Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

260 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

omg just realized how the journey ends

"Freedom to live. Freedom to live means freedom from negative emotions which pull the hero away from living in the moment. Negative emotions such frustration, sadness, shame, fear, depression, doubt and despair are banished and instead he is able to celebrate the victory"

She Gets Free. That's where the title came from. 

SIS YOU JUST LEFT ME WIGLESS

i will love you until the end of time.

okay so if this theory is true; does this mean just for this particular record? 

Or is it going to be the future now; where she sings all happy, all positive? 

im not sure abt the first line but i feel like she reeeaaallllyyyy kinda comitted to things that aren't gonna always be her strong suit or what she should be doing. By picking her smiling on the cover, every interviewer asked about that as a big note, to the positivity from Love, Lust For Life, Groupie Love, Change, Get Free etc. If she goes back to anything like BtD or UV she'll be seen as a fraud and rehashing her old material- and with her doing political songs, if she doesn't keep at least 1 or 2 shes gonna be called a shill and fake ally, only caring about politics when it could sell. 

it kinda backed her into a legit corner lmao

im not sure abt the first line but i feel like she reeeaaallllyyyy kinda comitted to things that aren't gonna always be her strong suit or what she should be doing. By picking her smiling on the cover, every interviewer asked about that as a big note, to the positivity from Love, Lust For Life, Groupie Love, Change, Get Free etc. If she goes back to anything like BtD or UV she'll be seen as a fraud and rehashing her old material- and with her doing political songs, if she doesn't keep at least 1 or 2 shes gonna be called a shill and fake ally, only caring about politics when it could sell. 

This makes me annoyed and sad...

like I felt this album was for the "fans" and now journalists maybe would pick at her if she went deeper to the relatable sad stuff again... 

She used to NOT CARE about the critics but I feel she does now... unfortunately... 

but I didn't STAN Lana for her political tunes, I get that everyday with the news... like I get she wants to be good but like ... idk 

omg just realized how the journey ends

"Freedom to live. Freedom to live means freedom from negative emotions which pull the hero away from living in the moment. Negative emotions such frustration, sadness, shame, fear, depression, doubt and despair are banished and instead he is able to celebrate the victory"

She Gets Free. That's where the title came from. 

she doesn't have freedom from everything considering she had to axe a song in fear of ruining her career. and btw lana didn't have science in mind. the original title of get free was Malibu. How is Malibu = science?

:woot: giphy.gif :woot:

Also the kind of trap infused production is not a trend, its not timeless at all. I just feel like this album will stick out weirdly in her discography going forward

I think she'll still manage to combine positivity with a dash of melancholy, i think that's going to be her new sound. Something along the lines of Love.

Positive words with a sad melody

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Maybe the album will be something we don't expect. Yes, there's the Get Free attitude that we have to look forward to, but maybe there's other elements that we won't see coming. LFL itself was kind of unexpected when she first dropped the political theme. Idk, I trust her.

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

she doesn't have freedom from everything considering she had to axe a song in fear of ruining her career. and btw lana didn't have science in mind. the original title of get free was Malibu. How is Malibu = science?

It's not strictly science. I just joke about it because of the Campbell connection. Although she has repeatedly stated her influence from vintage/retro scifi and horror in this era. We don't know the original lyrics when it was Malibu, either. It could be an entire concept shift. 

Also, it's just that. A concept. Of course her journey isn't completely done, she's human and neither she, nor anyone else in real life, reaches 100% fruition of their goals and dreams wtf. But the language directly indicates inspiration from a literary perspective (again, this doesn't have to be strictly science. And she references literature all the time)

okay so if this theory is true; does this mean just for this particular record? 

Or is it going to be the future now; where she sings all happy, all positive? 

It'd be too optimistic to think that someone in their thirties has everything figured out. 

That's why I personally think LfL was more based around a character concept rather than her actual life. Her newfound happiness certainly inspired things, but by crafting a fantastical character attached to the concept (who lives in the Hollywood sign, sings on the moon, etc), she's able to detach her everyday self from the concept. Unfortunately, some critics aren't seeing that, and will now expect her to be happy forever and ever and ever

So I realized the nerdiest shit ever here we go 

GifsPro-iddoldol001962-Close-up-of-male-

in Get Free, when Lana sings "I'm crossing the threshold from the ordinary world to the reveal of my heart", she's literally referring to the character arch of a heroic character in literature/fantasy as written by joseph campbell 

f6a16a1b6b3aba6a42ba81c25eed6d89.jpg

Joseph Campbell was one of the forefathers and most influential writers during the Golden Age of Science Fiction, working with authors such as Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein as chief editor of Astounding Science Fiction magazine. 

GifsPro-iddoldol001961-Close-up-of-man-d

Which leads to a very nerdy proposition as to how Lana really got her name

150px-Del_Rey_logo.png

Yeah, that's right. Only the biggest science fiction publication company of the 20th century. 

It's not strictly science. I just joke about it because of the Campbell connection. Although she has repeatedly stated her influence from vintage/retro scifi and horror in this era. We don't know the original lyrics when it was Malibu, either. It could be an entire concept shift. 

Also, it's just that. A concept. Of course her journey isn't completely done, she's human and neither she, nor anyone else in real life, reaches 100% fruition of their goals and dreams wtf. But the language directly indicates inspiration from a literary perspective (again, this doesn't have to be strictly science. And she references literature all the time)

It'd be too optimistic to think that someone in their thirties has everything figured out. 

That's why I personally think LfL was more based around a character concept rather than her actual life. Her newfound happiness certainly inspired things, but by crafting a fantastical character attached to the concept (who lives in the Hollywood sign, sings on the moon, etc), she's able to detach her everyday self from the concept. Unfortunately, some critics aren't seeing that, and will now expect her to be happy forever and ever and ever

STARGIRL. YOU. ARE. A. GENIUS.

My mind is BLOWN and now my appreciation of Get Free (and LFL album) has gone THROUGH THE ROOF

giphy.gif ldrclashsmall3.png

i dont know why y'all gagging @@Stargirl brings it to you every season 

Where's Yosemite