EP10

Virgin Radio Station Boycotts Lana

what medical issues was she having?

She hasn't said specifically herself, but other sources say that she suffers from stomach ulcers, like Kurt Cobain did.  I don't think that's been confirmed, though.  Last year, during a performance at the Vicar Street Theater in Dublin, Ireland, she was said to have "broken down" during the song "Video Games."

Calling it a "breakdown" or a "meltdown," as some publications put it, is a gross exaggeration.  There's a really good YouTube video of the performance (

), with lots of close-ups.  You can see her wiping at her eyes a couple of times, but no actual tears showed up.

In an interview with The Fader (http://www.thefader.com/2014/06/04/lana-del-rey-cover-interview/), the interviewer writes:

"I ask her why she was crying.  'I’d been sick on tour for about two years with this medical anomaly that doctors couldn’t figure out,' she says, to my surprise. 'That’s a big part of my life: I just feel really sick a lot of the time and can’t figure out why. I’d gotten these shots in Russia, where we’d just been. It was just heavy. It’s just heavy performing for people who really care about you, and you don’t really care that much about yourself sometimes. I thought it was sad. I thought my position was sad. I thought it was sad to be in Ireland singing for people who really cared when I wasn’t sure if I did.'  I’d expected self-congratulation, the triumph of finally making it. You never really know.”

Also, it is often said (including in the above Fader interview) that Lana said to the Vicar Street audience, "I think you’re going to have to sing it for me.”  For me?  Nooooooo.... if you watch the video, you can clearly hear her say "WITH me," not "FOR me."

Maybe the pressure because of this causes her to get sick fast every time she has to perform, as a protective mechanism

She should see a psychologist

In the beginning, when she first started performing live, she was a bit of a nervous wreck.  She admitted on many occasions that she was a nervous performer.  But that was then... One would think that, by now, 2.5 years and hundreds of performances later, she wouldn't be such a bundle of nerves.  She has, more recently, said that she still gets a little nervous at first, but by the time the first song is done, she's OK and into her groove.  I've never seen her look nervous during performances in the last 2 years, though, so she must hide it well.

Maybe she's just lazy. But, if she doesn't want to perform, we've got to accept the decision.

LDR may be many things, but I'm certain "lazy" isn't one of them.  With as much as she does, and as on-the-go as she is, laziness wouldn't factor into the equation.  Unless we're given a good reason otherwise, let's just take her reps at their words.

it's kinda weird that she cancelled (almost) every performance after ultraviolence, it's like she doesn't want to promote that album and sing the songs. I mean the only performances we've got so far were some festivals. I don't want to sound selfish but i'm getting tired of this mess, we haven't got a lot of promo performances for Paradise either but at least she didn't cancel any (or at least not that many that i know of). Either she's being really lazy or her management is just not capable of booking and planing her promo schedule in a time when she's not ill (and i mean we saw her eating ice cream, relaxing on some beach in italy and doing other fun stuff while looking happy and pretty healthy in candids)...

i76mrxw.png 

And she cancelled another private show in France today. She's probably not going to BBC Radio 1 on Tuesday...

In an interview with The Fader (http://www.thefader.com/2014/06/04/lana-del-rey-cover-interview/), the interviewer writes:

"I ask her why she was crying.  'I’d been sick on tour for about two years with this medical anomaly that doctors couldn’t figure out,' she says, to my surprise. 'That’s a big part of my life: I just feel really sick a lot of the time and can’t figure out why. I’d gotten these shots in Russia, where we’d just been. It was just heavy. It’s just heavy performing for people who really care about you, and you don’t really care that much about yourself sometimes. I thought it was sad. I thought my position was sad. I thought it was sad to be in Ireland singing for people who really cared when I wasn’t sure if I did.'  I’d expected self-congratulation, the triumph of finally making it. You never really know.”

I remember this. I feel sad for her. She made it to debut an album on the top of Billboard and now it seems like things are not going as expected. Maybe she doesn't really like to perform live at all.

