Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

The simple truth is that all those that I have come across who have gone out of their way to attack LDR have been on the Left. Like Kim Gordon and those that went after her for saying she didn’t think feminism was an interesting idea.

Just because a person says ‘on the Left’ to refer to others who took a particular course of action doesn’t mean they are not also on the Left.

what the fuck are y’all going off about?

i skipped the past couple of pages but jesus christ,

everyone is getting so bored and starting riots against LDR.

let’s all take a fucking breath. it ain’t that deep.

55-DE2-A0-B-B97-D-4347-B872-77-FA28787-E

miss born to lose

i've seen plenty of fan pages posting the video and commenting "queen of taking videos while driving" like what?? this is so fucking irresponsible and dangerous what the fuck are they (and SHE) on????????? driving and using your phone is dangerous as fuck. she could kill somebody.

she could kill h e r s e l f.

This is not cool in ANY way. why am i the only one bitching about this?? can y'all please stop cumming on doin' time for a second this is a real issue......

Most of all, it raises a few questions about where her head is at right now. 

She's putting on this big Insta baddie wannabe act and everyone's all, "leave her alone, she's HAPPY!" but this video was pretty fucking reckless. Like ... her eyes are barely on the road, at some points they're even closed, no seat belt, one hand on the wheel, etc ... Jesus. 

Does a happy and clean person  in a good headspace do this type of thing? I don't know if they do. It demonstrates a complete disregard for her own well-being and that of others. To me, she's either not doing as wonderfully as she'd have us believe, and/or her ego has gotten so large that she thinks she can't die in a car crash like any other mere mortal. 

You know, and I don't think she flipped the video for fun. I think she thought she could fool everyone into not noticing that she was driving by doing so. Which is also problematic. 

I'm so here for her crazy, but not at the expense of her well-being and that of others. 

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Not sone of y'all getting mad because you noticed that all the dramatic stories from her songs might be autobiographic :toofunny:

Writing stories is a big part of being a songwriter, where the hell have you been living?

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Not sone of y'all getting mad because you noticed that all the dramatic stories from her songs might be autobiographic :toofunny:

Writing stories is a big part of being a songwriter, where the hell have you been living?

It’s really different from that. Take for example Regina Spektor: basically all her songs are different stories about people that are most definitely not her. The thing is, even if she sings in first person, it’s clear the divide.

Lana has gone out of her way to “live” the poor life and write about it, so much that she is now famous for those themes (only I would say). Lana dedicates entire albums to gangsters and daddies and it’s clear it’s not just a story, but a persona.

Also by what you said you mean that writers can write stories about things that they have experienced, which is not even that true. Like i’m not American and I would never write a story set in the us bc I don’t know what it’s like to live there, and it would come across as not genuine and fake.

The thing is this not a critique/I’m not getting mad at her. Just a statement that I thought everybody on here would’ve been on board with

I don’t care if she sings about livin with a gangsta and riding motorbikes in New Jersey in 1956 while spying for the Russian government wearing an auburn wig. Just saying that when you spend records talking about it and your life is so clearly detached from it it’s interesting to talk about it.

But it’s clear you can’t raise points on ethics/morals here lmao

I honestly don't see the album without any of the songs she teased. They all compliment each other so well, none of them could be replaced by another one if that makes sense

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

What has been going on in here today

@@Ben Mawson tell Lana to pull her finger out of her ass and release the damn album before we go even more insane.

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Does a happy and clean person  in a good headspace do this type of thing? I don't know if they do. It demonstrates a complete disregard for her own well-being and that of others. To me, she's either not doing as wonderfully as she'd have us believe, and/or her ego has gotten so large that she thinks she can't die in a car crash like any other mere mortal. 

I drive like that all the time and I never had any problems. It's really not a big deal.

i don't know, it's bad i realise but don't a lot of people fuck around taking selfies and recording stuff in their car? obv it's bad when they're holding the phone in their hands while actually driving but even if it's on the dashboard on a stand it's a distraction. youtubers are terrible for it

what i'm saying is i don't think it necessarily indicates anything about her personally, it's just really fucking stupid and far too common

There's things I wanna say to you, but I'll just let you live

I drive like that all the time and I never had any problems. It's really not a big deal.

I feel like it kinda is a big deal when you're 33 years old and you have many young, impressionable fans who may try to emulate you, but that's just me. 

I sound like my mum and it's upsetting me; so I'm done with this topic, haha

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

We're not talking about King Diamond here though. This is Lana "So Legit" Del Rey. Someone who has been defending the authenticity of their art for years. Obviously we should have been smart enough to realize she was flat out lying, but well, we weren't. At least some of us, including myself. Call me Boo Boo the Fool, I got played and that's a fact. Kudos to you for not falling for it. You get all the cookies. Happy?

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.

I'm sorry, I'm probably just being too sensitive, but it infuriates me. This is how I feel and I can't help it. I understand what you're saying, it might not be a healthy coping mechanism but I'm definitely not in a position to judge, considering my own unhealthy coping mechanisms. We don't all deal with trauma the same way. But the thought of someone NOT having any of that trauma and NOT having suffered through any of these situations, appropriating all that pain to create a ~ tRaGiC & bEaUtiFuL~  damsel in distress persona to tug at people's heartstrings and/or sell albums makes me sick to my stomach. Or just thinking it's "cool", like what the actual fuck :awk:

Did you watch her early interviews?

She did NOT create a "damsel in distress" persona to sell records, she was never commercially driven and I think we all know that to be true, there is plenty of evidence to it. Even back in the Video Games days when she did a lot of interviews, she said her inspiration behind making songs / music was that they are beautiful, for example she put the Chateou Marmont in the Video Games music video because she loved the color scheme of the place. She did not try to exploit anyone. She just created art for herself that she thought was beautiful. She did not even know it was going to blow up and make her famous.

And as for the "trauma tourist" thing. The "sad girl / sad is beautiful" aesthetic has been thriving way before Lana has entered the scene.

Bravo, full agree, though I would say she’s “playing with artifice” rather than being fake, which, as an artist, she’s of course free to do. It’s a facet of creativity.

She did the ‘white trash’ thing for a while, then tired of it, and moved onto playing international glamour starlet, and was a ‘mafia princess’ in between. These are a series of poses, just as the multiple stage names are.

I think she’s been occasionally brilliant at all of this, which is why I am a fan.

Right now she seems—seems—to be asking us to accept the REAL Lana—that is, the real Elizabeth—with songs like MAC and HTD, but I am not sure we’ll ever see that individual in a pure state, though at least a few cells of the real Elizabeth probably exists in every track she’s ever recorded.

I’m telling you, we’re in ‘Vertigo’ territory here.

By the way, a good example of a contemporary, genuine ‘blue collar’ track that is neither sentimental nor patronizing is Parker Millsap’s ‘Central Pacific.’

Well said.  Lana "playing with artifice" and Lana being "occasionally brilliant" have never been mutually exclusive ideas, and that's why I still stan even though it's been a rough few years as a fan.  And bonus points for the "Vertigo" reference.  Would love to see her reference Vertigo in a music video sometime.

26vMNDz.gif

honestly crying at videos of lana performing in 2014, she was so passionate and hot and gorgeous and ugh elizabeth can't relate

She was really killing it

I feel like it kinda is a big deal when you're 33 years old and you have many young, impressionable fans who may try to emulate you, but that's just me. 

I sound like my mum and it's upsetting me; so I'm done with this topic, haha

She was never a role model, nor did she try to be.

girl... you could kill someone... like i've been tempted to crash my car too, i get it, but putting other people in danger is not cool