canela

Slayyyter

14 hours ago, slayyyngel said:

I never noticed it but now that you mention it, it does sound harder than the Spotify version? Maybe it could just be how youtube compresses audio or maybe it is a different mixing. It sounds more similar to the leaked version's instrumentals, or maybe I'm just crazy.

It does :wat:

FUGjsXqWAAAhpYH?format=jpg&name=900x900

20 hours ago, pin up galore said:

idk if im late to this and everyones aware but this is definitely a different mix than the one on AM :stareney2: the levels are all different for sure :oprah3: and it fucking eats now im wondering if all the visualizers are like this 

Wow, it really sounds different! It's a lot punchier than the one on Spotify. That's so cool! 

I remember her commenting a few months ago about the next album sounding more like a soundtrack from a tropical movie. Love To Make was clearly in that vein, I have no idea why she identified more with the sound of No Comma. Love To Make was a classic at the time it was recorded. 

3 hours ago, Metaphysic said:

I remember her commenting a few months ago about the next album sounding more like a soundtrack from a tropical movie. Love To Make was clearly in that vein, I have no idea why she identified more with the sound of No Comma. Love To Make was a classic at the time it was recorded. 

Could be the album shifted much like Starfucker did. Like it went from Little Mermaid to Miami Vice lol.

It really seems like it was meant to be on Starfucker which honestly really could have sat better on the tracklist instead of Tear Me Open.

The last live of hers I watched she talked about how she would just drop songs if she could but the label wont let her and everything has to be scheduled out.

I bet if she didn't have to deal with this, the song would already be out, and so would things shes performed live before like Tommy. 

I honestly never would have thought she'd be an artist that has so many good songs in her drafts. 

24 minutes ago, slayyyngel said:

Could be the album shifted much like Starfucker did. Like it went from Little Mermaid to Miami Vice lol.

It really seems like it was meant to be on Starfucker which honestly really could have sat better on the tracklist instead of Tear Me Open.

The last live of hers I watched she talked about how she would just drop songs if she could but the label wont let her and everything has to be scheduled out.

I bet if she didn't have to deal with this, the song would already be out, and so would things shes performed live before like Tommy. 

I honestly never would have thought she'd be an artist that has so many good songs in her drafts. 

ARTISTS — FADER Label

No shade but I wonder who this team wants to invest in because I don't see any of these artists in a commercial spot.

Not feeling No Comma (even if I’m trying)… it’s more of the same…

She knows gays will eat it up but idk if the best follow up to STARFUCKER is another cunty / going to the club song. I wonder if she’s doing it because of all the Slut Pop Miami and Kim Petras copycat fiasco as a way of showing she was doing it first 

she should release Love To Make instead, I love that sound for her

23 hours ago, Anonymcomenter said:

Not feeling No Comma (even if I’m trying)… it’s more of the same…

She knows gays will eat it up but idk if the best follow up to STARFUCKER is another cunty / going to the club song. I wonder if she’s doing it because of all the Slut Pop Miami and Kim Petras copycat fiasco as a way of showing she was doing it first 

she should release Love To Make instead, I love that sound for her

I don't really like the chorus but I actually love the other parts of the song. It feels like a "vibe" song much like I Love Hollywood was for Starfucker if that makes sense?

I think she definitely released the teaser clip and started performing it early because of the Kim situation... but I don't think thats the reason behind the sound / inspiration in general. Although its funny to hear her sing "that bitch is my daughter" in No Comma. Like who else is that about lol! (And what was censored in the track? Do we know yet?) Especially after James Dean saying "She wanna sound like Slayyyter but it's not hitting.... I heard your new song and, bitch, it's not giving"

I do think though this is a good time to put out this kind of album. Charli is also doing a club album at the moment after releasing her mainstream pop sound album as well. It feels like thats just what people want right now.

Does anyone have clips / recording of the recent live she just did?

People on twitter are saying in the live she said she wanted to quit music and "may only have one album left" but I can't find any evidence of the live.

1 hour ago, Metaphysic said:

Now in Charli's Boiler room she teased a song called Spring Breakers...

See how every time Slayyyter tries something, there's always girls ahead of her. 

