Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

260 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

there's a difference between being open and honest about your opinion and views and being tasteless and intentionally offensive babe  

and who is to judge what is "intentional offensive" babe? You basically say that "speak your mind...only don't do it if it's gonna offend me". In fact being offensive depends on the person who reads it. Some people find it offensive and some don't find offensive and they do agree with the said post. So just because some people find it offensive then it turns automatically invalid?

Like I said and it keeps getting proved in fact here. "opinions" are allowed here as long people agree with it.if they won't then it suddenly is not allowed.Hilarious how that works.

"tasteful" ? oh yeah cause Lana singing about domestic violence, pedophilia/jailbait and using the Jonestown massacre as the influence for UV/Freak video & Manson murders is tasteful rite? I'm sure Sharon's sister and the thousands of families affected by Jonestown would find it very tasteful!

Not to mention that Lana is a huge eminem fan.Tastefulness and offensiveness goes out the window right there.

I will give u an example. Some people were very offended by the chola appropriation in Tropico. Others aren't. Does that make Tropico universally bad just bc some people disagree with it?

Does it make Lana's music bad bc some people disagree with the way she sings about her relationships with men?

Food for thought :hooker:

:woot: giphy.gif :woot:

I think im starting to like Lust for Life more than Honeymoon now, as much as i adore HM and its always been one of my favorites. The diversity and different elements in LFL keep it a little more interesting. I like how you have a song from every era, i like that it keeps it fun and silly whilst also talking about important subjects and engaging in politics. It's quite a wild ride, and it also has her most beautiful closer.

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

and who is to judge what is "intentional offensive" babe? You basically say that "speak your mind...only don't do it if it's gonna offend me". In fact being offensive depends on the person who reads it. Some people find it offensive and some don't find offensive and they do agree with the said post. So just because some people find it offensive then it turns automatically invalid?

Like I said and it keeps getting proved in fact here. "opinions" are allowed here as long people agree with it.if they won't then it suddenly is not allowed.Hilarious how that works.

"tasteful" ? oh yeah cause Lana singing about domestic violence, pedophilia/jailbait and using the Jonestown massacre as the influence for UV/Freak video & Manson murders is tasteful rite? I'm sure Sharon's sister and the thousands of families affected by Jonestown would find it very tasteful!

Not to mention that Lana is a huge eminem fan.Tastefulness and offensiveness goes out the window right there.

I will give u an example. Some people were very offended by the chola appropriation in Tropico. Others aren't. Does that make Tropico universally bad just bc some people disagree with it?

Does it make Lana's music bad bc some people disagree with the way she sings about her relationships with men?

Food for thought :hooker:

We don't know Lana's history with domestic violence, so who are we to judge if she chooses to write about it in a song? It could have helped her cope at the time.

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

We don't know Lana's history with domestic violence, so who are we to judge if she chooses to write about it in a song? It could have helped her cope at the time.

you missed the point of my post.

We actually do know about it. Lana herself said that UV line isn't true in her pitchfork interview if I remember right? Correct me If I'm wrong about that one.

I never said I have an issue with Lana writing about domestic violence and whatnot, I don't have any problem with it in fact I welcome it. My point in my post is, that person mid july I quoted tried to tell me that speaking our minds doesn't count when it's tasteless and offensive. Singing about domestic violence (comparing being hit to a kiss) could be viewed upon as tasteless and offensive by many ppl.  As well as everything else I mentioned in my previous post which you missed. Does that make a majority of Lana's art not count then?

yes, because glamorizing domestic abuse is totally better because it helped her "cope".

let me guess singing in Florida Kilos helped her cope with her coke addiction?

you missed the point of my post.

We actually do know about it. Lana herself said that UV line isn't true in her pitchfork interview if I remember right? Correct me If I'm wrong about that one.

I never said I have an issue with Lana writing about domestic violence and whatnot, I don't have any problem with it in fact I welcome it. My point in my post is, that person mid july I quoted tried to tell me that speaking our minds doesn't count when it's tasteless and offensive. Singing about domestic violence (comparing being hit to a kiss) could be viewed upon as tasteless and offensive by many ppl.  As well as everything else I mentioned in my previous post which you missed. Does that make a majority of Lana's art not count then?

