Lana Del Rey

Caroline Polachek

Fuck, I have slept on Chairlift way too long, of course as a big fan of Charli's "Tears" and Caroline's "Pang" album (to me, the best album of 2019) I have heard some songs from Chairlift catalogue, but I took the time today to play their last album and pay attention to it and..

Wow, the first 5 songs of "Moth" are flawless, powerful and so well crafted, they are like just the oposite to "Pangs" first 5 songs in sound.
From the last 5 songs (which I liked a lot lot) the stand out was that amazing closing track.

Right now I'm doing the same with "Something" and FUCK it's really good too, I'm in track four in this very moment ("Take It Out on Me") and her vocals and the melody are really impressive.

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

11 minutes ago, Roger said:

Fuck, I have slept on Chairlift way too long, of course as a big fan of Charli's "Tears" and Caroline's "Pang" album (to me, the best album of 2019) I have heard some songs from Chairlift catalogue, but I took the time today to play their last album and pay attention to it and..

Wow, the first 5 songs of "Moth" are flawless, powerful and so well crafted, they are like just the oposite to "Pangs" first 5 songs in sound.
From the last 5 songs (which I liked a lot lot) the stand out was that amazing closing track.

Right now I'm doing the same with "Something" and FUCK it's really good too, I'm in track four in this very moment ("Take It Out on Me") and her vocals and the melody are really impressive.

Something is definitely their best album, but Does You Inspire You is legit one of my fav albums ever. Bruises and PLANET FUCKIN HEALTH. Reallllly wish I would’ve found them as a kid so I could’ve been a fan. ):

16 minutes ago, veinsineon said:

Something is definitely their best album, but Does You Inspire You is legit one of my fav albums ever. Bruises and PLANET FUCKIN HEALTH. Reallllly wish I would’ve found them as a kid so I could’ve been a fan. ):

I get u!

Well, right now I'm in "Grown Up Blues" (so far it sounds so good, but it would've been better next to Amanaemonesia) and leave Guilty as Charged as the closer. 
"Something" sure is very varied in sound, more experimental compared to the "play safe yet well crafted pop" sound of "Moth", but I must say the only songs that really stood out for me were the first 7 tracks (excluding Ghost Tonight, which I liked but felt ok ish to me in the first listen)

God... "Cool as a Fire" was an experience!

Track 8 to 11 are more left-field for me right now, I need more plays but I'm sure I'll like em a lot once I listen to them more.

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

Just now, Roger said:

I get u!

Well, right now I'm in "Grown Up Blues" (so far it sounds so good, but it would've been better next to Amanaemonesia) and leave Guilty as Charged as the closer. 
"Something" sure is very varied in sound, more experimental compared to the "play safe yet well crafted pop" sound of "Moth", but I must say the only songs that really stood out for me were the first 7 tracks (excluding Ghost Tonight, which I liked but felt ok ish to me in the first listen)

God... "Cool as a Fire" was an experience!

Track 8 to 11 are more left-field for me right now, I need more plays but I'm sure I'll like em a lot once I listen to them more.

I’m such a big fan of Frigid Spring. You can just heaaaar the Cocteau Twins she was channeling there and it gives me such a nostalgic feeling. Aghhh!!! I’m so jealous that I’m gonna go listen lol

Just now, veinsineon said:

I’m such a big fan of Frigid Spring. You can just heaaaar the Cocteau Twins she was channeling there and it gives me such a nostalgic feeling. Aghhh!!! I’m so jealous that I’m gonna go listen lol

Frigid Spring was the most interesting to me imo. 

Have never heard music from Cocteau Twins, even though some of my faves are fans of them (Björk, Sky, Caroline..)

Update with my delightful "first listen" to the full Chairlift albums:

I'm halfway in their debut (last album to play) and:
- I'm in "Territory" and holy fuck...

