Mileena

Paradise - Pre-Release Thread

4. Cola (I really want to love this one but the chorus is so boring... I feel like the full version will have me though. The pre-chorus is amazing and I love the use of the strings there. :))

I can't wait for you to see the light :legend: Personally the chorus is my favorite part. It's such a fucked-up sing-along. I wish she'd actually put words in the "woah-oh" parts because anything could have fit, I would have even forgiven a standard pretty word pairing that makes no sense like Body Electric.

My opinion changed, too, because American used to be my least favorite, but the buildup of each chorus as the song goes on sounds amazing.

I know it's "fucked hard" in Gods & Monsters, but did anyone else hear "looking to get fucktard" the first time? :creep: Maybe this song isn't about sex, but it's about Lana being strung out on dope, in a magical land of Gods & Monsters.. :hooker:

:toofloppy: :toofloppy: :toofloppy:

Does anyone remember when she first talked about "Gods & Monsters" months ago, and the quote was "In the land of gods and angels, I was a monster"? Wonder if she'll say that later in the song, I think it would be a nice--if bleak--twist.

Also, she supposedly changed the end of "Yayo", which has me really nervous for the flawless "hello heaven" bridge.

Snippets in order of how I like 'em:

1. Bel Air

2. Cola (The chorus is fun)

3. American

4. Body Electric

5. Gods and Monsters

6. Yayo

The top 3 I'm sure I'll listen to a lot. Yayo I'm not even sure about, I don't listen to the AKA one very much (but when I do it's an odd dance party in the middle of the kitchen where I run around and chant "Let me put on A SHOWWWW") Cola sounds good, but Bel Air...

Bel Air in full will make me a happy soul. The children laughing in the background is chilling. Everything about the song screams 8mm vintage 50s/60s fading suburbia and loss of innocence to me.

I generally like melodious darkish pop with elaborate production so these snippets sound very good to me. Ride is awesome, Burning Desire very nice. Only Blue Velvet sounds boring to me, but it fits thematically into the set.

Watching all our friends fall in and out of Old Paul's, this is my idea of fun

I generally like melodious darkish pop with elaborate production so these snippets sound very good to me. Ride is awesome, Burning Desire very nice. Only Blue Velvet sounds boring to me, but it fits thematically into the set.

Same.

I know it's "fucked hard" in Gods & Monsters, but did anyone else hear "looking to get fucktard" the first time?

Gorl :whoopi:

I love how feminists want women to have the CHOICE to be as they wish, and that Lana taking the role of a submissive out of her own CHOOSING is being criticized by apparent feminists.

This is the same shit Madonna dealt with during her SEX book days.

Feminists are annoying tbh.

I love how feminists want women to have the CHOICE to be as they wish, and that Lana taking the role of a submissive out of her own CHOOSING is being criticized by apparent feminists.

This is the same shit Madonna dealt with during her SEX book days.

Feminists are annoying tbh.

Rme, I don't think anyone is saying anything about that??? Do you even know what feminists stand for? Not everyone is a radical, but it's an important issue.. don't know why that's 'annoying'

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

Guest Maru the Cat

Rme, I don't think anyone is saying anything about that??? Do you even know what feminists stand for? Not everyone is a radical, but it's an important issue.. don't know why that's 'annoying'

I don't think Coney Island King is taking issue with anything anyone has sent here, but rather what a few critics in the general public seem to have boxed Lana into. See spoiler below.

Her melodies are great, her montage-style music clips are weirdly good, and her video interviews are hilarious if only for the way she stalls for time by drawling the words “thematically, visually, and cinematically” in her bizarre Betty-Boop voice. I also love to hate her. But when examining her misogynistic song lyrics I’m coming to the conclusion that I should probably loathe her.

Exhibit A: Lana’s break-out hit, ‘Video Games‘.

Swinging in the backyard / pull up in your fast car / whistling my name / open up a beer/ and you say get over here/ and play your video game.

I’m in his favourite sun dress / watching me get undressed / take that body downtown / put his favourite perfume on / go play your video game“.

Spritzing on your best eau de toilette so your beau can briefly sniff your neck before staring at a screen for hours on end while he plays Skyrim? This just reminds me of my housewife Grandmother who used to put on a full face of makeup at 5pm before her husband came home to light up a Camel and tell off the kids. Something’s not right in Pleasantville.

And then there’s her song ‘

‘. It sends a chill down my spine, and I’m not talking about the haunting melody.

Let me put on a show for you Daddy / Let me put on a show / Let me put on a show for you Tiger / Let me put on a show“.

And again, from the imaginatively titled ditty, ‘

‘.

You can be the boss Daddy/ You can be the boss“.

Gross.

In ‘This Is What Makes Us Girls‘, Lana gets even creepier.

Know we used to go break in / to the hotel pool, glittering we’d swim / Runnin’ from the cops in our black bikini tops / screaming ‘Get us while we’re hot!’

And then the chorus:

This is what makes us girls, We don’t stick together coz we put love first“.

The fact that she thinks women “don’t stick together” when men are around is a really sad, awful stereotype. Juxtaposed with images of blatant sexualisation posing as anarchy, this song is just a rotten little apple.

And then there’s this one – ‘

‘.

