HawaiianTropic

Lana's Personality Type

Hi everyone! For those of you who have studied/know about the work of Carl Jung/Myers-Briggs, I'd love to hear what you think Lana's personality type is, using the Myers-Briggs type indicator.

I know we've had a thread dedicated to the types of users on this forum, but we never discussed what we think Lana's type is. I've read on external websites but a lot of the posts were made during the BTD/Paradise era, and I don't think at that time we had the best view of Lana's personality, as a lot of people were still making comments about how she's "fake" and "inauthentic" and so on, which I think made a lot of the guesses inaccurate and biased. 

Personally, I think she's either an INFJ or INFP, but I'm not sure which fits her the best. I am an INFJ myself, so I'm not sure if that's subconsciously influencing my typing of her, and possibly making it a biased analysis. I do see a lot of INFJ tendencies in her, but also in some ways, I think she could be an INFP as well. I'll try to explain my typing.

To begin with, she's easily an introvert - I really don't see the point in debating it. She clearly draws her energy from her internal world and this is clear in her art and through the way she acts in her interviews. Plus, she's even stated it herself:

"When you're an introvert like me and you've been lonely for a while, and then you find someone who understands you, you become really attached to them. It's a real release."

"The most important thing is to really have a rich internal world, and live there, because reality will never meet your expectations."

I definitely think she's an iNtuitive and Feeling type. The quote above could also be used to highlight her iNtuitive trait.

She seems to fit this description quite well about the NF (Idealist) temperament:

NF (aka Idealist) musicians tend to create work that has deep meaning, centered around feeling-based values. They’re often very creative and as musicians, they will usually be songwriters. They may have a high degree of skill on their instrument but will most often be more concerned with the creative aspects of their music.

She always states she's a songwriter first, then a singer. I think this is interesting considering the above description.

She's certainly an intuitive person, and you can see that through a lot of her work. She's certainly a feeling type as well, in my opinion. Remember that video of her comforting a crying fan (I believe this took place in France)? Well, she seemed genuinely concerned for her and stayed with her for a while. I think she takes on the emotional state of others. For example, I feel like Ultraviolence is such a dark album because she absorbed a lot of the emotional darkness from Barrie. He was suffering from depression, insomnia and a number of other things that obviously had a negative impact on his mental health, and I think Lana soaked a lot of that energy from him and took it upon herself.

The J and the P is where I struggle to define her. A part of me thinks she's clearly a P. She seems to take things as they come rather than plan miles in advance. The "Ride" video in particular makes me think she's a P. But at the same time, I do believe that she often exaggerates her life, experiences and ideas for the sake of enhancing her music and her art, so it's hard to tell if the "Ride" video is "100% autobiographical" as she always states her music is, or whether there are a number of embellishments and a heap of hyperboles just to make the music more interesting and "cinematic", as she puts it.

The reason I doubt she could be an INFP is because their dominant function is Introverted Feeling, and I feel like Lana has a lot more Extroverted Feeling, especially since she tends to absorb the emotions of those around her, as I stated above. I feel like her intuition is more Introverted than Extroverted as well. Sensing and Thinking I'm not too sure about.

Personally I can only see her as being an INF- type, just unsure about the P/J. I've seen some people type her as an S over N, but I don't see it as much as her intuitive side.

What do y'all think? 

Very interesting thread, and point of view...

I gotta read more but do want to say-

I believe Elizabeth/Lana is, and yes, because of her Trailblazer award at about the same time, all of a sudden realizing the power she has, whereas before she felt she was almost an outsider, wanting in. (but now, with that power, does not want the hit-making part of it, just the satisifaction now known that people who are doing the same thing appreciate what she is doing

(saying that- NOT from a commercial viewpoint, but from an artistic viewpoint. The commercial aspect she doesn't give a shit about).

She has always said she wants to be part of the collective of poets/songwriters/players in the band, that collective is more important than the individual her itself.

Being felt worthy of being in the collective and it is quite possible she now is getting confidence she never was quite sure she had

One thing perhaps in the future as this grows, is will she not for commercial usage, but use the power for chartiable causes. With confidence that she belongs, doing something

charity wise (and one doesn't need to actually do it in the public eye, but (for instance) more finacing for projects like Daniel Johnston and perhaps other things in health issues.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

She has a chameleon soul~

..but believe me when I say that the surveillance we live under is the highest privilege compared to how we treat the rest of the world.

I still think Lana is ISFP.  (Crediting Maru/PUPPY for the initial insight, of course.) Her Feeling seems decidedly introverted -- she wants to be part of a group of artists, but it seems she is willing to go it alone until she finds like-minded individuals, rather than conforming to one that exists or forming one around herself. I agree that her Intuition is introverted, and it is strong, but her extraverted Sensing seems even stronger -- she seems very much in the present (her songwriting is often in-the-moment) and feeling a need to seek out experiences. I strongly suspect her function stack is Fi-Se-Ni-Te (with a strongly developed third function), thus ISFP.

