annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

Not really since HM =/= UV, musically, unlike Paradise which sounded like an extension of BTD Lol

Don't get me wrong I loveeeee Honeymoon but I don't know it just didn't stick with me. Could be though that everyone on this site is just getting thirstier and thirstier as time passes :P

Don't get me wrong I loveeeee Honeymoon but I don't know it just didn't stick with me. Could be though that everyone on this site is just getting thirstier and thirstier as time passes :P

Maybe some fans have high standards for her and get dissapointed

Mfhp.gif

The thing is that she's never been like this. Tell me, did you expect STRANGER THAN A STRANGER? I swear when I heard that line I laughed so loud my neighbors called 911. Hahahha. I could do the same with UV and BTD if you want :creep: just to show you that this is faaaar from being just "the typical Lana".

I like "stranger than a stranger" as it is a concise horror-story when it is applied to talking about ones past; however, I may not like the lyric for its (potential) non-originality as it seems to be the kind of thing done before. Here, for instance, is an example (though a bit more cringeworthy in its overblownness, imo):

still, if it did the job it needed to do in Freak, which is to convey the idea of a person with a chaotic past (perhaps), I'm ok with it.

i hate to say it, but i'm so over honeymoon. i have been for a long time. 

with her other songs/albums, the lyrics told stories, had interesting references, added to the mystery of lana del rey. there were things to unpack and analyze. there was life in her music, playfulness. all of that is sorely lacking on honeymoon.

in some ways it reminds me of what happened to tori amos. she kept producing her own albums with the same musicians and same yes men and no one to challenge her. and what happened? after awhile--blandness, shitty production, lack of inspiration, etc. both lana and tori prefer to be in total control but that's not the way to grow as an artist if you remain set in your ways. 

let me be who i'm meant to be

Honeymoon is her most beautiful release so far. Everything feels much more natural on the album and her writing is also consistently good through out the whole record. I love that it consists of a variation of sounds yet it still flows beautifully. It's a trip.

There was life in Born To Die? Where? The atmosphere was so empty. Her vocals were lacking, the lyrics were overdone for the most part... No, the whole thing was overdone. Born To Die is good but it simply pales in comparison with her other releases.

Also, what makes a Lana song good is a combination of her delivery, lyrics and production so nitpicking her writing  is kinda pointless( and annoys me). If it works within the context of the song, I couldn't care less if it looks bad on paper.

Honeymoon is her most beautiful release so far. Everything feels much more natural on the album and her writing is also consistently good through out the whole record. I love that it consists of a variation of sounds yet it still flows beautifully. It's a trip.

There was life in Born To Die? Where? The atmosphere was so empty. Her vocals were lacking, the lyrics were overdone for the most part... No, the whole thing was overdone. Born To Die is good but it simply pales in comparison with her other releases.

Also, what makes a Lana song good is a combination of her delivery, lyrics and production so nitpicking her writing  is kinda pointless( and annoys me). If it works within the context of the song, I couldn't care less if it looks bad on paper.

and that's your opinion? i'm allowed to have a different one. 

um, go listen to OTTR and tell me there's no life and energy in it. i didn't even mention BTD specifically, lol. either way, BTD isn't a perfect album but at least it isn't boring and it tells a story. and i'm not only referring to her released catalog, but also her vast amount of unreleased songs. she is capable of so many different genres and productions and atmospheres--why is she settling for music to sleep to? her older slow, sparse songs at least had interesting lyrics. 

also, i'm not talking about the lyrics on paper. they are just not interesting in general. more than that, they are sometimes lazy. i agree that it is a combination of all those elements that make her songs great, but that's the problem. she's missing a vital element on honeymoon. she even admitted that the album was more about vibes than lyrics and it shows. it's disappointing for me because they are a big part of why i became so interested in her music. 

and that's your opinion? i'm allowed to have a different one. 

um, go listen to OTTR and tell me there's no life and energy in it. i didn't even mention BTD specifically, lol. either way, BTD isn't a perfect album but at least it isn't boring and it tells a story. and i'm not only referring to her released catalog, but also her vast amount of unreleased songs. she is capable of so many different genres and productions and atmospheres--why is she settling for music to sleep to? her older slow, sparse songs at least had interesting lyrics. 

also, i'm not talking about the lyrics on paper. they are just not interesting in general. more than that, they are sometimes lazy. i agree that it is a combination of all those elements that make her songs great, but that's the problem. she's missing a vital element on honeymoon. she even admitted that the album was more about vibes than lyrics and it shows. it's disappointing for me because they are a big part of why i became so interested in her music. 