- "Planet Health" is epic

- "Health" needs more time

- "Evident Utensil" is interesting

The rest still needs more plays but I like em, tbh this album is the most experimental of em all.

Btw in this site you can get many Chairlift rarities in case you haven't heard of them or don't have them:
http://sacateuncompac.blogspot.com/search/label/Chairlift
- Daytrotter Sessions 1 and 2
- Let's Turn LA Back Into a Forest EP
- Something Demos EP
- Daylight Savings EP
- Other Rarities (Something japanese 3 bonus tracks, other songs...)

Download link is either typed or just click the picture/cover in the post!

2 hours ago, True Bromance said:

Honestly I would die for a Caroline Polachek album with more intense PC production (Kinda like Ashes Of Loves and Tears)

"Ashes of Love" was annoying to me but "Tears" is wow.
I kinda expected "Pang" album to be more intense like "Ocean of Tears", once she released "SHYHMF" I thought it would be a very poppy album, then I heard "Door" and "Look at Me Now" and thought "wow this sounds immaculate so far".

Not gonna lie... the thing that disappoinnted me the most were:
1) the lack of more intense tracks (the only two songs that to me were what I expected are "Hurt Me..." and "I Give Up")
2) Caroline Shut Up, I expected something very wacky and experimental... it was very tame to me.

23 minutes ago, veinsineon said:

Door is literally the best song ever made

I love Door so much, the part "Back in the city, I'm just another girl in a sweater" sounds to me very humbled and down to earth that makes me connect to her in an emotional level, no matter how much she has accomplished or how an artistic genius she is, she is just another girl, a human, a person... she's not one of those way-too-popular-to-enjoy-a-stroll pop star that may or may not have the same REAL talent.

To me her best song ever is "Look at Me Now" as it's very relatable to me, along with Crying in Public, both in the first listen turned out as instant lifetime favorite.

I hope she releases an special edition of Pang with demos and outtakes.

And I'm dying to hear her sophomore, I bet it's going to be more upbeat.

And I can almost feel it, she will be featured in Marina's female album project, I just want it to be true and it's so possible.

23 minutes ago, Roger said:

I love Door so much, the part "Back in the city, I'm just another girl in a sweater" sounds to me very humbled and down to earth that makes me connect to her in an emotional level, no matter how much she has accomplished or how an artistic genius she is, she is just another girl, a human, a person... she's not one of those way-too-popular-to-enjoy-a-stroll pop star that may or may not have the same REAL talent.

To me her best song ever is "Look at Me Now" as it's very relatable to me, along with Crying in Public, both in the first listen turned out as instant lifetime favorite.

In her AMA on Reddit she started to delve into this idea that every song on Pang and her writing style nowadays is more geared towards stimulating that nostalgic part of your brain that feels like a familiar comfort. And since I didn’t know who she was until Door dropped it just all makes sense. Pang as an album feels like a piece of art that can be for anyone to take what they need from it, all while feeling supported in it. It’s quite genius it’s like she’s an audio-centric philanthropist. 

1 minute ago, veinsineon said:

In her AMA on Reddit she started to delve into this idea that every song on Pang and her writing style nowadays is more geared towards stimulating that nostalgic part of your brain that feels like a familiar comfort. And since I didn’t know who she was until Door dropped it just all makes sense. Pang as an album feels like a piece of art that can be for anyone to take what they need from it, all while feeling supported in it. It’s quite genius it’s like she’s an audio-centric philanthropist. 

I fell last year into serious depression and anxiety, so much that I fell hard on drugs, "Pang" was one hell of a pain relief, it helped me so much

"It’s quite genius it’s like she’s an audio-centric philanthropist." agree so much.

I just can see "Pang" as a timeless album.

Is it true that there's a demo from the Pang tracklist that leaked before the album release? Dunno if it was Door or Parachute, I saw someone tweeting to Caroline and I guess Caroline got angry about it, I remember I read something like that on Twitter, wasn't able to find those tweets tho.