Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

Well I just got here and what I saw was people using LFL to bring down VB, which well... to each their own. But it's not cute how you're always defending the singularity of people and how different we all are and how we're entitled to have different opinions and still tell people how they should feel about a song. Aren't you the one always telling people that art is subjective? It comes off as a little hypocritical tbh but hey if you think VB is awful and have a boring solo and all that I'm gonna respect your opinion. :party:

See but you're being dramatic now and joining the status quo of over painting a picture. I didn't say I hated it. I said we don't need to act like it's the best things she ever made. That goes into the subjective of art being subjective. You dont have to put LFL down in order to show people how good NFR is. I'm almost certain now no one on this site actually reads anything and just looks for negative words, because I never said I hated Venice Bitch nor the guitar solo

giphy.gifB8iC.gifgiphy.gif

I love long and/or psychedelic songs

I don't loves snoozefests with shit lyrics

I like how me disliking Venice suddenly means I hate the entire psychedelia genre consisting of thousands of songs

U speak of logic but are u flaunting it?

what's a long psychedelic song that you like, just for reference? there's tons of different types of psychedelia & a lot of them have p dumb lyrics - bc the lyrics are used as an extension of the melody, not as a central part of the song - or no lyrics at all. maybe your kind of psychedelia is white rabbit rather than echoes, but idk and idc. but if you find the melody of VB "a snoozefest" i find it hard to believe that you love drone-y psych, but what the hell do i know. regardless, it still has NOTHING to do with may jailer or regression to a 2006 sound, which was my original point.

See but you're being dramatic now and joining the status quo of over painting a picture. I didn't say I hated it. I said we don't need to act like it's the best things she ever made. That goes into the subjective of art being subjective. You dont have to put LFL down in order to show people how good NFR is. I'm almost certain now no one on this site actually reads anything and just looks for negative words, because I never said I hated Venice Bitch nor the guitar solo

Ok sis just don't be hypocritical and start going off on people who think VB is the best thing she's ever made. It's their opinion, period.

VGi2j.gif

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

While you guys fight about LFL and VB I'm gonna sit here and enjoy both because guess what? I'm vers

VGi2j.gif

Same. I realized it's such a stupid idea to even think of convincing people to calm the fuck down when they feel the need to put down every other Lana song out there just to make their favorite better. There's no talking sense into the senseless!

VGi2j.gif

Of course BTD was dragged at first, mainly due to Lana’s perceived inauthenticity. But it is being recognized as a good album by critics - as of the late two or theee years. Do you recognize the word “retrospective?”

Perceived correctly because she was inauthentic. She literally lied saying she was too poor to get lip fillers when the results are written on her face and would get furious when questioned 

I agree that her image should have no impact when reviewing the actual music, but it did, however it was not the main attraction to the hate. Lana sounded awful on Shakira Night Live which did not help the authenticity cause (and is a direct link to their perception of her talent so it will inevitably be on reviewers minds as it was one week before the album's official release) 

True its success is celebrated nowadays & its impact is obviously prevalent. When does that equate to critical acclaim though? May I remind u that public recognition/the resurgence is not the same as critical acclaim. Yes some reviewers praise BTD when its anniversary comes around, but let's not act like it is NOW renowned as a "critics darling" type of record because it still isn't. That's what Honeymoon & LFL are for (both received well in their PRESENT time and not just upon retrospection due to "cultural impact"). BTD is more culturally effective (which in my opinion holds more merit than a critics opinion, but your initial comment was the opposite - u hold critics views to a higher regard) than critically effective. Plus, there's many classic albums out there that were not recognized as such until a later time (like Black Sabbath's self titled album & Paranoid) so no shame in that. BTD is miles better than LFL anyway

But you're placing value upon critics opinions when you know that their response to Lana's first 3 efforts (+including Paradise) was not a positive experience for her. As I mentioned before, Lana told Pitchfork in 2017 that she decided to strip things back due to the criticism she received for BTD's production

So critics hailed Lust For Life her second best album instantaneously (with no need for any "retrospection") but Born To Die didn't quite cut it for them until years later & u think that's due to the quality of the album in their minds, rather than its subsequent booming success?

I just don't see how u can hold critic's opinion to a higher regard when BTD is her lowest on metacritic's scale and LFL is her second highest (again, 1 score below Honeymoon). Unless u agree with them?

:woot: giphy.gif :woot:

I really enjoy Tame Impala's album Currents, Lana should work with Kevin Parker if she wants that sound, not Jack lol.

Tame Impala is psych pop nowadays. VB's type sound is Innerspeaker or before, not Currents or even Lonerism. so that's the distinction i was making.

Tame Impala is psych pop nowadays. VB's type sound is Innerspeaker or before, not Currents or even Lonerism. so that's the distinction i was making.

I haven't delved much into their previous records but I know Currents is pretty different. I'd love for Lana to adopt a Currents type sound. 

If Lana just erased VB from existence, we wouldn't be discussing if it's the worst or best song ever released. We would be talking in peace about other songs and maybe we wouldn't even fight! Wow, what an utopia. 

Thank you for your attention

5C0E.gif

what's a long psychedelic song that you like, just for reference? there's tons of different types of psychedelia & a lot of them have p dumb lyrics - bc the lyrics are used as an extension of the melody, not as a central part of the song - or no lyrics at all. maybe your kind of psychedelia is white rabbit rather than echoes, but idk and idc. but if you find the melody of VB "a snoozefest" i find it hard to believe that you love drone-y psych, but what the hell do i know. regardless, it still has NOTHING to do with may jailer or regression to a 2006 sound, which was my original point.

What psychedelia lacks in lyricism can be more than made up for when the composition is excellent (which Venice lacks)

Venice is nothing more than Lana whispering over a simple guitar with goofy lyrics to boot. Seems very reminiscent of May Jailer to me

I enjoy psychedelic jazz like Sextant the most and psychedelic funk like Maggot Brain. Stomu Yamashta is also good. What's that gotta do with anything tho

Okay but can we talk about the fact that LFL is the only stain in her otherwise flawless discography?

Since you started sis, I need to say it: Kylie Minogue doesn't have a a career in America, she's considered nothing here, and Britney outsold her.

And no I don't like Echoes

Saucerful of Secrets is their best in terms of psychedelia 

& White Rabbit is shit