Elle

Music Video Premiere: "Lust for Life (feat. The Weeknd)"

First of all the "albino guy" is a well accomplished model int he fashion industry named Shaun Ross. He was also in Katy Perry's ET Music Video a few years prior. And Tropico in it's entirety, the thematics, the story progression, and the people in it as a whole was anything but "cringy" (that word in itself is gross). It is to this day Lana or not, the most beautiful short music film ever made in my humble opinion. And lana can dance, have you seen her concert videos her fans take? She was playing it cute and safe, she couldn't makeout with him or dry hump because he's dating that Flop.

The pope is a walking pile of shit.

When did I ever say I dislike Tropico or that albino model? It was her magnum opus & I love it. You're just assuming things. I just mentioned this little dance sequence which was kinda awkward (https://media3.giphy.com/media/tQlK4PTtYadYQ/giphy.gif). I also praised her dance in LFL video (I just didn't enjoy the weeknd part, but that's just my personal opinion). Read carefully what I wrote before giving me that essay.

I think my favourite part of the video (besides the part where she runs across the sign and almost jumps before Abel saves her) is that she's wearing a red version of a dress she wore twice in 2014. I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but little UV era throwbacks make me so happy & hit me with the greatest nostalgia :flutter:

I need to hunt down this dress. I've been obsessed with it since she first wore it.. def one of my favourite dresses of hers!

51078409333_82ee37c21a_b.jpg

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

I didn't interpret it as her killing herself but coming down to the rest of the world instead of being "in her own world" on top of the Hollywood sign

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

On 5/22/2017 at 11:02 PM, Elle said:

I think my favourite part of the video (besides the part where she runs across the sign and almost jumps before Abel saves her) is that she's wearing a red version of a dress she wore twice in 2014. I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but little UV era throwbacks make me so happy & hit me with the greatest nostalgia :flutter:

I need to hunt down this dress. I've been obsessed with it since she first wore it.. def one of my favourite dresses of hers!

I love how she is keeping every era "alive & breathing"...

shake it up, throw your hands up and get L O O S E 

I've asked all of my friends and even I agree, the video is perfect, but the first minute is the best part. After that, I skip through to the highlights. It's a very underwhelming music video, and she truly fed my/my friends favorite lyrics to dust ("We dance on the H of the Hollywood sign") because she didn't even dance. 

SizzlingThornyIndigobunting-size_restric

The first minute was cute, if highlighting the fact Lana is a stiff dancer, then after that it got really boring. I don't really like her videos after Paradise. They may have been self-important and pretentious, but they seemed to be more interesting and at least consistently 'her' (as shown by the fact we can make of fun of them for the same things, while people dislike UV and HM era vids for different reasons). Her home videos were really cute. She seems to have gotten less interested in her music videos as time goes by? Maybe her taste changed?

Anyway she looked super cute in that dress, hmu if you find a similar one online.

This is one of my favorite outfits lana's ever wore, it gives me such an american lolita vibe, it's so cute beyond words and the color against her hair with the ribbon in her hair im SHOOK

And the running across the sign scene is the best thing she's ever had in a music video i was defeated tbh I keep watching it it's SO well shot and just works so well and she's so cute and if you disagree you're a joke 

i'm floored my queen

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_1h0d6zmin8g0

This is one of my favorite outfits lana's ever wore, it gives me such an american lolita vibe, it's so cute beyond words and the color against her hair with the ribbon in her hair im SHOOK

And the running across the sign scene is the best thing she's ever had in a music video i was defeated tbh I keep watching it it's SO well shot and just works so well and she's so cute and if you disagree you're a joke 

i'm floored my queen

The beginning is so fucking good, and the running and sliding parts are my other highlights. 