(and i mean we saw her eating ice cream, relaxing on some beach in italy and doing other fun stuff while looking happy and pretty healthy in candids)...

Those candids are from a couple of months back. A lot can happen in that time. Even the recent pics we saw of her and Francesco in New York a from a couple of weeks ago.

I remember this. I feel sad for her. She made it to debut an album on the top of Billboard and now it seems like things are not going as expected. Maybe she doesn't really like to perform live at all.

She has said on more than one occasion that she didn't consider herself a good live performer, at least not at first. In the beginning, her stage presence was almost nonexistent, though she's come a long way since then.

I honestly dont think she gives a fuck about promoting albums. Not that i mind, but i think her promo run for BTD will be the only time we ever see something like that. She seems to love to just make and release music and thats it. x

I wouldn't say she doesn't care... (see above). She loves her fans and has a great loyalty toward them. BBC Radio 1's tweet says she was "devastated" to have to cancel. I don't see any reason to not believe that. Lana loves her fans and would not want to disappoint them if she had a choice. Plus, cancellations are bad PR, and I'm sure she's smart enough to try to avoid that whenever possible.

I am sure Lana loves her fans (I mean, as much as you can love strangers). However, some things she does send different signals, like cancelling performances last minute or constantly talking about how nobody likes her instead of really talking about her fans. Still, the attitude she shows towards them if she meets them at shows is really sweet and wonderful, unlike those b*tches Ariana Grande or Avril Lavigne.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

We met Ben outside Lana hotel in Paris on August 25th and he put us on the guest list for the Trianon show that evening, that was later cancelled, then they rescheduled it on September 14th so I travelled again to Paris to see her and it was cancelled again. The only time I felt lucky in my life turned out to be such a nightmare. But Im not mad or anything like that, just disappointed maybe, but I still love Lana so fucking much and respect her even more. I saw so many "fans" being fucking rude and overly very dramatic over this thing. And now Virging start acting lame too? This is so unnecessary. Move on people it's just a fucking show.

let the light in, it's a cruel world

She also cancelled the performance on BBC and they didn't make a fuss about it, it's very unprofessional for them to boycott her. An artist can cancell a gig at anytime, it's not uncommon.

It surprised me to see how Lana became such a easy target for those so called fans to attack her. She cancelled an event and suddenly she doesn't care about her fans? ( even though she demonstrated over those last three years to be one of the most kindness and generous person ever). Well, I guess that's what you get when your fans are 16 years old who "love" a singer different every month - they just  fail to see her as a person capable of getting sick or having feelings.

it's kinda weird that she cancelled (almost) every performance after ultraviolence, it's like she doesn't want to promote that album and sing the songs. I mean the only performances we've got so far were some festivals. I don't want to sound selfish but i'm getting tired of this mess, we haven't got a lot of promo performances for Paradise either but at least she didn't cancel any (or at least not that many that i know of). Either she's being really lazy or her management is just not capable of booking and planing her promo schedule in a time when she's not ill (and i mean we saw her eating ice cream, relaxing on some beach in italy and doing other fun stuff while looking happy and pretty healthy in candids)...

quoting this months later, but I just need to say; lana has a fucking life too just like everybody else. sorry you're so mad you haven't gotten to see her live recently, but don't go attacking her like that, she can have fun too like everybody else do you expect her to spend her whole life locked up in a tour bus without a fucking life? Idk about you but I'm happy that she's happy. Her whole life shouldn't revolve around selfish "fans" like you sorry to break the news

quoting this months later, but I just need to say; lana has a fucking life too just like everybody else. sorry you're so mad you haven't gotten to see her live recently, but don't go attacking her like that, she can have fun too like everybody else do you expect her to spend her whole life locked up in a tour bus without a fucking life? Idk about you but I'm happy that she's happy. Her whole life shouldn't revolve around selfish "fans" like you sorry to break the news

Calm down. Grow up.

