Sign in to follow this  
BENTLEY

Interview: Rick Nowels talks about Lana Del Rey

Nowels: I had seen Lana’s videos when I lived in England in 2010. I knew she had a vision. When we moved back to L.A., Anne Zogby in my manager’s office asked me if I wanted to meet her. I said “of course”. When we met, she was living out of a suitcase between London, New York and Los Angeles, collaborating with different people. She didn’t have a record deal yet, so she had a lot of songs with different writers. I felt completely simpatico with her vision. I love and understand the records that inspired her. The first song we wrote was called “TV in Black & White”. The second song we wrote was “Summertime Sadness”. I felt it was a career song. I realized she was an amazing songwriter and lyricist. When we were recording the song, we wrote “Dark Paradise” in-between takes of “Summertime Sadness”…literally recording one and writing another. It was a very exciting time. That album became Born To Die, which has become an iconic album. I think it has sold 8 million to date.

We continued to write together and wrote “Cola”, “American” and “Body Electric” on Born To Die: The Paradise Edition. I’m really proud of those songs. I love that Lana quotes Walt Whitman. Five of our songs were recorded for the Ultraviolence album. “West Coast” was the first single, and “Shades of Cool” was the second single. She is a one of a kind artist and keeps growing. She’s such a natural writer and singer and has a real vision for who she is and what she wants to put out into the world. I think she will be a future legend.

The full interview can be found here: http://www.songwriteruniverse.com/rick-nowels-2015.htm

The first song we wrote was called “TV in Black & White”.

Oooh, another song's producer confirmed. :oprah:

The second song we wrote was “Summertime Sadness”. I felt it was a career song. I realized she was an amazing songwriter and lyricist. When we were recording the song, we wrote “Dark Paradise” in-between takes of “Summertime Sadness”…literally recording one and writing another.

I've always associated these two songs off BTD... sonically. LOL. Probably because they're two of the sappiest, cheesiest songs on it. And not intentionally like "Lucky Ones".

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Oooh, another song's producer confirmed. :oprah:

I've always associated these two songs off BTD... sonically. LOL. Probably because they're two of the sappiest, cheesiest songs on it. And not intentionally like "Lucky Ones".

The song is so beautiful. Makes me happy that we know more about it now. :flutter:

Me too 

great interview. loved reading the Dido part too

It was all very humble…writing in her little flat and her making tea for me

that sounds about right.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

Didn't he say she will become a legend before UV came out? I am pretty sure he did

I remember another interview a year or more ago, where RN said he really liked working on summertime sadness and that people liked her for her artistry. I also remember a podcast on iTunes where RN said he thought Lana would create lasting work, or words to that effect. Can't refind the podcast, and whatever candidates I can find for it appear to be deleted. If this article reflects a recent (new) opinion, this would be the 3rd time of RN stanning for Lana. Regarding it being new, the absence of any HM mention is bothersome. True it's an article about RN, but it would have been nice to know whether RN's "future legend" appraisal was influenced by knowledge of HM (I think it would have been a legitimate question after his saying that). The fact that there is no mention suggests a bunch of possibilities: maybe he doesn't know of/didn't contribute to HM; maybe the article is just a re-run (which I think the most likely); maybe the interviewer asked about RN's involvment with HM, and RN stonewalled that issue, even up to the point of stipulating not mentioning that he stonewalled it. Too many maybes.

Didn't he say she will become a legend before UV came out? I am pretty sure he did

I think he said she gained respect because she is a good and professional artist.

--------

I love their relationship :) It seems like they're really good friends.

... it would have been nice to know whether RN's "future legend" appraisal was influenced by knowledge of HM (I think it would have been a legitimate question after his saying that). 

So if the article is very recent, RN did stonewall HM info, because if LDR's "honeymoon" instagram is legit, then RN's the lead producer on HM (it/she posted an RN picture used in this interview!). So if the article is recent, RN did weigh HM into his "future legend" assessment of LDR, which is good news.

So if the article is very recent, RN did stonewall HM info, because if LDR's "honeymoon" instagram is legit, then RN's the lead producer on HM (it/she posted an RN picture used in this interview!). So if the article is recent, RN did weigh HM into his "future legend" assessment of LDR, which is good news.

Honey, how could the account not be legit after all the news we got? 

Was the Honeymoon snippet posted to the honeymoon instagram account first (before LDR's instagram)?

Yes, but she posted the Honeymoon lyrics edit either at the same time just before or just after on her own account if I remember correctly

ZKcaooE.png