I will love you til the end of time / I would wait a million years/ Promise you’ll remember that you’re mine / Baby can you see through the tears / Love you more / Than those bitches before“.

“Those bitches before?” You seriously say that? Hot tip: really good first step to kicking misogyny in the pants is to stop referring to women as “those bitches”.

O _ O at the above critique.

I do agree with you that to say that feminists are annoying is not cool. There seems to be an unfortunate notion that feminists all are man-haters or that they think women should always be dominant and aggressive or shouldn't be homemakers or whatever. It's not true. A few bad seeds should not affect what anyone thinks about this movement, but it's really unfortunate that this is often the case. :\

And then the chorus:

This is what makes us girls, We don’t stick together coz we put love first“.

The fact that she thinks women “don’t stick together” when men are around is a really sad, awful stereotype. Juxtaposed with images of blatant sexualisation posing as anarchy, this song is just a rotten little apple.

The thing is, I'm not even sure that Lana is either presenting this as a genuine rule, or even just saying oh well, that's the way it is. I mean, she might be doing one of those. But she might be saying, this is the "rule" that is sold to girls and they buy it. (I had a so-called friend inform me of this "rule" once, in similar terms.) In the album version, the music and the effects are so brutal while she's singing, "Don't cry about it, don't cry about it," it's hard for me to come away thinking she's saying this is good or right or necessary.

It IS brutal, but it IS out there already.

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

Guest Maru the Cat

The thing is, I'm not even sure that Lana is either presenting this as a genuine rule, or even just saying oh well, that's the way it is. I mean, she might be doing one of those. But she might be saying, this is the "rule" that is sold to girls and they buy it. (I had a so-called friend inform me of this "rule" once, in similar terms.) In the album version, the music and the effects are so brutal while she's singing, "Don't cry about it, don't cry about it," it's hard for me to come away thinking she's saying this is good or right or necessary.

It IS brutal, but it IS out there already.

My interpretation of it is has always been that she was depicting the attitudes of her and her fellow classmates at that period in their lives, which just so happened to include a willingness to desert friends to pursue adolescent love. Maybe she is presenting it as a "rule" sold to girls -- I like this idea -- but not as one being endorsed or supported. It certainly doesn't sound like it, as you said.

My interpretation of it is has always been that she was depicting the attitudes of her and her fellow classmates at that period in their lives, which just so happened to include a willingness to desert friends to pursue adolescent love. Maybe she is presenting it as a "rule" sold to girls -- I like this idea -- but not as one being endorsed or supported. It certainly doesn't sound like it, as you said.

Yeah, I always viewed it as her and her friends attitudes, not some overall general concept girls should buy into or any of that.

Also, she supposedly changed the end of "Yayo", which has me really nervous for the flawless "hello heaven" bridge.

WHAT. WHERE DID YOU HEAR THIS. SHE BETTER NOT FUCK WITH MY "dark night" MOMENT, I SWEAR TO GOD.

14417469274.gif

What? Really? No one likes yayo? I think this version sounds so jazzy and old and it's one of my favourites so far :flutter:

I agree with you, but she really screwed with the chorus in a bad way IMO. I think the Loon goes so well with her voice and the music, and there better be a heartbreaking "dark night" moment in this version, equipped with beautiful emotion and plenty of Loon.

14417469274.gif

Guest Maru the Cat

I agree with you, but she really screwed with the chorus in a bad way IMO. I think the Loon goes so well with her voice and the music, and there better be a heartbreaking "dark night" moment in this version, equipped with beautiful emotion and plenty of Loon.

Everyone knows the meowing cat in Carmen is much better. :imbeingsarcasticbitch2:

Everyone knows the meowing cat in Carmen is much better. :imbeingsarcasticbitch2:

YES. THANK YOU. THANK YOU MARU! IT IS.

The meowing cat in Carmen is PERFECT. You don't understand my love for that meowing cat. It's like hearing the mental screams and anguish of Carmen, it's like a psychological thriller. THAT MEOWING CAT DESERVES AN AWARD.

Guest Maru the Cat

YES. THANK YOU. THANK YOU MARU! IT IS.

The meowing cat in Carmen is PERFECT. You don't understand my love for that meowing cat. It's like hearing the mental screams and anguish of Carmen, it's like a psychological thriller. THAT MEOWING CAT DESERVES AN AWARD.

BEST POST ON THE ENTIRE FORUM, RIGHT HERE.

What just happened. O____O

You're both bonkers. That cat made a one-time appearance, and for good reason; it sucked. The Loon has been around for many-a-song, and has shit its beautiful shit all over the Paradise Edition. Besides, the Loon has its own awesome accomplice that dominates the cat anyway, and that would be the Random Screaming Chick in Gods & Monsters.

Suck it.

14417469274.gif

Guest Maru the Cat

What just happened. O____O

You're both bonkers. That cat made a one-time appearance, and for good reason; it sucked. The Loon has been around for many-a-song, and has shit its beautiful shit all over the Paradise Edition. Besides, the Loon has its own awesome accomplice that dominates the cat anyway, and that would be the Random Screaming Chick in Gods & Monsters.

Suck it.

Banning your posting abilities right now, tbh.

surgeries.gif