The beginning is so fucking good, and the running and sliding parts are my other highlights. 

actual footage of me the moment i saw the dance and then SHE FUCKING RUNS UP STAIRS AND SHOWS OFF THOSE LACE GLOVES

i can't 

i'm not strong enough

178e4503ed7a07814366ae7cf327f58d.gif

actual footage of me the moment i saw the dance and then SHE FUCKING RUNS UP STAIRS AND SHOWS OFF THOSE LACE GLOVES

i can't 

i'm not strong enough

178e4503ed7a07814366ae7cf327f58d.gif

Oh my god same! I literally didn't know what to think when she started poppin up and down, and then it zoomed out to show her backup dancers. That was the only time I've every truly appreciated the backup dancers. 

Oh my god same! I literally didn't know what to think when she started poppin up and down, and then it zoomed out to show her backup dancers. That was the only time I've every truly appreciated the backup dancers. 

Yeah before I always found them super cringe and awkward but it was EVERYTHING in this music video

My interpretation: 

Lana is embodying Peg Entwistle (a famous US entertainment star in the 1930s who famously jumped off the Hollywood sign). The video starts off with the storm inside Lana's eyes, foreshadowing the chaotic war in her mind she is so known for. The video then pans onto a stage where Lana is dancing and singing (to represent Peg who started as a successful Broadway star). It then pans to the second part of Peg's life, a lot more tragic, as she moved to Hollywood to try to make it big on the silver screen - Lana runs into the analog noise on screen toward Hollywood. However, due to the hardship of failing stardom there, Peg becomes disillusioned with life after trying to make it in Hollywood. Lana is now in Hollywood, facing that same disillusion as she climbs the Hollywood sign. 

I see the entire sequence atop the Hollywood sign as a dance between living with the mindset that you were Born To Die or living with a Lust For Life. There is tension between Abel and Lana, but also love and lust which Abel is on the side of. Lana makes a break for it and wants to end her life even after Abel is trying to show her the joys of life, converting her ribbon into a dreamy mystical sailboat. Lana sees the end of the Hollywood sign as the end of her "run" in Hollywood and life.Peg would've jumped here, as would anyone who had become too distraught and dark about their own life or the chaos of the world around them - much like the chaos of our modern times.

But, Abel is there to catch her and reminds her of the joy and love in life. She turns the end of Hollywood sign (a symbol of death) on it's head, converting it into the frivolous and childish act of swinging down the slide - thus embracing life with a symbol of birth and youth, which has two conclusions

• a) ends in death, we will all die anyway, but her joy is immortalised
  • b) or is her entering the world again after withdrawing, and being ready to embrace life's limitless possibilities 

The hair on his head was white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire.

I'm surprised at the number of people thinking she kills herself, it's a thought that didn't occur to me (which of course doesn't mean it's wrong haha).

But as I see it, she might at first want to jump from the hollywood sign but instead, Abel encourages to chose an option that wouldn't harm her, and they both end up happily ever after in the field.

I liked the video, I felt something when she got up and started jumping from letter to letter, a sort of desire to risk it all from her part. The sliding scène didn't do it for me, it felt a bit funny tbh but overal, I think there are nice shots and a nice theme throughout the video...

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

I'm surprised at the number of people thinking she kills herself, it's a thought that didn't occur to me (which of course doesn't mean it's wrong haha).

But as I see it, she might at first want to jump from the hollywood sign but instead, Abel encourages to chose an option that wouldn't harm her, and they both end up happily ever after in the field.

I liked the video, I felt something when she got up and started jumping from letter to letter, a sort of desire to risk it all from her part. The sliding scène didn't do it for me, it felt a bit funny tbh but overal, I think there are nice shots and a nice theme throughout the video...

Yeah i dont feel like she is killing herself either, she happily slides down to the garden below, she doesnt launch herself off it

On 5/22/2017 at 11:02 PM, Elle said:

Does someone know what dress this is? My brother's fiancee and I really want to know.

After a quick search on Google, I found this webpage which suggested that Lana dyed her dress red (?) and found a similar dress here. But we really love the collar on Lana's dress, and I suppose one could cut the collar off of the similar one and sew an extra button but... it would be nice if we knew the actual dress (I guess it's super expensive :sadcore6:  ).

:twirls: Btw, is there a Lana fashion forum thread? A website? Should we start one? 

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png