Huntress

Locas: The Maggie & Hopey Stories

Lumberjanes

Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur

Penny Dreadful

Saga

Tank Girl

The Walking Dead

(If you're interested in Batgirl, use this list I made for the best reading order)

Here's some terminology commonly that may be used throughout the thread if it doesn't flop  :hooker:  

Comic books are serialized stories that come in typically weekly, monthly or yearly issues. Most individual comics are relatively short, and typically don't reach over 50 pages. The series are often designed to expand a series for years, even decades. 

Spin-off is when characters within an original comic series get their own separate series. An example of a spin-off comic could be Batgirl. She was originally a character within the Batman series but became popular enough to have her own superior series.

Universe  consists of all of the characters created by one comic company. The most popular universes are DC (DCU) and Marvel (MU)

Crossover is when two or more characters from a universe come together for a one shot or spin-off series. A popular example of this is Suicide Squad which consist of the story of several villains within the Batman series. Sometimes different publishing companies will come together to create a cross over. DC and Marvel have done this several times, most notably Superman vs The Amazing Spiderman and Batman vs The Incredible Hulk.

One-Shot is a comic published as a single standalone issue that has no part of the ongoing series. It is generally used for promotional purposes, to celebrate a historic event or as a fun way to incorporate real life people into the comic universe. A popular example of this is Superman vs Muhammad Ali

Graphic novels are visually formatted in the same way as comics. While comics are designed to have infinite story telling possibilities, graphic novels are designed to tell one story from beginning to end. Graphic novels are usually the length of a standard novel and most don't have spin off series. One of the most popular graphic novels of all time is The Watchmen, though, it does have novels based around the lives of the main characters. 

A lot of times popular and long running comics are collected into different volumes as a way for fans to easily read the series instead of collecting individual comics (which is almost impossible in cases of older comics) Though this may seem like a graphic novel, it's not considered one because of how the comics were originally released. For example, The Walking Dead: Compendium One is a single book consisting of issues 1-48 but is considered a collection of comics, not a graphic novel.  

Mini rant - The Killing Joke is often called a graphic novel or a one-shot when it's not. It's a comic. Since it is based on an already established series and is short and not in a novel form, it's not a graphic novel. It can't be a one-shot comic because the plot of it doesn't start and end within the comic. The Joker does something to Barbara Gordon (Batgirl) which resulted in the development of Oracle and creation of The Birds Of Prey. The Killing Joke was released almost 30 years ago and Barbara Gordon is still effected by the events of it. People who say it's a one shot because it didn't greatly effect Batman or The Joker are wrong. The change it caused Barbara Gordon greatly effected Batman and completely changed the course of his comics and the DC Universe as a whole.  :crossed: 

(This is based on what I know about these, but please correct me if I'm wrong and suggest any additional information) 

Manga is a Japanese graphic novel that is read from right to left. It is almost always black and white with very little color used. 

Manhua is a Chinese comic typically released as single issues that is read from right to left. It is almost always in bright and vibrant color. 

Manhwa is a Korean graphic novel or comic collection that is read from left to right. It is almost always in color, though not as vibrant as manhuas. 

9a32008aa9568555201e3b88bceeef59.jpg

Is the Batgirl series old like from the 60's? I've heard that old comic books are really old fashioned and hard to follow, or is from like the new era of superhero comic? I know this is a problem with Marvel Idk with DC :oprah3:

8nl2OpX.png

Is the Batgirl series old like from the 60's? I've heard that old comic books are really old fashioned and hard to follow, or is from like the new era of superhero comic? I know this is a problem with Marvel Idk with DC :oprah3:

There's different Batgirl series, some older and a newer ongoing one. Different women have taken on the role of Batgirl and each one of them has their own series. You don't really need to read the older series to understand the different Batgirls either so if you want to start with the newest series you won't be too lost. The only thing that may be confusing at first are small references towards previous Batgirls when a new Batgirl takes over, but it's not something that'll confuse the plot.  As long as you know that Barbara Gordon (now Oracle) is the original Batgirl then there shouldn't be much confusion :)

The only confusing thing is that Flashpoint exists which I think caused a parallel reality? It's not mentioned in Batgirl but effected the whole DCU. Tbh it just seemed like a way for them to rehash the older comics for money and fix some of the flaws in the original series. But yeah, because of that there's a parallel reality which resulted in the 2nd telling of the Barbara Gordon's Batgirl which is why there's two different sections for her Batgirl on the list. 

The only graphic novel I've read so far is Persepolis which I enjoyed due to it's format (I also enjoyed the story but I feel it would have been too difficult for me to read if it was in a regular novel format). What are some graphic novels/comics you guys recommend for a casual reader?