Like... 

i’ve been saying this… love slayyyter to death but everything she does is derivative of something else someone else has done

STARFUCKER is probably one of my favourite albums of last year it’s been on replay non stop I genuinely think she’s on the verge of being massive especially with the visuals. I saw her in London and she has improved live so much I was amazed/ me and my boyfriend met her after the show and she was the sweetest and posted me on her insta lmfao :dance4: Kathy better not quit 

AstonishingPoisedFruitfly-size_restrictetumblr_n4u8spzSeQ1trmnojo1_500.gifv

I think trying to compare Charli and her is really ineffective tbh but if Slayyyter is somehow derivative because Charli is releasing Spring Breakers then I dont know what to tell you about Charli's recent lyrical output...

I can see why shes allegedly getting really tired of the constant comparisons and wanting to get off socials cause damn can the girl release club songs about sex drugs and money without someone saying shes copying someone or someone is copying her as if these concepts havent been in this genre for decades already... (Kim still copied btw)

This post is edited from the original post.

I'm going to present a few points here and I'd like you to comment just to help me understand what Slayyyter wants for herself. 

About comparisons. 

I can't imagine an era in which there were major pop singer brands that weren't either compared or rivaled. Britney and Christina. Madonna and Cher. Madonna and Lady Gaga. Lady Gaga and Katy Perry. Katy Perry and Taylor Swift. Even Sharpay Evans and Gabriela from HSM. I'm not saying it's right to do it, but on the pop scene, it's always happened. What I can imagine Slayyyter feels is that she doesn't want to be compared to Kim Petras and Ava Max, because Slayyyter must believe that her pop is better. Which I also agree with for some things. The content that Slayyyter has is much more interesting than what even big pop singers do? Absolutely. But if she doesn't want the general public's opinion to be in comparison, then do something that the other girls can't catch up with. Slayyyter didn't even took a risk with writting. Her songs with raps about sex and stuff is cute campy but is not smart or deep level on writing... the pen is not penning like some demo songs (Dangerous and Swimming Pool got the best bars and en-tundras FOR ME).

I don't want her to feel dumb about my analysis, but I see that she's capable of much more. Alternative singers (Fiona Apple, Polacheck, Sky Ferreira, etc) who haven't had a taste of fame like Doja Cat or Billie Eillish, don't care if their fans' validation follows the academy. By that I mean critical approval. Starfucker didn't even tickle the music media. Apart from the fans and those who love pop, who has talked about the album? Fantano doing reels on youtube? A tweet from Pop Crave? And that brings me to my next point...

I don't feel that Slayyyter is taking her career seriously just for the schedule.

What's the point of an artist performing a song for months on a tour that opened with Tove Lo and only releasing it after a year? She performed Erotic Eletronic at a party with Aquaria. She performed I Love Hollywood. She performed My Body. And no album out. No announce to make. But why? She has the right to do what she wants, but it certainly affected her performance because of the time these songs weren't on digital platforms, which also implies piracy (not her fault, but a consequence). It feels like she had no plan at all.

Then there's Out Of Time as the lead single. A song like a promo with just a few videos on youtube, twitter and instagram. 5 months after its release, a performance on Vevo. I understand the issue of spending money on visuals, but she had an amateur video. Then Miss Belladonna, another single with no video clip with bad promo on social media. Erotic Eletronic. And not to mention that in May she performed James Dean at the Boiler Room in New York. But it wasn't until November that we had the track. Seriously, people, let me know if I'm the only one bothered by this and I'll stop.  

Now, I don't want to put all this on her back. Because she has a team with a lot of people working on it, but she's apparently not doing it in an organized way.  I remember halfway through Club Paradise, the costumes weren't the same, she lost her suitcase in Europe, she was already using another set list for the show, she changed the remixes. It's the same with Club Valentine, one hour there's a Gimme More remix, the next there's not. Out of nowhere No Comma, the demo of Love To Make. And then out of nowhere No Comma and her hair flapping like a rebel on stage. I can see that she can have a lot of fun, but she doesn't seem to be taking things seriously. I hope that one day she'll be able to perform with a live band and just let her mouth do the talking. 

I'm more of a metalhead. Bands like Deftones, Babymetal, I Prevail and even Poppy are my favorites. So I'm getting used to a roll out of circular eras of artists with a loyal fan base. Since 2019 I've been hooked on Slayyyter because she has a genius mind. I'll be supporting all day till the day I die. Forever Slayyyter.

