Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

It’s really different from that. Take for example Regina Spektor: basically all her songs are different stories about people that are most definitely not her. The thing is, even if she sings in first person, it’s clear the divide.

Lana has gone out of her way to “live” the poor life and write about it, so much that she is now famous for those themes (only I would say). Lana dedicates entire albums to gangsters and daddies and it’s clear it’s not just a story, but a persona.

Also by what you said you mean that writers can write stories about things that they have experienced, which is not even that true. Like i’m not American and I would never write a story set in the us bc I don’t know what it’s like to live there, and it would come across as not genuine and fake.

The thing is this not a critique/I’m not getting mad at her. Just a statement that I thought everybody on here would’ve been on board with

I don’t care if she sings about livin with a gangsta and riding motorbikes in New Jersey in 1956 while spying for the Russian government wearing an auburn wig. Just saying that when you spend records talking about it and your life is so clearly detached from it it’s interesting to talk about it.

But it’s clear you can’t raise points on ethics/morals here lmao

this. the way people are missing nuance and extremely personal feelings informed by experience here are making me so tired lolol

There's things I wanna say to you, but I'll just let you live

girl... you could kill someone... like i've been tempted to crash my car too, i get it, but putting other people in danger is not cool

Yeah it's more about this than about being/not being a role model ... I guess I don't expect someone her age to think that that's a cool or acceptable thing to do.

I am actually my mum

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

To the people who think Lana is just a "rich white woman", did you forget that

1. Her parents literally sent her away from home at the age of 14 because she had a drinking problem? Can you imagine your father just casting you out? That could not have felt good.

2. The love of her life literally did die from an overdose and we have proof that is true. You think it was easy dating an addict?

3. Her father DENIED FINANCIAL SUPPORT and they cut contact for 7 years because he did not approve of her ambitions and lifestyle. She did odd jobs here and there and babysitting to make a living. Does that sound super priviliedged to you?

She had her fair share of problems.

To the people who think Lana is just a "rich white woman", did you forget that

1. Her parents literally sent her away from home at the age of 14 because she had a drinking problem? Can you imagine your father just casting you out? That could not have felt good.

2. The love of her life literally did die from an overdose and we have proof that is true. You think it was easy dating an addict?

3. Her father DENIED FINANCIAL SUPPORT and they cut contact for 7 years because he did not approve of her ambitions and lifestyle. She did odd jobs here and there and babysitting to make a living. Does that sound super priviliedged to you?

She had her fair share of problems.

no one said she didn't have problems. you're purposefully not reading what's been said, we were specifically talking about trauma and her potentially covering subjects there's no indication she has personal experience of as part of a 'persona'

being denied financial support but also knowing you conditionally have financial support to fall back on if you make lifestyle changes is entirely different from socioeconomic based poverty where you die in the gutter with no other options, so yes.. although it was bad for her it DOES sound privileged compared to a lot of others circumstances sorry

look i do not know Lana's life or experience, so whether or not she's fake is a question maybe only she knows the answer to.  i'm just saying i believed her, i thought she really lived that life.  i know that artists are not holding a video camera up to their lives to show a completely realistic depiction of what they've been thru, but in my opinion- most *good* art is informed by real experience.  and who knows how real Lana's experience with the "underbelly of America" or whatever is.  we don't know.

but i for one am totally cool with discussing this bc theres nothing else to discuss because we are never getting the album.  what's wrong with that? it's critical thinking ab art and meaning and authenticity and trauma and beauty and life.  i dont get why certain topics are off limits.  ive always been more interested in Lana for her musical depth and what her art seems to represent than just a "yasss kween we stan" pop star

no one said she didn't have problems. you're purposefully not reading what's been said, we were specifically talking about trauma and her potentially covering subjects there's no indication she has personal experience of as part of a 'persona'

being denied financial support but also knowing you conditionally have financial support to fall back on if you make lifestyle changes is entirely different from socioeconomic based poverty where you die in the gutter with no other options, so yes.. although it was bad for her it DOES sound privileged compared to a lot of others circumstances sorry

No it does not you are just grasping at very far SJW straws to hate on an amazing person with your 96 posts

what the fuck are y’all going off about?

i skipped the past couple of pages but jesus christ,

everyone is getting so bored and starting riots against LDR.

let’s all take a fucking breath. it ain’t that deep.

