Jack

Melanie Martinez

4 hours ago, Salem said:

Apparently Mel is still writing with Keenan alongside Kinetics and One Love according to a friend of mine :/ I hope not. 

I don't really mind - as long as she has more diversity in the sound. There are a few songs from K-12 that I really enjoy, so I just hope that if they are still working together, they try and do more with the songs than what they already know.

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

43 minutes ago, Glitter Boy said:

I don't really mind - as long as she has more diversity in the sound. There are a few songs from K-12 that I really enjoy, so I just hope that if they are still working together, they try and do more with the songs than what they already know.

the thing is her working with Keenan again would mean that it wouldnt have diversity. The reason Cry Baby is so much stronger in that sense is because she worked with a large variety of producers, if she does another project with all/most being Keenan there's a 99% chance it'll repeat the same mistake again. I hope its just one or two songs with him... or none at all :teehee:

3 minutes ago, untilsunrise said:

the thing is her working with Keenan again would mean that it wouldnt have diversity. The reason Cry Baby is so much stronger in that sense is because she worked with a large variety of producers, if she does another project with all/most being Keenan there's a 99% chance it'll repeat the same mistake again. I hope its just one or two songs with him... or none at all :teehee:

I'm hoping for none at all ❤ Keenan is kinda known as being an awful producer, he's why Madison Beer struggled for so long. 

4 minutes ago, Salem said:

I'm hoping for none at all ❤ Keenan is kinda known as being an awful producer, he's why Madison Beer struggled for so long. 

tbh I actually like his sound but not for EVERY song, like all the songs he produced are nice to listen to but its too much of the same thing and makes the project as a whole underwhelming regardless of how nice it is to listen to, he never really gives any "wow" moments in his production its just like... ok nice, now what? But Melanie has worked with enough songs with him for now so I really hope MM3 is all other producers + a large variety of different producers so it can serve that bang of flavor cry baby served us

On 1/19/2021 at 10:57 AM, Enchanted Mansion said:

Melanie had started well, and then K12 and After School really turned me off. Cry Baby's releases are much better than K12. This album is definitely a failure. I wait for her in a dark universe and a heavier production, she masters her art to perfection so I don't understand how she can release such bad titles.

I feel this way about After School - the only songs I like are Brain & Heart and The Bakery.

K-12, I like about half the songs but the ones I LOVE (Nurses Office, Strawberry Shortcake, The Principal, Show & Tell, High School Sweethearts, Detention) are amazing to me

Lana Del Rey, Maggie Lindemann, Banks, Melanie Martinez, & Taylor Momsen are my guardian angels 

15 hours ago, Carmen Del Rey said:

(Nurses Office, Strawberry Shortcake, The Principal, Show & Tell, High School Sweethearts, Detention) are amazing to me

Something about Recess never felt like Melanie wrote it. Its so much slower than her other songs and doesn't match the rest of the album nor the rest of her writing. Maybe it's just me but it sounds like the cowriters didn't most or all of the writing. 

15 hours ago, Carmen Del Rey said:

Who wants to play Song vs Song with Melanie Martinez? Should we start a new thread?

I do! Sounds cool. Something like Song vs Song: Melanie Martinez Edition.

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

1 hour ago, Salem said:

Something about Recess never felt like Melanie wrote it. Its so much slower than her other songs and doesn't match the rest of the album nor the rest of her writing. Maybe it's just me but it sounds like the cowriters didn't most or all of the writing. 

The song should have been left out of the album, it feels more like an outtake or like something that would be in separate release but still in the same era. Fire Drill shouldve been in the album in its place but I get that it wasn't and Melanie wanted Fire Drill to be the last song on the album but had to release it separately and use it as the end credits song because of budget, they didnt have enough money to make it so that the school is burned down like it was supposed to (hence some of the snippets showing things going up in flames). You can tell that Recess was supposed to be in the EP or just not be used and that she used it as last resort to keep the album 13 tracks like crybaby. It doesnt even fit in the movie either and its such a bad outro because it feels like what it is, a filler track, and thats a bad way to end an album. It wouldve been good for the EP and was probably meant for the EP, or maybe it was supposed to be what Fire Drill is now, the end credits song that would be released as its own single... which would make alot of sense because it would fit for the end credits very well, lyrically and sonically. 

9 minutes ago, untilsunrise said:

The song should have been left out of the album, it feels more like an outtake or like something that would be in separate release but still in the same era. Fire Drill shouldve been in the album in its place but I get that it wasn't and Melanie wanted Fire Drill to be the last song on the album but had to release it separately and use it as the end credits song because of budget, they didnt have enough money to make it so that the school is burned down like it was supposed to (hence some of the snippets showing things going up in flames). You can tell that Recess was supposed to be in the EP or just not be used and that she used it as last resort to keep the album 13 tracks like crybaby. It doesnt even fit in the movie either and its such a bad outro because it feels like what it is, a filler track, and thats a bad way to end an album. It wouldve been good for the EP and was probably meant for the EP, or maybe it was supposed to be what Fire Drill is now, the end credits song that would be released as its own single... which would make alot of sense because it would fit for the end credits very well, lyrically and sonically. 

That does make sense, and that may be why I never liked the track: It didn't fit, and it wasn't meant to be there. I think recess was never meant to be released, but that's my personal opinion. I also don't think Drama Club, at least, not in its current form, was meant to make the album. 

7 hours ago, Glitter Boy said:

I do! Sounds cool. Something like Song vs Song: Melanie Martinez Edition.

I'll try to make it I've never done this lol. We could do it here but idk if that's annoying to the rest of the thread?

Lana Del Rey, Maggie Lindemann, Banks, Melanie Martinez, & Taylor Momsen are my guardian angels 

23 hours ago, Carmen Del Rey said:

I feel this way about After School - the only songs I like are Brain & Heart and The Bakery.

K-12, I like about half the songs but the ones I LOVE (Nurses Office, Strawberry Shortcake, The Principal, Show & Tell, High School Sweethearts, Detention) are amazing to me

Agree with all these you listed (except nurse's office which is such a shame). But it took me almost a year to get into those on K-12. It all felt so anticlimactic compared to crybaby, but the smoothness of the K-12 songs did come through. It was like how Honeymoon sounded so quiet and empty on the first few listens but the more you played, the more you realised how the sound was just on a different level. Obviously K-12 isn't comparable to Honeymoon but I can appreciate that it's softer and less chaotic than crybaby now. 

And accepting that her sound was changing let me appreciate After School more on first listen, even though Brain & Heart and The Bakery are the only ones I still listen to. 

7 hours ago, Salem said:

That does make sense, and that may be why I never liked the track: It didn't fit, and it wasn't meant to be there. I think recess was never meant to be released, but that's my personal opinion. I also don't think Drama Club, at least, not in its current form, was meant to make the album. 

because drama club leaked around the same time as Schizo, 99c store and Unhappy Meal, I always saw it as a previous demo or standalone because that's where the production fits imo. To me it sounds similar to those other songs. And like you said, even finished on K-12, drama club doesn't fit.

3 hours ago, Ultra Violet said:

because drama club leaked around the same time as Schizo, 99c store and Unhappy Meal, I always saw it as a previous demo or standalone because that's where the production fits imo. To me it sounds similar to those other songs. And like you said, even finished on K-12, drama club doesn't fit.

I think Drama Club was a crybaby outtake that she kinda edited and used for K-12, because it'd the only one with Kinetics and One Love. It fits better with Crybaby than K-12 sonically.