Sign in to follow this  
Lana De Los Reyes

Mariners Apartment Complex

30 minutes ago, katebusho said:

what does board mean within the context of 'the board the lightning the thunder'

like a surfboard or a chalkboard? 

bolt made so much sense :facepalm:

who can really say, right? I think bolt would've been a better choice but this is what I guessed in another thread: 

On 8/21/2020 at 5:12 AM, takeitdoen said:

The 'board' is referring to the deck of the ship that is lashed by the weather (the 'lightning' and 'thunder'). It is saying that she is a paradox - simultaneously the potential to be both the steady ship at sea, but also the unpredictable weather that can ravage it. The lyrics question why she can't be both, and argues people are able to change depending on the people they want or need to be ('I fucked up, I know that but Jesus . . ' + 'Who I am is a big-time believer that people can change') with a sense of arresting potential ('Are you ready for it?').

You can connect other paradoxes like these across the song (another example saying that she is 'the darkness, the deepness' of the sea, but also has the ability to guide with 'You lose your way, just take my hand'). 

3lfQEhw.png

8 minutes ago, takeitdoen said:

who can really say, right? I think bolt would've been a better choice but this is what I guessed in another thread: 

thank u so much!! i didn't know this meaning of the word, but i guess lana - as the daughter of a navigator - certainly knows :flutter:

I love when you can tell how Lana writes a song according to the flow/letting her imagination stream unconsciously through the tips of the pen throughout the verses to the chorus :)

there are lana songs that i feel like she was writing upon enforcement. “this is all a verse… too structured. how should i make a chorus?” But this is one of her few compositions of which i just can see/feel that she naturally writes it. Raw- instead having the need to make it so structured. I was also thinking of born to die title track when i commented about naturally writing (it flows and matches from verse 1 to last chorus)

I will literally never forget where I was walking, in September 2018, where the lyrics "so, kiss the sky and whisper to Jesus" hit me the hardest, and suddenly, I felt strangely calm. Something in my psyche clicked at that moment, ISTG. This song has brought me comfort ever since--it is almost a mantra for me at this point; something that is both a stabilizer and a propeller for me to feel in control. 

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