It's her having normal friends that aren't homeless drug addicts or schizos that they can't understand. It ignites some severe hatred inside them for some reason.  :stareney2:

Lana bonding with her gal pals and finding a supportive community suddenly invalidates every single thing she's done and written about in the past decade, it appears. She's not allowed to seek change and surround herself with less destructive people, if it were up to LanaBoard users. Eyeroll!

look i do not know Lana's life or experience, so whether or not she's fake is a question maybe only she knows the answer to.  i'm just saying i believed her, i thought she really lived that life.  i know that artists are not holding a video camera up to their lives to show a completely realistic depiction of what they've been thru, but in my opinion- most *good* art is informed by real experience.  and who knows how real Lana's experience with the "underbelly of America" or whatever is.  we don't know.

Well in that case we should just crucify J.K Rowling and all fantasy or sci-fi writers since their art/creation is not rooted in their actual life experiences, then it can't be good right? Then it has no right to exist.

No it does not you are just grasping at very far SJW straws to hate on an amazing person with your 96 posts

i see someone else has used a dogwhistle to reveal their stance on literally everything with no decent comeback, cool lol

im sorry but aint no one reading the last 4 pages! i dont know how yall have so much to talk about 

giphy.gif

Good you shouldn't.

It's classic 2019 style internet whining where everyone has to victimize themselves.

BUT WHY DOES LANA NOT CARE ABOUT MY FEEELINGS,,????? I AM SO SURE I HAD IT WORSE THAN HER

3Mam0k0.gif

I feel like it kinda is a big deal when you're 33 years old and you have many young, impressionable fans who may try to emulate you, but that's just me. 

I sound like my mum and it's upsetting me; so I'm done with this topic, haha

She was never a role model, nor did she try to be.

Yeah, that's true. She was never a role model, and tbh, the whole role model thing is a bit stupid imo. One of the reasons I hate fame. Can you imagine that pressure of always having to stifle yourself and watch your every move because apparently a bunch of kids & dummies are blindly copying you? The fuck.

Like @@divebarsinger said, millions of people are doing it. Children and people who are easily influenced don't need to see Lana do it to think it's okay for them to do it too. Famous (and not-so-famous) vloggers have been promoting this kind of shit for years. It's everywhere.

I don't really care about the "impact". I'm worried for her safety, and the safety of the people who didn't ask to be rear-ended or run over by a goddamn lunatic who thinks it's a-ok to sing and dance and let Hillsong Jesus take the wheel (literally).

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.

i see someone else has used a dogwhistle to reveal their stance on literally everything with no decent comeback, cool lol

Well it's worthless wasting my time and effort on people like you, who already made up their mind.

Ok you think Lana is a bad person for writing about sad things. Then GTFO and never come back hater

Well it's worthless wasting my time and effort on people like you, who already made up their mind.

Ok you think Lana is a bad person for writing about sad things. Then GTFO and never come back hater

i literally never said that and you are wasting your time, mostly cos you clearly haven't read properly what anyone's said

Well in that case we should just crucify J.K Rowling and all fantasy or sci-fi writers since their art/creation is not rooted in their actual life experiences, then it can't be good right? Then it has no right to exist.

it doesnt sound like you understand what im saying.  for one thing, i said "in my opinion" and i stand by that.  if you are just making stuff up thats not based in your actual life experience, then youre probably presented something fake and inaccurate, which is, IMO, not good.  youre welcome to enjoy fakeness and inauthenticity, and just revel in empty aesthetic as art.  that's fine.  that's your prerogative.

Lana presented herself as authentic, even when BTD came out and all these music bloggers were like haha what a fake bitch, she presented her art as her lived experience.  i wish i could find the quote.  she straight up said she writes about her own life experiences, so fuck whatver people read into it.  but - fantasy/sci-fi with characters is different than music about yourself.  it's called fiction.  even so, Harry Potter did weave real life lessons in thru metaphor about like racism (purebloods vs mudbloods), class differences (malfoys vs weasleys), etc etc.

personally, my art comes from my own experience because i dont know wtf i'd write about otherwise.  just make shit up completely?  that doesnt make sense to me because someone making something up will never get it as potently or clearly as someone who really lives that.  and i get Lana has always been about "blurring the lines between the real and the fake."  i thought she was realer than she now seems.  and i think class struggle has played a huge role in her music, which is how this topic started in the first place.  i just think it's an interesting topic.  i don't understand why you are triggered that some people are having a discussion you don't agree with or understand.  if you dont wanna hear about poor people, or hear discussion ab class struggle, maybe you shouldnt live in a society that's so harshly stratified based on class.  if you think Lana's new insta saddie friends are "normal" youre really just showing your own privilege and that you dont know what that means.  life is open to interpretation, and theres many perspectives to go around.  dont shut down peoples views and perspectives.  like wtf.  there's literally 1815 pages on this topic.  i think a few more pages of people rambling ab the way they feel about this album or Lana's art in general won't kill you. breathe.