Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

All this bullshit about feeling disgust towards how she exploits certain things but you're gonna continue listening to her anyways

yes because enjoying her music means she's immune from criticism and people are one dimensional creatures who can't have mixed feelings

There's things I wanna say to you, but I'll just let you live

you're not being too sensitive at all! it's personal and it's deeply painful and as you said, everyone deals with these things differently. it absolutely will annoy me if it ever comes out officially that this was all entirely a character of hers. i.. would say though this is probably one of the main questions there is about lana and why her authenticity has been questioned a lot, aside from people wondering if she writes her own songs

No doubt she has suffered trauma, sadness, heartache, fear and disappointment just like the rest of humanity, and her time spent volunteering in homeless shelters, and other such acts, were probably sincerely motivated too.

It’s just that, as an artist, she works in artifice as well as sincerity. I don’t think she’s mocking anyone, she’s just using all facets of life and others’ reality as her creative clay. That’s all. Artists have been doing it through history—LDR will respond to whatever inspires or moves her, or catches her enthusiasm at the moment.

No doubt she has suffered trauma, sadness, heartache, fear and disappointment just like the rest of humanity, and her time spent volunteering in homeless shelters, and other such acts, were probably sincerely motivated too.

It’s just that, as an artist, she works in artifice as well as sincerity. I don’t think she’s mocking anyone, she’s just using all facets of life and others’ reality as her creative clay. That’s all. Artists have been doing it through history—LDR will respond to whatever inspires or moves her, or catches her enthusiasm at the moment.

plenty of artists throughout history and before draw from their own experiences to share insight on life from their particular perspective. i know Lana herself has said she writes about her own experiences and stuff like that, so idk how much of her lyrical content is just totally made up.  dabbling in various aesthetics to share your unique perspective i feel is different than "artifice." so the question does really become what everyone was asking when BTD came out - is she fake or what? the world may never know.  what a beautiful full circle full moon moment or maybe im jus trippin from lack of hydration in this desert that is the NFR era

I feel like ... approximately half of her shit is true, and half of it isn't. Even within the context of a given song. I remember her talking about being an escapist, but I can't remember exactly what she said. The ideas and themes probably have a basis in reality but then she embellishes the fuck out of them and makes stuff up.

I make stuff up all the time so I'm not going to criticise anyone else for doing so. :omfg2:

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

think we need to look at the definition of 'trauma' here. i think it's being used too loosely. sadness, heartache, fear and disappointment are universal, 'trauma' is not necessarily. trauma is associated with sustained abuse and witnessing certain things that often create PTSD, these things can be life threatening. 

i agree artists take things as inspiration, but what she's carved out for herself is a pretty consistent 'persona' that undoubtedly creates romance around things that relate to trauma, not just sadness, heartache, fear and disappointment

understandably people who suffer everyday or even struggle to live due to trauma will feel resentful if this has just been an accessory to her. there's a fundamental difference between writing about things and creating a character embodying these things that no one is sure is genuine

one example, as i said previously... is her making that unreleased video with marilyn manson that enacts her being raped

obviously no one knows, no one can truly say what's real and isn't and this is what is mysterious about her but i totally get people's deep resentment if this is all just an image. it depends what you've personally experienced

think we need to look at the definition of 'trauma' here. i think it's being used too loosely. sadness, heartache, fear and disappointment are universal, 'trauma' is not necessarily. trauma is associated with sustained abuse and witnessing certain things that often create PTSD, these things can be life threatening. 

i agree artists take things as inspiration, but what she's carved out for herself is a pretty consistent 'persona' that undoubtedly creates romance around things that relate to trauma, not just sadness, heartache, fear and disappointment

understandably people who suffer everyday or even struggle to live due to trauma will feel resentful if this has just been an accessory to her. there's a fundamental difference between writing about things and creating a character embodying these things that no one is sure is genuine

one example, as i said previously... is her making that unreleased video with marilyn manson that enacts her being raped

obviously no one knows, no one can truly say what's real and isn't and this is what is mysterious about her but i totally get people's deep resentment if this is all just an image. it depends what you've personally experienced

Really not in the mood to overshare again. Not the place anyway. But yeah.

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.

I do think most people suffer a series of actual, legitimate traumas over the course of their lives—spouses dying, children dying, siblings dying, bad car accidents, losing everything in a fire, drug overdoses, addiction and alcoholism, parents with dementia, brain tumors, being unfairly fired and not being able to find another job, being harassed and bullied for a given period of one’s life, being mugged or robbed, being raped...these things happen to people in America and the world every day. They’re not rare.

As far as LDR ‘playing the victim’ and/or romanticizing victimhood or playing ‘the vulnerable woman,’ that is exactly what a lot of people on the Left have charged LDR with.

My feeling is that she has the right to write songs about her own experiences, weaknesses and inner habits—if she does tend to be attracted to callous men who mistreat her, she still has the right to explore it lyrically. No one has to like it or listen to it, and, like Kim Gordon, can call her out for it.

Maybe the writing of such songs will be LDR’s road out of that frame of mind, eventually. We know she told Barrie where he could go.

Tori Amos did the same thing, took the same essentially masochistic position, but she was probably just being honest with herself: “boy, you sure look pretty...when you’re putting the damage on.”

Many on the Left like to think male screenwriters and movie producers created masochistic roles for women like Marilyn Monroe and other female actors that fostered these attitudes, and that such attitudes have no other reality, certainly not in women’s own minds and psyches.

Thus some on the Left get doubly angry at musicians like Tori Amos and LDR for writing and releasing songs like ‘Putting the Damage On,’ ‘Yayo,’ and ‘Blue Jeans,’ and continuing to enact the role in other people’s songs, like ‘Wait For Life.’

I do think most people suffer a series of actual, legitimate traumas over the course of their lives—spouses dying, children dying, siblings dying, bad car accidents, losing everything in a fire, drug overdoses, addiction and alcoholism, parents with dementia, brain tumors, being unfairly fired and not being able to find another job, being harassed and bullied for a given period of one’s life, being mugged or robbed, being raped...these things happen to people in America and the world every day. They’re not rare.

i'm not suggesting they're rare, i'm suggesting they happen predominantly to certain demographics and in certain circumstances and not others which means although not uncommon, they are not universal

all trauma is legitimate but a lot of what you're listing here is not trauma. trauma is also a medical diagnosis. trauma is associated with shock specifically, non violent/non sudden deaths, illnesses and losing your job are not trauma. alcoholism and addiction alone of themselves come under a different umbrella unless we're discussing things like withdrawal and almost dying of it. please don't make me do this with you cos it's gonna be unpleasant

As far as LDR ‘playing the victim’ and/or romanticizing victimhood or playing ‘the vulnerable woman,’ that is exactly what a lot of people on the Left have charged LDR with.

Many on the Left like to think male screenwriters and movie producers created masochistic roles for women like Marilyn Monroe and other female actors that fostered these attitudes, and that such attitudes have no other reality, certainly not in women’s own minds and psyches.

Thus some on the Left get doubly angry at musicians like Tori Amos and LDR for writing and releasing songs like ‘Putting the Damage On,’ ‘Yayo,’ and ‘Blue Jeans,’ and continuing to enact the role in other people’s songs, like ‘Wait For Life.’

ok i see what's happening here

There is a pattern, sadly.

i've been here 5 fucking minutes and i could smell it 

clearly second guessing my first impressions never ends well

it's just the way i feel