Nobody is attacking Lana, we are just tired of all the cancellations during the UV era. We only got 3 videos and only a handful of songs performed live. She cancelled several radio & TV appearances for no apparent reason and it's annoying that she gave up so early. The era was over before it started - we basically just got the album and some (minimal) additional stuff. That's pissed several people, including myself, off, as it had so much potential. But she's kinda clarified why it ended so quickly now, so I don't think there's so much hostility surrounding it now. So chill.

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

Calm down. Grow up.

Nobody is attacking Lana, we are just tired of all the cancellations during the UV era. We only got 3 videos and only a handful of songs performed live. She cancelled several radio & TV appearances for no apparent reason and it's annoying that she gave up so early. The era was over before it started - we basically just got the album and some (minimal) additional stuff. That's pissed several people, including myself, off, as it had so much potential. But she's kinda clarified why it ended so quickly now, so I don't think there's so much hostility surrounding it now. So chill.

I never said I didn't agree with this, I just didn't like the way that person was talking. They litterally said lana shouldn't be allowed to have fun and as fans we can have expectations but if they don't all get met then we have to except it and enjoy what she did give us and move on. You talk like lana works for you and needs to meet all of your requirements, I was aware she wasn't as.. Active.. With ultra but I never was so mad about it that I had to go trash talk her on the Internet. I'm sure the album had lots of potential but it is how lana made it to be and I never have really questioned her decisions. She obviously was going through a rough time and you shouldn't be "pissed off" just because the album and the outcome of it wasn't good enough for you. Everyone needs a little personal time. If you can't accept that and you're annoyed by her choices you should go visit some other fan site lmao

I never said I didn't agree with this, I just didn't like the way that person was talking. They litterally said lana shouldn't be allowed to have fun and as fans we can have expectations but if they don't all get met then we have to except it and enjoy what she did give us and move on. You talk like lana works for you and needs to meet all of your requirements, I was aware she wasn't as.. Active.. With ultra but I never was so mad about it that I had to go trash talk her on the Internet. I'm sure the album had lots of potential but it is how lana made it to be and I never have really questioned her decisions. She obviously was going through a rough time and you shouldn't be "pissed off" just because the album and the outcome of it wasn't good enough for you. Everyone needs a little personal time. If you can't accept that and you're annoyed by her choices you should go visit some other fan site lmao

Nobody trash talked Lana...where are you getting that from....

There was nothing wrong with the album, just the fact she didn't do anything with it. This isn't a time where an artist can just put out an album without anything with it - there has to be more coherency.

If you can't criticise your idols, then you're just plain silly, really. Nobody is perfect and god knows that Lana is so problematic sometimes. That's great that you didn't question her but I'm not gonna sit here in silence whilst she delivers a half-assed era to us. Don't be ignorant.

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

There is a difference between having a private life and cancelling dates for concerts and tv performances your fans, the people who are financing your fun, have paid for and/or are looking foreward to.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

This isn't a time where an artist can just put out an album without anything with it - there has to be more coherency.

If anything the internet era enables musicians to do what the hell ever they want. There aren't patterns and rules you have to play by or you're forgotten. Okay, maybe for the conventional pop stars, but Lana is quite unconventional.

If anything the internet era enables musicians to do what the hell ever they want. There aren't patterns and rules you have to play by or you're forgotten. Okay, maybe for the conventional pop stars, but Lana is quite unconventional.

Still, she has some rules to adhere to. You can't deliver an album and then not do anything with it. It's just ridiculous.

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

Still, she has some rules to adhere to. You can't deliver an album and then not do anything with it. It's just ridiculous.

. Lmao well sorry you're so butt hurt about it. Stop complaining and get over it she'll have other albums. Most real fans I know are perfectly content with what lana has given us and how hard she's worked especially through tough times. She isn't perfect, just gotta except what she's given us.