Sign in to follow this  
Sitar

Ghetto Baby

I know you’re sick boy,

I wanna get the flu

Sorry, those lyrics are perfect Lana shit. He's sick, dope, fresh to death--but then she turns it around with a flu pun that doesn't even sound all that cheesy, just tongue-in-cheek and clever and badass! Genius.

Cheryl's version is godly, Lana's is just eww

Production on Cheryl's version is sick while Lana's is awful in comparison. If only we had a version of Lana singing over the completed instrumental used by Cheryl...it'd blow Cheryl away tbh

Apart from being so demo-ish, Lana's version is heavenly. Her pop music and lyrics are so damn sexy

I don't particularly like Lana's version but Cheryl's is shit. Cheryl has absolutely no emotions in her voice and the video just looks cheaply made.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

I know truth hurts, but you have to deal  :whitney:  :hottie:  :gurl:  :lolliney:  :umadney:  :smokeney:

your set makes me want to vomit in cheryl's mouth every time i see it 

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

Fantastic pop song. Lana should have saved it for a record in the future. I never liked Match Made in Heaven, but I'm glad she was able to re-work it as it had some great lines.

This is actually the first Lana song I ever heard! I heard it because of the Cheryl version, people in the comments saying about Lana version so I checked it out and I hated it at the time bc it was a bad quality pitched YouTube version :eek:

"Got a face like the Madonna crying tears of gold" = good lyric

fq1rcbo.gif

You got a face like the Madonna, crying tears of gold

This line expresses Lana's view of her man: she sees him as someone out of the ordinary, feeling adoration for him that can only be likened to the level of devotion people feel in religious praise. Basically, the guy is really special and above other humans, the crying tears of gold part refers to how even his problems are above what ordinary people have to deal with.

P-pumping gas at the Texaco, road to road
You're on the run, whoa baby
Yeah, you're on the run, whoa baby

Here Lana paints the picture of her bad-boy lover, a common part of her aesthetic, her lover is bad but she loves him anyway.

I'm not a trick boy, I'm a trick for you
You give me butterflies, heart skipping one, two

Lana stands by her man, she is his girl by his side, he doesn't judge him for his behavior and even agrees to help him with his ploys because it makes her feel alive. This is a common theme in Lana's songs that she mentioned in interviews, how she looks for someone who makes her feel "electric", like her heart is in a rush. She loves the excitement of walking the wrong path, "taking a walk on the wild side" for him, and because of him, if you will.

I know you're sick boy, I wanna get the flu

She knows her boyfriend is bad, and she wants to be with him anyway. She stays with him even in his troubles.

I'm running temperatures thinking of your love, boo

She is running temperatures even while thinking of his love. This line expresses that the guy has a strong hold on her, Lana is obsessed. Even just fantasizing about the things they do brings intense pleasure.

Brooklyn, move my soul like this
Kissing my stilettos, move your mouth up to my lips

As we all know, Lana is the Brooklyn Baby, this is the setting where part of their story takes place. (the area was a more run-down part of NY back in the day so it's a good place for someone with criminal activity) Move My Soul, it just refers  to the effect the Ghetto Baby has on Lana: he is bad and it thrills her, makes her feel alive. He kisses her stilettos, meaning he is giving and sensual, Lana enjoys the physical side of their love. The rest of the chorus, the part of the song she repeats throguh the song, is sexual invitation. Lana WANTS the guy, and she does not make it a secret.

Come on over, ghetto baby
(He said, "Show me what you got, girl")
("Drop it like it's hot, girl")

Lana is willing and ready, and the show me what you got girl is a line that is very likely, her guy actually said to her. In a "come over here and show me what you got" kind of way. The drop their troubles and focus on each other, they have sex.

I know your lips say that you wanna
But your heart says no
But boy your hips say that you're gonna
When you hold me hold me, you're so fun
B-baby, you are too much fun, b-baby

This section of the song details their relationship a bit further: the guy is aware that he is bad for her, but Lana is irresistible. He wants to say no and run away but he simply can't, and Lana loves this. She really enjoys his company.

My local rockstar, the Willie B. crew
I feeling you boy, you're liking me too
I'm clockin' chicks left and right just to get to you
You're out there on the grind
Now come home to your queen, boo

Lana's Ghetto Baby is popular with girls, and he hangs around near the Williamsburg Bridge. It's also probably where they met. Willy B is a slang term for the Williamsburg Bridge. The Williamsburg Bridge is a suspension bridge in New York City across the East River connecting the Lower East Side of Manhattan with the Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn.When they met Lana felt an instant attraction and in the end he succesfully caught the guy's attention. Now, even when he is out and he does bad things, Lana has faith in him, that he returns to her.

The chorus is repeated twice. Now the setting is laid down, the characters are placed within their context. The emphasis of the song is on the strong physical attraction they feel towards each other and that is what is emphasized here. The Ghetto Baby is a bad boy, exciting, rebels against the rules. This turns Lana on, makes her feel like life is full of possibilities. She is eager to experience more and more of this.

We're a match made in Heaven
If they're gonna talk, let 'em
If they don't think we're good together
Baby, just forget 'em

Lana strongly believes that she and this guy are the real deal, a soul connection. She doesn't care what anyone has to say about it, she knows it to be true in her heart and that is what matters.

When he's bad, he's bad
But when he's good no one's better
'Cause we're match made in heaven
And this kind of love's forever

These lines emphasize that even though others may talk, they don't know - they don't understand what Lana and this guy have, that their love was decided even before they were born, they are soul mates. It's an emphasis of what a great match they are in Lana's eyes, how much she believes in the relationship.

For the finale we return to the catchy chorus, expressing the main theme of the song again.

Overall, Ghetto Baby seems like a superficial song full of Lana cliches but when you look below the surface it's actually very well-thought out with clever lyrics.

For those interested, here is a picture of the Williamsburg Bridge Lana references in the song

1200px-Above_Williamsburg_Bridge_crop.jp