I'm sure enough about the Fi and Ni combination to venture a guess that INTJ (Ni-Te-Fi-Se) is more likely than INFP (Fi-Ne-Si-Te) for Lana. I would be surprised if extraverted Sensing were her "inferior" function... but perhaps that would indicate her willingness to embrace her "dark side" rather than run from it. She does display a lot more warmth than a stereotypical Thinker, but perhaps her middle functions Te and Fi are in balance. A strong extraverted Thinking function would certainly explain her success -- working hard for years until she made it, and remaining satisfied with nothing less than maintaining control of her vision.

(Beyond Myers-Briggs to consider the work of Elaine Aron) I also think Lana is a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP) who tends to be vulnerable to understimulation, rather than overstimulation like the majority of HSPs.

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

Ooooh a bit complicated a topic for me but from what I see, I think she's an introvert but on the other hand, she has this desire to be part of a community and to be loved and appreciated for what she is/does. So she has this sort of unbalance (she's very close to her fans but then again, she sometimes feels quite disconnected). 

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

Interesting read! @@PrettyBaby I've never really thought of Lana as ISFP, but now that you explain it, I think it's quite possible that is her type. I suppose I've just always thought of her Ni as being higher in the list of functions, but I suppose it could just be that her tertiary function is highly developed. And considering that Lana seems to me a most intelligent woman, very in tune with her inner core, it wouldn't surprise me that she's managed to develop her third function to such a level. 

Your explanation of her Fi actually makes a lot of sense as well. Fe types tend to have more expressive personalities, while Fi types tend to be less charismatic and can sometimes appear more "cold" than Fe types - this actually could fit with Lana, especially considering that some people find her "fake" or "plastic" based on her interviews, performances and so on. Fi types also tend to be more private, which in a way fits Lana. I think that she never really likes to open up about details about her life (we all know how contradictory and confusing it is when she tries to recount her past).

Thanks for your insight. I find personality psychology one of the most captivating areas of psychological study and love linking it to real-life people, especially celebrities, since there is so much information available about them. Plus, it'd probably be creepy if I started profiling people I know in reality, and I'd also have no one to discuss my ideas with!  :P 

Lana is battling depression and anxiety and it's obvious that it effects her personality. She seems to me like a deeply insecure person about some things:

1. Her past. Her name change in this preposterous Lana Del Rey moniker is really bothering me after I observed that everybody, even her parents, are referring to her as Lana. Besides the ridiculousness of the situation, it seems to me that she's running away from something an idea which was enforced to me by the many lies that plagued her throughout her career.

2. Her looks. I know, it sounds crazy, given that I googled her just to see her pretty face! I always defended her against plastic surgery accusations but after the recent Poland gig I have to admit that she messed up her face. It's infuriating taking in account that she always was a good looking woman.

3. Her public perception. She is self centered in her work and maybe this personality trait made her swallow every BS written about her which affected her self esteem. I believe that she is the type of celebrity who's reading everything written about them. This is one of the reasons for that she stopped promoting and it's working because the negative (or positive) articles about her are gone. I'm certain that her trolling through music and the way that she behaves sometimes in public (the way she clothes) is a response to some of the negative reactions to her in the press. In contrast, I remember when Woddy Allen, who is accused of pedophilia by his own step-daughter, said that he's not reading anything about himself because it would bothered him in his work. With Lana everything is about herself: how misunderstood and underappreciated she is in the business.

4. I think that she knows that she's not good live. Because of this she looks on stage like someone who never wanted to be there in the first place and she's always running away without giving any encores.

She is a complicated person.

On the one hand she wanted fame, shooting extravagant covers and videos and on the other hand she's is ready to throw everything away by not doing even a minimal promo for her albums.

But at least she has a personality which is distinct from the corporate fakeness of other popstars. Her "fakness" has nothing to do with the business anymore is something more personal, something that maybe we will never be able to fully understand it.

Moreover I was upset at the way she dumped Barrie which made me question her goodness, Barrie was a depressive pain in the ass sometimes but he was there for her when she had it rough and he certainly didn't deserved to be left like this.

After years of obsessively following her online I started to feel sorry for her because she's clearly depressed and unable to put her personal life and career in order. I believe the she needs to put this Lana Del Rey experiment behind her because it will ruin her psychologically. She's a smart woman (she's not a medium worshiping twat) and she is talented, she could develop in a respected songwriter and she could become a respected singer also. She's already a good studio singer and I'm certain that with a proper preparation of her songs and in the right environment (smaller venues) she could became a respected live singer (I hope) named E. Grant.

I’m not as interested in flip-floppers