The Who. You know I’m a rock girl. And I like being at the beach and I love California. Those two things bring me down really quickly.

I.: How long does it take until you’re completely content with a song?

LDR: It doesn’t necessarily depend on the time but on how the lyrics look like, how I sing certain passages and how the melody fits. If you’re considering all that it actually took two and a half years. (laughs) Some songs like “Cruel World” or “Pretty When You Cry” have been done really quickly, on others I’ve been working for more than a year.

I.: Are you feeling more comfortable now on stage when you’re doing a live show?

LDR: Yes, I’m feeling much more comfortable now. At the beginning I used to be very shy but with experience, with every single concert is got better and better. The audience is always very receptive and happy. When I’m beginning the show with my back turned to the audience and making my warm-up like that they are already singing along loudly and supporting me. They just don’t care that I’m not that extravagant and mega excited.

I.: Finally: When are you planning to present your album in Europe?

LDR: I hope that I can present the album everywhere next year. I can’t say much more right now. :excited:

lana_takeitoff_notxb4uwe.gif

this is a really good interview! some interesting questions for once, and i like the direct references to her different songs. this journalist has actually done some research   :yesnod:

tumblr_myss44sOvJ1sut3cso1_250.gif

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!

I thrive off of the questions that ask about certain songs and what mindset she was in when she wrote them. Bravo to the interviewer for actually being interested in the music.

I will say that I wish we could just move past the fact that she's a highly criticized artist. That's well-known at this point and it probably drags her down when she's reminded of that all the time. She needs to know how interested people are in her songs and creative process! Love the short PWYC anecdote. 

My favorite part of it all is that her goal is to create music that fits in with the stuff she enjoys listening to. I totally get that from Ultraviolence and her describing it like that brings a new layer of enjoyment to listening to the record. 

I thought Old Money was the oldest song written :O

Assuming this interview was a few weeks ago, this would mean MPG was written at the start of 2013 and they scored TGG later once the theatrical release was pushed back

BzhmW.png

What's she waiting for to start a new tour? I'm getting sick of all this late promo, she should do a three months (october-december) tour then take a rest and keep performing on random festivals, but wait until next year?.. no way

2wn4whw.png

Guest Dot

What a great interview. Finally not some shitty "Oh, so you want to commit suicide" kind of interview. You can tell the guy interviewing her was actually interested in her music. I'm also very surprised but at the same time not surprised to hear that MPG was written 1 and a half years ago. That song is clearly the most BTD-sounding song of the album.

Wow! Great interview. It's nice to read an interview about her music, life, opinions and projects. It's kinda common lately to have interviewers asking her those silly questions about how sad she is, how she wants to be dead... Knowing she wrote those songs so long ago makes me think that she's already writing something to Music To Watch Boys To, lmao, just kidding!

Really great interview, just the right balance between music and personal life. The interviewer did his research and Lana seemed comfortable. If only they were always smooth like this one!