Elle

Music Video Premiere: "Lust for Life (feat. The Weeknd)"

I'm a simple girl. A smiling Lana makes me happy.

Might not have been the most exciting video I've seen, but Lana and Abel seemed so cute together... I couldn't help but loving the video, hehe. ♥ And hey, Lana actually danced in the video! That's kinda cute too!

I actually liked the video.  :blush2:

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

I feel you..I'm pretty sure Gandalf blows a ship out of pipe smoke in Lord Of The Rings at some point, so that might be the association for me.

78944b08-24cb-4209-bac6-0c6525b99222-inl

confirmdt

wjb0sky.gif

I think earlier I said I didn't like it but I was on my way to the clinic so I didn't have time to explain.

Basically it's just really boring to me. They spend what, 3+ minutes on her and The Weeknd sitting on the sign doing nothing in particular? If there were cuts between her on the sign and her doing the choreography.I think that would've been more compelling and interesting. Good production value but really not much as far as plot. MTWBT suffered the same issue but at least it was more dynamic than this.

... To go nowhere in particular (since it's continuation of Love MV)  :creep:

giphy.gifTwitter: johndelferro

Okay here's my thought out theory get ready for this 

Obviously something happens to separate Lana from Abel, or the future Lana we see here (LfL trailer) wouldn't be alone 

tumblr_onla4x0Inu1rdpjfqo1_540.gif

this is future lana. She's obviously very mature and wise, maybe hundreds or thousands of years old. She's dedicated most of her time to helping humanity, somehow using magic/witch powers by literally sending love/good vibes down to Earth.

Hmmm.... down to Earth. We see in the Lust for Life video that the Hollywood sign (as in real life) is quite thin). There's no way Lana actually lives in the Hollywood sign.

PERHAPS... the H of the Hollywood sign is a part of the replica... on the moon. She had such an establishment built as a homage to Abel, who had shown her the light and her lust for life right there on the Hollywood sign. But what happened to him...?

Lana_Del_Rey_-_Love_video_news_Under_the

Judging by the title "When the World was at War We Kept Dancing", in this future the Earth might be in the midst of war, and she might not be able to help without considerable distance (or her powers could be used for bad, perhaps. Who knows what kind of war this is. Perhaps a spiritual war?). Remember the book Lana read back in like, 2011, mentioned in this article? (http://www.thefader.com/2011/10/21/what-were-reading-lana-del-rey). It's called Forbidden Gates: How Genetics, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Synthetic Biology, Nanotechnology, and Human Enhancement Herald The Dawn Of TechnoDimensional Spiritual Warfare. A mouthful, right. 

Lana herself states about the book that "we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing—from understanding cybernetics, to learning that living organisms are now being created synthetically. In my world, life has always been more than music and art; it's about science and understanding where we come from."

I think Lana, in this mythos, plays a tremendous role in this technodimensional spiritual warfare. And she's on the side of the angels. 

So, where does all of this come in? Perhaps this era is an alternate reality, in which cybernetics/robotics have taken off and it's possible for the very wealthy, perhaps, to put themselves into synthetic bodies so that they can live forever. But the war could have come from a divide of the classes and a possible malfunction of these bodies. Maybe Lana stood up for the majority of the world, despite being gifted all the futuristic advancements in the future money can buy, and she was able to advance herself beyond as she lived longer and longer. Maybe Abel wasn't so lucky, and in this massive hijack, he ended up being killed. 

If you can't already tell, I write scifi as a hobby. But I feel like this would be a really interesting meaning for the era to take on. 

I also appreciated the connecting sequence to Love-- my theory, like others that've posted here, is that the Love video is what's taking place in her mind as she's performing in the LFL video, ostensibly for TV. I think she and Abel represent almost god-like characters (I don't feel that they're dead, necessarily), and their jump off the sign is not suicide, but descending "down to Earth" to bring their message to the youth of America. It's almost a Ziggy Stardust-type setup, imo-- an alien/supernatural singer comes to Earth to spread a message of peace and love to a troubled and receptive group of young people. I really like the concept, and I'm enjoying seeing how the various themes Lana's presented thus far (1960s, witchcraft, peace/love, space) are tying together. 

Loved your entire post. That is a very interesting theory. Although given Lana's past songs and videos, it's hard not to think about a more sinister meaning. But I'd prefer your interpretation.

The only thing that somehow bothers me is that motorbike at the beginning of the song. Can someone explain it to me, or is it just randomly there??

The only thing that somehow bothers me is that motorbike at the beginning of the song. Can someone explain it to me, or is it just randomly there??

I wanna say it's a little nod to the Shangri-Las/girl group vibe she's going for-- the Shangri-Las' famous hit "Leader of the Pack" is about a girl's motorcyclist boyfriend who dies in a crash. Plus, she semi-references the Angels' hit "My Boyfriend's Back" in the lyrics. :) 

o4qjp4j.png

I wanna say it's a little nod to the Shangri-Las/girl group vibe she's going for-- the Shangri-Las' famous hit "Leader of the Pack" is about a girl's motorcyclist boyfriend who dies in a crash. Plus, she semi-references the Angels' hit "My Boyfriend's Back" in the lyrics. :)

It makes a little more sense.. Although I'm worried about ppl like me, who didn't know about it :D

It makes a little more sense.. Although I'm worried about ppl like me, who didn't know about it :D

That's true, lol. I happen to be a big fan of 60's girl groups, which is why I made the connection-- then again, I don't think anyone will miss any of the song's meaning without knowing that ;) It's a cute lil nod, though

o4qjp4j.png

The video was shot around April 8-10

Lana posted this with Alex and Ashley on the 8th: https://www.instagram.com/p/BSo6OuJFBOH/?taken-by=lanadelrey&hl=en

The Weeknd posted this on the 10th (he's wearing the outfit from the vid and has a camera emoji in his caption): https://www.instagram.com/p/BSuLi2ig2qn/?taken-by=theweeknd&hl=en

Guys, I've just realized this: When Abel hugs Lana, he sings: "Blue skies forever". It's like he's convincing her to slide down, telling her that it's a better place where he is and that she should join him. (OFC if we assume that he's ghost in the video)