I wasn't referring to you, I am not trying to discredit anyone. Those were my thoughts on the album and I made a lil comparison to BTD since it's most adored among the fans, I suppose.

Sorry if you thought I was looking for a debate. I respect your opinion.

The bashing of these lyrics is so f*cking stupid and childish since they make sense in the context of the lyrics. It's obvious Lana's not trying to channel Dora the explorer to teach her screaming twink fans about the hours here but to tell her lover he wastes his time with strange shit.

Yet y'all celebrate "Open up a beer

and you say get over here and play a video game" or "Now I'm off to the races, cases

of Bacardi chasers chasin' me all over town" like the second coming of Goethe.

OMFG Someone finally fucking said it

The 24 hours thing is part of a longer phrase most of the twats on this forum seem to ignore for whatever reason

There's only 24 hours and that's not enough

To lie like you lie, or love like you love

:uh: To me it's not stupid at all, it's a sort of hyperbole to state he constantly lies but he's also a great lover.

ZmJh1LG.jpg

i hate to say it, but i'm so over honeymoon. i have been for a long time. 

with her other songs/albums, the lyrics told stories, had interesting references, added to the mystery of lana del rey. there were things to unpack and analyze. there was life in her music, playfulness. all of that is sorely lacking on honeymoon.

in some ways it reminds me of what happened to tori amos. she kept producing her own albums with the same musicians and same yes men and no one to challenge her. and what happened? after awhile--blandness, shitty production, lack of inspiration, etc. both lana and tori prefer to be in total control but that's not the way to grow as an artist if you remain set in your ways. 

In Tori's defence, she needed 8 albums til she turned boring. Lana needed 3. Although boring is too harsh. The songs on the album are just not well-balanced. As you pointed it out, there is simply not much going on there and this is the reason why it is not a success. It's not lacking success because Lana is not at her peak anymore or because the sound ain't as pop friendly like on BTD, it's simply because the album is not good enough and pretty predictable.

I think it's really strange that people assume Lana's co-producers in Nowels, of course men, don't challenge her and that she needs a really strong producer, of course a man, to do good work with. I can think of very few artists who don't work with at least one collaborator in terms of lyrics or production and create excellent music (even Pet Sounds, which people erroneously think Brian Wilson created on his own) so I do think Lana would need collaborators. But a woman artist being in control (whatever this means - she coproduced the whole album for the first time. But she has always had a strong vision and on HM talked about how the sound changed) seems to send the Lana concern pearl clutchers to speculate that if an album doesn't meet their expectations then she needs a strong male producer to save her from mediocrity. The comparison with Tori Amos is really off too.

I think it's really strange that people assume Lana's co-producers in Nowels, of course men, don't challenge her and that she needs a really strong producer, of course a man, to do good work with. I can think of very few artists who don't work with at least one collaborator in terms of lyrics or production and create excellent music (even Pet Sounds, which people erroneously think Brian Wilson created on his own) so I do think Lana would need collaborators. But a woman artist being in control (whatever this means - she coproduced the whole album for the first time. But she has always had a strong vision and on HM talked about how the sound changed) seems to send the Lana concern pearl clutchers to speculate that if an album doesn't meet their expectations then she needs a strong male producer to save her from mediocrity. The comparison with Tori Amos is really off too.

She said it herself: she doesn't want a producer in the studio who disagrees with her. 

Agree 100%. It's a nice record, but you know...

---

She said it herself: she doesn't want a producer in the studio who disagrees with her. 

And that's a shame.

yeah, i'm not just assuming. i can't find the interview right now but i remember her saying that rick nowels never says no to her. david kahn and dan auerbach had tension with lana in the studio at times because they weren't that way &, IMO, the result was amazing albums. 

also, i never implied that she needs a "strong man" to help her, nor would i ever. however, music is collaborative & seeing as she doesn't play an instrument she will always be working with other people. (mostly men because the industry is male-dominated & lana herself chooses to work with men.) 

i'm not saying all is lost or that she'll go the route of tori--that will only happen if she NEVER lets herself get challenged by whoever she's working with. being surrounded by yes men can lead to self-indulgence.