Watamote – It's about a weird anxiety ridden introvert high school girl. It gives you a glimpse on people who have severe anxiety and have a really hard time on how to socialize and communicate. As the manga progressed you can notice her improving, not significantly but you can feel that it's a really big step for her. this manga's very cringey but also really fucking funny, and very depressing at the same time. One of the first mangas I've read, it has a special place in my heart.

4BZPaCg.jpg

The only graphic novel I've read so far is Persepolis which I enjoyed due to it's format (I also enjoyed the story but I feel it would have been too difficult for me to read if it was in a regular novel format). What are some graphic novels/comics you guys recommend for a casual reader?

Ghostworld and Death: The High Cost Of Living both are completed and easy to read :) 

Watamote – It's about a weird anxiety ridden introvert high school girl. It gives you a glimpse on people who have severe anxiety and have a really hard time on how to socialize and communicate. As the manga progressed you can notice her improving, not significantly but you can feel that it's a really big step for her. this manga's very cringey but also really :) funny, and very depressing at the same time. One of the first mangas I've read, it has a special place in my heart.

I'll have to check this out  :hdu:

My favourite comics are also some of my favourite books ever and it's Blacksad and De Cape Et De Crocs but I think they're only in French :( Blacksad might be in English tho, he's a black cat private detective and the emotions, colours and drawing are unbelievable

guarnido-blacksad.jpg

De Cape Et De Crocs is a spanish wolf and a french fox that go to the moon, in extremely short. It's my whole childhood. Very last comic just got out and I'm never going to accept it's over

QUIZ_De-Cape-est-de-Crocs_7656.jpeg

ZKcaooE.png

I read Kick Ass 1 and 2 and the Hit Girl spin off (And I actually buyed!  :hairflip: ), Let Me In: Crossroads, a little of the first volume of The Boys and my whole childhood was fullfilled by a comic book franchise called Monica's Gang(I don't know if you know, it's from my country). There is another comic with the Monica's Gang characters, but they are teenagers now, it's called Monica Teen and it's manga-style.

I stopped reading comic books for a while, but I returned some time ago when I felt interest for a tv show I used to watch when I was a kid called Teen Titans. I re-watched almost everything and I discovered that it was based in some characters from a comic book series called New Teen Titans I think, I can't remember anymore. Then I got curious about it (especially to know more about my ship from the tv show, Starfire and Robin  :w8ing: ) and searched to read, but I didn't find  :( . I just got to read one edition and I found another series, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted. I had to fullfill with some pages that I found online and, well, wikipedia.  :rollin: I really want to finish Kick Ass and maybe read another comic book series that I think it was based in fairytale or something like that, I can't remember the name either.  :die: And there is this one that I found some pages on Pinterest and I got curious, but guess what? I didn't find either!  :really: It's called Girls' Love Stories by the way. I think this one and New Teen Titans just got lost over the time, sadly.  :pft:

32c003478b7ec35a4b8ae368a22ebabc5be17593

I read Kick Ass 1 and 2 and the Hit Girl spin off (And I actually buyed!  :hairflip: ), Let Me In: Crossroads, a little of the first volume of The Boys and my whole childhood was fullfilled by a comic book franchise called Monica's Gang(I don't know if you know, it's from my country). There is another comic with the Monica's Gang characters, but they are teenagers now, it's called Monica Teen and it's manga-style.

I stopped reading comic books for a while, but I returned some time ago when I felt interest for a tv show I used to watch when I was a kid called Teen Titans. I re-watched almost everything and I discovered that it was based in some characters from a comic book series called New Teen Titans I think, I can't remember anymore. Then I got curious about it (especially to know more about my ship from the tv show, Starfire and Robin  :w8ing: ) and searched to read, but I didn't find  :( . I just got to read one edition and I found another series, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted. I had to fullfill with some pages that I found online and, well, wikipedia.  :rollin: I really want to finish Kick Ass and maybe read another comic book series that I think it was based in fairytale or something like that, I can't remember the name either.  :die: And there is this one that I found some pages on Pinterest and I got curious, but guess what? I didn't find either!  :really: It's called Girls' Love Stories by the way. I think this one and New Teen Titans just got lost over the time, sadly.  :pft:

Somehow I forgut about Kick Ass! I haven't heard of most of the other ones you mentioned, but you can find download the entire New Teen Titans collection here :)

Somehow I forgut about Kick Ass! I haven't heard of most of the other ones you mentioned, but you can find download the entire New Teen Titans collection here  :)

OMGGGGGGGG!!!!!! Thank you so much, I'm so happy rn!!!  :icant:  :smile:  :kiss3:  :crying4:  :justride2:  :grinds:

32c003478b7ec35a4b8ae368a22ebabc5be17593