I'm listening her album now and I can't really get where the "concept album" comes from. Do you remember in which interview she explains it?

The concept comes from the idea that the "Badlands" represent her mind (playing into the fact that she's bipolar and struggled with it throughout her teenage years). The concept is less apparent on the deluxe because Tracks like Hurricane, Strange Love, & I Walk the line deviate from it, but its essentially her navigating though the different mental struggles she's faced by conceptualizing them into songs. The album itself bounces through highs (Roman Holiday) and the lows (colors) much like something someone with mental illness (or really anyone just to a less drastic degree) would experience. The best example of this would be Control where the lines bounce from symptoms of mania ("I paced around for hours on empty, I jumped at the slightest of sounds") and depression ("I couldn't stand the person inside me, I turned all the mirrors around). While I'm obviously overanalyzing it, I think its a pretty solid concept album given that its the debut from a 20 year old and she wrote it with a relatively small amount of people (the tracks were done with a lot of different producers yet have common lyrical themes leading me to believe she actually did write a lot of it). I think people are trashing the album because they don't like her as a person (which I can see why) but I don't think the album is bad by any means.

The concept comes from the idea that the "Badlands" represent her mind (playing into the fact that she's bipolar and struggled with it throughout her teenage years). The concept is less apparent on the deluxe because Tracks like Hurricane, Strange Love, & I Walk the line, but its essentially her navigating though the different mental struggles she's faced by conceptualizing them into songs. The album itself bounces through highs (Roman Holiday) and the lows (colors) much like something. The best example of this would be Control where the lines bounce from symptoms of mania ("I paced around for hours on empty, I jumped at the slightest of sounds") and depression ("I couldn't stand the person inside me, I turned all the mirrors around). While I'm obviously overanalyzing it, I think its a pretty solid concept album given that its the debut from a 20 year old and she wrote it with a relatively small amount of people (the tracks were done with a lot of different producers yet have common lyrical themes leading me to believe she actually did write a lot of it). I think people are trashing the album because they don't like her as a person (which I can see why) but I don't think the album is bad by any means.

I actually like your analysis of it. I wasn't a huge fan of the deluxe tracks, so I'll listen to the standard tomorrow and see if that changes my feelings on the record now that I can go into it with all that in mind

BzhmW.png

I actually like your analysis of it. I wasn't a huge fan of the deluxe tracks, so I'll listen to the standard tomorrow and see if that changes my feelings on the record now that I can go into it with all that in mind

My only issue with the concept of it is that a lot of songs are about guys (ghost, colors, young god, drive, roman holiday) so I don't really see how it plays into the concept unless she's conceptualizing them as figures that "led her though" the Badlands

i dont get colors part 2 i feel it's rlly unnecessary like is there a reason for it to be there or is it just.... there?

This is just my opinion, but I think it's kind of an interlude into the second half of the album and also just sort of to add more sound to colors (if that makes sense)

smile.gif

loved the album overall. roman holiday & young god are the weak tracks to me. gasoline's chorus doesn't (completely) live up to it's verses, still fucking love it tho [love aggressive halsey]. i wish she would've stuck to the tour versions of colors & control. control is by far my favorite (tour version & this version, it grew on me). i walk the line is so beautiful; she's the only person to successfully cover johnny cash and do it JUSTICE. would be cool if there was a badlands movie. i like colors pt 2 [tbh i thought it was going to be a spoken word piece]. on my aoty list.

also @@KillForLove i love you. 

she wrote it with a relatively small amount of people (the tracks were done with a lot of different producers yet have common lyrical themes leading me to believe she actually did write a lot of it)

She said she wrote the whole album herself.

Also I think everyone should watch these two videos:

After several listens, I can say I love the majority of the album, but I would've cut Roman Holiday and Coming Down, those are the weakest tracks to me, don't really feel them a lot. So, from best to worst in my opinion:

Control

Gasoline

Castle 

(God bless these three tracks, bravo)

Ghost

Colors (I & II)

Strange Love

Haunting

I Walk The Line

Hold Me Down

New Americana

Hurricane

Yound God

Drive

Coming Down

Roman Holiday

My rate: 8.5/10

QVi1xFV.gifDrH6LWV.gif0FHXTOj.gif

My ranking so far

Control

Hurricane
Castle
Strange Love

New Americana

Ghost
I Walk The Line

These songs are my favourite ones and the most outstanding ones in my opinion.

Gasoline
Coming Down
Haunting
Drive
Hold Me Down

These songs are pretty good but all of them have their highs and lows.

Colors

Young God
Roman Holiday

These are the songs I like the least. All 3 of them are nice but I think they are very forgetable.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!