I apologize if I sort of jumped on your post while ignoring the rest. I myself didn't know she said that line never happened in her personal life. I suppose my point was that we don't know why she chose to write about that. I'm sure that song does have personal meaning to her, otherwise I don't see why she would write it in the first place. As for the stuff about pedophilia in Put Me In A Movie and Lolita, I do agree that it is in questionable taste. But Lana has never really been known for being "politically correct" (hate using that term lol), especially back then. 

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

The beautiful thing about art is that it’s in the eye of the beholder. You’re free to interpret it literally.

Plus, it’s obvious that artists tend to exaggerate in order to create a certain image. And in Lana’s case, her style of writing works when it comes to creating controversy, irrespective of whether it’s her intention or not.

The beautiful thing about art is that it’s in the eye of the beholder. You’re free to interpret it literally.

Plus, it’s obvious that artists tend to exaggerate in order to create a certain image. And in Lana’s case, her style of writing works when it comes to creating controversy, irrespective of whether it’s her intention or not.

I agree! here, my interpenetration is she's talking about chem trails and how is a fighter pilot for the government but doesn't understand what she's doing

White lines, pretty baby, tattoos

Don't know what they mean

They're special, just for you

White palms, baking powder on the stove

Cooking up a dream, turning diamonds into snow

I feel you, pretty baby, feel me

Turn it up hot, loving you is free

I like it down, like it down way low

But you already know that

You already know

what a powerful peace!

I agree! here, my interpenetration is she's talking about chem trails and how is a fighter pilot for the government but doesn't understand what she's doing

White lines, pretty baby, tattoos

Don't know what they mean

They're special, just for you

White palms, baking powder on the stove

Cooking up a dream, turning diamonds into snow

I feel you, pretty baby, feel me

Turn it up hot, loving you is free

I like it down, like it down way low

But you already know that

You already know

what a powerful peace!

Very interesting “interpenetration“

yes, because glamorizing domestic abuse is totally better because it helped her "cope".

let me guess singing in Florida Kilos helped her cope with her coke addiction?

Lana herself has said in an interview that the entire LDR is an image, an aesthetic. Most of the stuff she writes about is just for the aesthetic. Most of it isn't true, it's an image. What she does is taking real life situations and exaggerating them for art. Not just her of course, many artists do that.

I apologize if I sort of jumped on your post while ignoring the rest. I myself didn't know she said that line never happened in her personal life. I suppose my point was that we don't know why she chose to write about that. I'm sure that song does have personal meaning to her, otherwise I don't see why she would write it in the first place. As for the stuff about pedophilia in Put Me In A Movie and Lolita, I do agree that it is in questionable taste. But Lana has never really been known for being "politically correct" (hate using that term lol), especially back then. 

Don't worry, to me it seems that you still don't get my point of my previous posts to be honest.Thing is that with Lana in general as an artist, what she basically does is taking real life situations and exaggerating them for the aesthetic she chooses. I'm not denying of course that there might be some truth in some of her songs but what she does is using bits of that truth and adding more to it herself. Some truth and some lies/made up stuff. That's the point anyway of her entire image, the aesthetic she is following.

But! That wasn't my point. Let's ignore for a second about "what is truth and what is fake" in her songs, any songs, or all her songs. My point was/still is:

The majority of her songs, I will mention specifically for my point the songs about domestic violence/pedophilia/jonestown massacre/jailbait etc etc can be seen as by some people as tasteless/offensive. Some people DO see them as tasteless/offensive and some people don't!

My argument is that since the other member told me that "our opinions don't matter/don't count if it's offensive/tasteless" then does that apply for Lana's music too since it's tasteless/offensive for some people? Not to mention that Lana is a huge eminem fan.Tastefulness and offensiveness goes out the window right there. Some people were very offended by the chola appropriation in Tropico. Others aren't. Does that make Tropico universally bad just bc some people disagree with it?

Maybe this is the wrong topic for discussion, but I wonder why it was decided to put feat. Lana Del Rey on GSOYB and not Blue Madonna where she sings more than just a backup? :crossed:

to get more attention

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e