I dont disagree at all.

I have been asking these same questions about the scheduling / release of the singles, the songs she sang since Tove Lo tour. None of it made sense from a calculated scheduled planned release.

She only made no-budget videos (that ended up being amazing anyways?!) after so many people were asking over and over again about visuals. They were rushed / made last minute and dropped quickly only because so many people were asking. None of it was planned. Or at least thats how it seemed. If she can make something like those videos on a rushed timeframe and no budget, why didnt she just do that from the beginning, and use the video drop as promo for the single in the first place? Why wouldn't you have done this for the lead single of the album? I was so, so, so confused to see no Out of Time video. Literally was just checking all her socials like "where tf is it?". It made no sense.

There WERE video visuals shot for every song of the album. How could that not have been turned into a video for Out of Time? Was there really not time to lip sync the song into a camera from a few different locations / outfits while you were doing all of those shots? Like idk I'm in the creative industry and have edited video before, but I'm not a musician or know what its like to deal with a label so idk what limitations she has.

In my mind its absolutely never a good idea to perform a song before it has been dropped. The whole point of the Tove Lo tour should have been to promote and emphasize you have a new album coming out. She had like 4 songs unreleased for Tove Lo. Why didn't she just drop the first single before this tour and then sing that one song and MENTION during the opening that it was for your upcoming album and your new single...

I would say she's just not thinking ahead enough in this marketing / business mindset, as a lot of artists do.... but I don't know. Shes a very good creative director. She has a great vision for how she wants her albums to be presented. You'd think she'd think about this too. But a lot of artists are not good at marketing/business things. So I really don't know where she falls in that aspect in actuality, but it feels like she isn't thinking about it critically. Not to mention the last live I watched of hers, she was talking about "i cant just drop songs whenever i want to, because im on a label everything has to be a rollout". And its like, okay Cathy, maybe there is a reason for that. They aren't always right, look at Von Dutch being "rollout"'ed into the fucking ground and now nobody wants to listen to that song... but theres a middle ground.

As far as advertising, I really think she is doing all that she can with what she is given. Shes went on some podcasts, she has done a lot of interviews, photoshoots, etc. theres not much else she can do but pray for a tiktok viral moment. Again, as someone in the creative industry, that literally is the make or break point right now, and that fucking SUCKS because there genuinely is no way to 100% guarantee a viral moment. Gimme More remix keeps trending every now and then and she has recently hinted at actually getting it released.... but can she? Having all the music accounts talking about a Britney Spears remix with her name attached to it would certainly put a lot of new eyes on her. But Britney is such a monolith. The only thing I think that she should consider is looking into getting on a late night talk show performance slot, like Rina Sawayama did in the past.

And with No Comma, I do actually think that snippet dropping randomly worked for her. Unfortunately shes not such a big artist that it made a trending buzz. But it definitely seemed to make a lot of people on twitter get energized for new stuff from her. Performing Love to Make is so, so weird. If its not releasing why perform it except just out of boredom? Like is she just really bored of Starfucker songs at this point considering how long she was recording these songs? But again I would have never performed No Comma until the single was out. She has multiple pride shows in the summer months after the single is supposed to drop. Can you really not wait like 3 months and just slot something else in instead?? Now we've heard the song in full. 

As for the comparisons, I absolutely see and understand where the anger is coming from and I actually do think its justified. I think anyone in her position would be rightfully angry just constantly everywhere hearing about Kim Petras, Ayesha, and Charli and Ava Max and WHOEVER random person some f-- is yelling at her about this week. Its completely taken over her tweets, instagram posts, tiktoks, her livestream chats. Like GODDDD these people are so annoying. But you're right. This happens all the time in pop music and is happening right now with other artists... shes just really gotta not mention it and not give anyone fuel to keep talking about it tbh. Thats all she can do and not let it bother her so much. 

As far as "doing something the other girls cant catch up to", honestly I do think she is trying to do that. I don't think Starfucker did that (sonically). But look at James Dean and No Comma. These songs definitely don't fit on Kim or Charli or anybody elses records. I do think she is trying to clear a space for herself by honing in on this punk/grunge 'dirty' element influencing her work and performance style recently that the other girls are not doing. She just has to put out that record. And like we said, be methodical and mindful about how its being released.