Subversive

Honeymoon Album Sampler

This cult idea has me thinking about the chorus lyrics of Freak in a new light

"If you wanna leave

Come to California

Be a freak like me too"

And those lyrics in context of the cult imagery like the girls dancing made me think of how Charlie Manson picked up young girls who were against the mainstream/angry at 'the man' and promised to take them away to a place they could be free etc as a way of luring them into the cult mentality? If you know what I mean?

Just a thought :)

tumblr_oq0kv3RGWK1r4igkto2_540.jpg

Does anyone have any convenient downloadable .mp3's for the mtwbt and freak snippets?  :creep:  

if you do, could you message me them? thank you!  :D

Also @@C0neyIslandKing I can totally see where that could come in. I think this would be much more plausible than Lana incorporating the Jonestown massacre/Peoples Temple Agricultural Project into these videos (like people were talking about in the Honeymoon pre-release thread).

xLQVhhY.gif

This cult idea has me thinking about the chorus lyrics of Freak in a new light

"If you wanna leave

Come to California

Be a freak like me too"

And those lyrics in context of the cult imagery like the girls dancing made me think of how Charlie Manson picked up young girls who were against the mainstream/angry at 'the man' and promised to take them away to a place they could be free etc as a way of luring them into the cult mentality? If you know what I mean?

Just a thought :)

I've thought about this as well. I wonder what statement she is trying to make with the cult imagery. I know there's a theme in the Honeymoon era so far regarding female objectivity and the male gaze, so I'm interested to see where she takes the visuals. 

I've thought about this as well. I wonder what statement she is trying to make with the cult imagery. I know there's a theme in the Honeymoon era so far regarding female objectivity and the male gaze, so I'm interested to see where she takes the visuals. 

For me it seems that she reversed Ultraviolence themes. For example, if UV is the "real" history (she followed a religious sect) now with HM she's the "cult leader', she is no longer the victim. While songs like Money Power Glory and Fuck My Way are sarcastic response of what media says about her she doesn't deny those things but instead she accepted what they say about her. But now with HBTB video she's finally full of their bullshit and is ready to take her revenge ( again she's no longer the victim). 

I really think that fruit punch is part of cult history symbolism, especially because there are several bodies strewn upon each other (out of frame) all we see is the hands and Lana.

Another thing I've been thinking of is Honeymoon could be like being accepted/initiated into the cult, since that term sister wives was used to describe the sexual/familial relationship between the females that followed cult leaders like Manson, Jim Jones, etc. 

If you notice, Lana is the only one not in the sheer, long, white dress uniform that the other girls dance around (swim) in, she's in shorts and a shirt, looking like a "normal girl" perhaps just arriving, being taken in. Ergo "Taking The Kool-Aid", so to speak.

I definitely hope this imagery is explored further in any upcoming music videos, or the themes come up in other songs etc.

And I've really enjoyed your posts on Lana and the Male Gaze this era, I didn't even think about it till I saw you post about it a while back but now I see it I find it so interesting! It's certainly something I look forward to thinking about in detail and discussing once we have the whole album! :)

tumblr_oq0kv3RGWK1r4igkto2_540.jpg

I have to say that "Freak" ia utterly everything. Lana has reached a whole new level of sensual goddesstry with the song. Can we get into how in control she is of the vocal and how the production perfectly complements hsr delivery? I love her signature, out of tune vocal trill she does at the end of what i guess is the first verse leading into the chorus. "Oh, ohh, ohhh, ohh, ahhahha" Wail, Lana. She slayed me with that.