Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

257 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

Those were the demo stems. Pretty sure the album version doesn't feature any strings and I don't think anyone has the stems for the album version either.

Hey, I think the stems you're referring to are the demo stems, not the stems of the actual track that was released :)

RIP  :hide:  (but now I need that demo)

im......i......my acne is cured. I am no longer depressed.

Wait, Im depressed again bc Someone needs to leak the full version of this love mix. I CANT

We need another leak spree ASAP

"And when you see my face on every billboard and TV screen, you'll regret the day you walked away" :lanahairflip3: :legend:

im......i......my acne is cured. I am no longer depressed.

Wait, Im depressed again bc Someone needs to leak the full version of this love mix. I CANT

We need another leak spree ASAP

the strings are so dramatic and heavy and lush and loud

it's like the antithesis to Honeymoon's strings

also this just rekindled my desire for that summertime sadness alt version god fucking damnit i eased myself off of that :defeated: 

SS is in my middle section for songs i love off of BtD but that version would easily be top 4 :crai:

I know it's a dumb question, but.. What is a stem?

afaik think of it as one of the pieces to an instrumental, there's many stems so like for BtD theoretically you have her voice, the backing vocals, the strings, the drums, etc. all of those pieced together would be the full song- the stems are the individual pieces that make it up (iirc dont murder me but thts prob right)

tbh LIB would've been an amazing closer after get free

58c308bd1d000027007cdc4c.gif

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

tbh LIB would've been an amazing closer after get free

58c308bd1d000027007cdc4c.gif

Yea. Get free was the closer of all closers. All though I'm kinda disappointed she didn't end the album with a cover of Nina Simone's "Feeling Good", I'm whole heartedly content with get free.

"And when you see my face on every billboard and TV screen, you'll regret the day you walked away" :lanahairflip3: :legend:

Just some interesting thoughts based off of interviews from Lana and Rick.

In late 2015, Lana said that the follow up album to Honeymoon would go in a different direction while retaining the same aesthetic. This is evidenced by songs like BAR (which a lot of people compared to TBD) and the descriptions of 2016 demos by Eclipse. I assume the original production of LFL was done in a similar vein as Dean Reid mentioned that the first demo for the song was an ominous sounding ballad. Rick said that there wasn't an actual concept at the beginning. That it was just a collection of songs. Heroin was probably written around this time too considering it's darker sound. She also mentioned that it was one of the first songs written for the record.
So based off these 3 songs alone (Heroin, BAR, LFL demo), you can kind of imagine what the early sound of the album was like before songs like Love came along.

Eclipse received the Love demo in April 2016 so it was probably written and produced around that time. Lana mentioned how the sound of LFL got really updated because of the political landscape. The Love music video was filmed in July that year which means the final version of the song was produced sometime between April and July if the timelines are correct.

There's at least 3 demos of Lust for Life (without The Weeknd)
Lust for Life (First demo)
"The original song was a long ballad with pads and vocals."
Lust for Life (Max Martin demo)
"..and then Max’s crew rearranged it into more of a pop structure with beats."
Lust for Life (Demo based off of Max Martin's mix)
"..then Lana wanted to do more of a ’50s doo‐wop style spoken‐word thing in the verses, so Kieron programmed a beat for that section with a more Motown sound, and we recorded her new spoken‐word vocals, plus the transition into the chorus, which sounds a lot more like Max’s demo."
About The Weeknd feature:
"Once we had the verses, the song was pretty much up and running, and then one night Abel came in, and worked with Rick and Lana and Kieron, and they replaced a number of vocal lines. They also did a lot of ad‐libbing and sang the duet part. I then added some bass and guitar parts.”

I need to hear the demo with sung verses. I find it funny that one of the most pop sounding tracks on LFL started with a more unconventional and darker sound. Also, I'm curious as to how many other demos there are with orchestral productions. The only other song that we know of with predominant strings is Something Real.
I'll link it if I find it but I specifically remember an interview with her talking about how she took the strings out because it sounded silly or something.